TECH: Mr. and Mrs Pac Man sound weirdness

Last response: in Video Games
June 25, 2005 10:04:54 AM

Finally got a Mr. and Mrs. Pac Man running that had a number of
problems. Unfortunately, in setting the sound options, I seem to have
lost the FX.

The MPU was replaced and all options cleared by loss of battery power
in that process. BEFORE I knew about setting option 18 in the setup,
I could get sound effects but no voice or waka waka sound. AFTER
setting option 18 to 03, I get voice and waka waka, but when you hit
something that should have a sound effect, the waka waka goes silent,
but there's no effect sound.

Any ideas why this happened, or what to check?
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 10:04:55 AM

The sound board has 2 volume controls... one for voice, and one for sound
effects...

did you check these...

Philip

"Vic Ireland" <vicNOS*P*A*Mireland@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Finally got a Mr. and Mrs. Pac Man running that had a number of
> problems. Unfortunately, in setting the sound options, I seem to have
> lost the FX.
>
> The MPU was replaced and all options cleared by loss of battery power
> in that process. BEFORE I knew about setting option 18 in the setup,
> I could get sound effects but no voice or waka waka sound. AFTER
> setting option 18 to 03, I get voice and waka waka, but when you hit
> something that should have a sound effect, the waka waka goes silent,
> but there's no effect sound.
>
> Any ideas why this happened, or what to check?
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:03:59 PM

Yes, I've run both pots on the sound board to max and min a few times.
The "sound" one is the one that does the waka waka and USED to do the
effects. I used to have effects when rollovers and targets were hit,
but no waka waka. Now I have waka waka, but no sound effects (just
voice, run through the other pot).

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 02:58:53 -0400, "Philip Lathroum"
<lathroum@cablespeed.com> wrote:

> The sound board has 2 volume controls... one for voice, and one for sound
>effects...
>
>did you check these...
>

>Philip
>
>"Vic Ireland" <vicNOS*P*A*Mireland@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Finally got a Mr. and Mrs. Pac Man running that had a number of
>> problems. Unfortunately, in setting the sound options, I seem to have
>> lost the FX.
>>
>> The MPU was replaced and all options cleared by loss of battery power
>> in that process. BEFORE I knew about setting option 18 in the setup,
>> I could get sound effects but no voice or waka waka sound. AFTER
>> setting option 18 to 03, I get voice and waka waka, but when you hit
>> something that should have a sound effect, the waka waka goes silent,
>> but there's no effect sound.
>>
>> Any ideas why this happened, or what to check?

June 26, 2005 1:17:36 PM

IIRC there is also a switch setting that controls background sound
effects. Used to have one, and lost sound (and some other things) when
I moved the pin to the new house. Seemed odd that the switches were
changed, but that's what happened. LOTS of vibration in the back of a
moving van, I guess. Check your dip switches...
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 11:12:48 PM

All I found was attract mode sound on the hard dip switches. The
"feature" sounds seem to be controlled by option 18 on the software
setup. Still have no effects that I used to have before I turned on
the voice.

!