Epson Artisan 50 Print ID Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worwind

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
The Epson R280 and other R series printers print high quality ID cards using inkjet PVC ID cards. However, as soon as Epson discovered people could use their R series printers to print ID cards they discontinued them and replaced them with the Artisan 50. The Artisan 50 is almost identical to the R280. Other than the labels it has identical appearance. specifications, and dimensions. However, it has been modified so that it will only print in the designated CD area when using the tray. For an example of an ID printed with the Artisan 50 see:
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/DCWornock/IDArtisan50.jpg

You might wonder why Epson would spend over $1,000,000 and lose $tens of millions in sales to prevent people from using their printers to print ID cards. All major corporations and the government are in bed together and the government doesn't want us commoners to make ID cards and the $5,000 and counting ID printers are too expensive for us.

That said, since the printers are nearly identical, it can only be a minor change, perhaps in the wiring harness to active "Print CD" when the tray is inserted or in the driver. Does anyone know what the change is and if there is a way to eliminate the problem so the Artisan 50 will print over the entire surface area just like the R280 and other Epson R series printers do?

Solution
G
Yes, it's possible, here is how :

First, install your printer using the Aritsan 50 drivers. Then download the drivers for the r260 from the epson site. Run the install and when it comes to the part of asking if you want it detected or not, click choose location. Then select the already installed artisan 50 which should be something like USB0001. Complete the install and then choose the r260 as the printer in photoshop. You will have two epson monitors running at the bottom, one for the 50 and other for the r260. the r260 will not give proper ink status. Thats why you can leave the 50 active too

good luck

Worwind

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Yes the Epson R800 should be worth more. However, it may take a while because very few people realize the Epson Artisan CD/DVD will not print over the entire surface area. Also, now not many people know you can use the Epson printers to print very inexpensive ID cards. Corporations and government agencies use $5,000 ID cards printers and most people that just want one to a few ID cards are still using synthetic paper laminated inside of butterfly pouches.

The butterfly pouches and synthetic paper cost more than inkjet ID cards. They are far more work to make, They are not PVC ID cards and with close examination will not pass as PVC ID cards. Furthermore, the laminators cost almost as an R280 and you can buy used R280s on Cragslist for less than the price of the laminator.

G

First, install your printer using the Aritsan 50 drivers. Then download the drivers for the r260 from the epson site. Run the install and when it comes to the part of asking if you want it detected or not, click choose location. Then select the already installed artisan 50 which should be something like USB0001. Complete the install and then choose the r260 as the printer in photoshop. You will have two epson monitors running at the bottom, one for the 50 and other for the r260. the r260 will not give proper ink status. Thats why you can leave the 50 active too

good luck

Solution

Worwind

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

good luck

Thank you. It is amazing to me that, out of all the possible combinations, that anyone could figure that out.

souther32

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I have read your post and tried to print to the r260 instead of the artisan 50. I receive an error message saying

"Attempting to connect to a different device from that specified in the driver. Check the driver settings and the device."
I have installed both drivers and can print from the artisan 50 just fine

Is there any way to force print?

Thank you

Worwind

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
G

i can get all of the printing issues worked out. my only problem is it wont print right on the id, it prints at the very bottom of it and then continues to print a little bit off of the pvc cards so im forced to shut it down. any suggestions? btw very informative, thanks for all the help so far.

G

Has anybody made it to do the correct configuration on mac os 10.6. I'm having a lot of trouble, even if I execute correctly all the procedures. The printer managing option works fine, but I still cannot print pvc cards correctly. The artisan 50 is recognized with the r260 drivers, and I do not see the ink levels when logged as R260. But when I give the print command the print-job disappears from the print queue, without printing anything. When I print with Artisan 50 I get the CD holes on the card.

Please help!

Worwind

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

The firmware and instructions works fine if reading and following 13 simple steps, which also include screen shots to provide both written instructions and a picture, is not too difficult for you.

DZoid1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Hey guys, I read an older post about this issue. I managed to solved it using the information provided... using the Epson 260 drivers.. It worked! Thanks! How ever when it came to print the ID it self, the ID printed like a CD/DVD with the corners missing and being rounded with the outline of a CD. Does anyone know how to solve this issue so it prints like a "Sheet" not as a cd?? Any help would get great. Thank You!

Worwind

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

This is not the best method. However, it is the simplist method:

1. Install the Artisan 50. Then using the Icon or program "Epson Print CD" make certain that you can print to a CD. If you have the ID tray, you can use it provided you place two inkjet ID cards into the. Two ID cards must be installed in the tray. If you only place one ID card into the tray the tray will be rejected because you don't have a smooth level surface.

2. Install the R260 driver.

3. Go to Control panel, select Printers and devices or whatever is similar for your operating system.

4. Select Artisan 50. Right click, select properties and advance or whatever, and under drivers change the driver for the Artisan 50 to R260. This may require using your brain because the steps are different with different operating systems.

You can then print both documents and ID cards. When printing ID cards:
a. Select print.
b. Select properties.
3. Under paper options change Type to CD/DVD then Change Source to CD/DVD. If you select Source first, you get a popup.

Your ink levels will not show when printing ID cards. Nor will your inklevels show when printing documents unless you go to Control Panel and change driver to Artisan 50. When printing you will also get the message "Different device than specified." There is nothing you can do about that. However, you can print.

Finally, even though your ink levels do not show, if an ink cartridge is empty, the ink light will flash. Open the top lid and at the back of larger and left opening there is a small arrow or pointer. Press the flashing ink light and the ink cartridge will move until the pointer points to the empty cartridge. Press the ink light again and replace the empty cartridge.

Christopher01

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
If you are looking to get your ID card printed, it’s always best to opt for professional and experienced ID card printers. There are so many ID card printers out there who claim to be professionals, but one has to careful before choosing one. just my thought !

collergeo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Are you excited about printing your company identification cards? Before you look for print ID Card, You will need a portable ID card printer and the corresponding ID card software.

TIDEWATERHUSTLER

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

CAN U SEND ME THE FIX FOR THE EPSON ARTISAN 50 TO PRINT ON THE INTIRE CARD

lijster112

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

did you try the ebay link (i't's not there any more) or the instructions of worwind?
I have bought the Epson p50. That would be the same as the t50 or artisan50.

hope that you can help me out

best regards,

Jop

valentinp

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

good luck

Hello , im having an epson p50 and an id tray . I tried the steps you mentioned and i didnt succeed. Im running windows 7 32 bit version on my pc.

Can u please help me to solve this matter ?

Best regards, Vali

littlefox

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hello,

My asking is I have EPSON P50 and ID CARDS PRINTIS was fine... Now I can't print ID card and I don't know why can anybody help me with this trouble.
I try to preinstall the drivers and so many variants but nothing : ( (

stevenjm

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hi, I have got all the problems sorted as to printing and I purchased 50 inkjet id cards off ebay that came from china.

My problem is that when I print anything on the card it doesnt dry and just seems to react with plastic.
Do I need some sort of special ink (i am just using generic replacement epson cartidges) or is it more likely I was scammed and just received normal pvc cards instead of the inkjet cards that it says it is?

Any advice much appreciated.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.