I've seen some speculation in the xp groups, but not a clear authoritative
answer for this.

I'm trying to make sure I'm properly prepared for any future crashes and/or
motherboard upgrades.

Question: If I have a XP system with Service Pack 2 installed, does the
bootable XP CD also have to be at SP 2 for a Repair Install to work?

Thanks to anyone that knows the answer.

Bruce.

Bruce Chastain wrote:
> I've seen some speculation in the xp groups, but not a clear
> authoritative answer for this.
>
> I'm trying to make sure I'm properly prepared for any future crashes
> and/or motherboard upgrades.
>
> Question: If I have a XP system with Service Pack 2 installed, does
> the bootable XP CD also have to be at SP 2 for a Repair Install to
> work?

No, but you will be repaired to the SP level of that CD, so if you use a
SP1 CD then all of the updates after SP1 will need to be reinstalled.

Of course, nothing is perfect, so sometimes you'll find a repair install
won't work in all situations, and a clean install may be a necessary.
The smart thing to do when repair installing is to prepare to do a clean
install, before doing the repair, just in case things go south.

--
Peace!
Kurt

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

A standard XP CD will NOT allow running a repair install in this situation.
An error message will advise that it cannot be installed over a newer
version of Windows. Some vendor restore media may fail to detect the newer
version and may run against a newer SP level. In that case, they may
severely damage the OS. Making a slipstreamed CD is definitely the way to
go.
--

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:uMo6MXonFHA.1468@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>A standard XP CD will NOT allow running a repair install in this situation.

Ok, that makes 2 "yes"s and 1 "no" in this thread.

> Making a slipstreamed CD is definitely the way to go.

In the works.

Thanks,
Bruce.

Bruce Chastain wrote:
> "GTS" <x> wrote in message
>> A standard XP CD will NOT allow running a repair install in this
>> situation.
>
> Ok, that makes 2 "yes"s and 1 "no" in this thread.
>
>> Making a slipstreamed CD is definitely the way to go.
>
> In the works.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/c186f16815db8bed/a5a1fcd163900b64?hl=en#a5a1fcd163900b64

Read it. It has been fought out, and the definitive answer is that it
will work, by those that have actually done it, though nothing is 100%
perfect, especially when it comes to computing.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

connor

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:36:20 -0500, "Bruce Chastain"
<bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:

>I've seen some speculation in the xp groups, but not a clear authoritative
>answer for this.
>
>I'm trying to make sure I'm properly prepared for any future crashes and/or
>motherboard upgrades.
>
>Question: If I have a XP system with Service Pack 2 installed, does the
>bootable XP CD also have to be at SP 2 for a Repair Install to work?
>
>Thanks to anyone that knows the answer.
>
>Bruce.

No, but after you do the repair install you have to go to Microsoft
update and get SP2 and latest Hotfixes installed so it would be better
if you made a SP2 slipstreamed XP boot cdrom as it would save you time
in the long run. When you do a repair install it overwrites all the
system files so you are starting from scratch and you are no longer up
to date.

"Connor" <Connor@here.invalid> wrote in message
> No, but after you do the repair install you have to go to Microsoft
> update and get SP2 and latest Hotfixes installed so it would be better
> if you made a SP2 slipstreamed XP boot cdrom as it would save you time
> in the long run.

Understood and thanks. I'll look in to creating a slipstreamed version of
the XP CD for future use.

Bruce.

> Read it. It has been fought out, and the definitive answer is that it
> will work, by those that have actually done it, though nothing is 100%
> perfect, especially when it comes to computing.

Very interesting thread. Thanks for the link.

Bruce.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Interesting. I have personally seen the error reported as well as seeing
multiple reports of same in the news groups, but I take your word that it
can sometimes be done. It's odd that it should be inconsistent and probably
is inadvisable in any case. Thanks for the info.

kurttrail wrote:
> Bruce Chastain wrote:
>> "GTS" <x> wrote in message
>>> A standard XP CD will NOT allow running a repair install in this
>>> situation.
>>
>> Ok, that makes 2 "yes"s and 1 "no" in this thread.
>>
>>> Making a slipstreamed CD is definitely the way to go.
>>
>> In the works.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bruce.
>

> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/c186f16815db8bed/a5a1fcd163900b64?hl=en#a5a1fcd163900b64
>
> Read it. It has been fought out, and the definitive answer is that it
> will work, by those that have actually done it, though nothing is 100%
> perfect, especially when it comes to computing.

I can attest that it will work, when I built this system a few months ago, I
did a repair install of XP Pro SP2, using my XP Pro SP1 cd.
It did the repair install just fine, however of course I did have to
download and install SP2 afterwards.

--
Don Burnette

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> I can attest that it will work, when I built this system a few months ago,
> I did a repair install of XP Pro SP2, using my XP Pro SP1 cd.
> It did the repair install just fine, however of course I did have to
> download and install SP2 afterwards.

Thanks very much for info.

Bruce.

GTS wrote:
> Interesting. I have personally seen the error reported as well as seeing
> multiple reports of same in the news groups, but I take your word that it
> can sometimes be done. It's odd that it should be inconsistent and probably
> is inadvisable in any case. Thanks for the info.

In my experience it isn't inconsistent. As was pointed out in the
thread linked by Kurt, alhtough rather deep in the thread so you may not
have gotten that far, you start the repair install by booting the PC
with the lower SP level disk. You do it like that and you won't see any
error message and when you are done your Windows SP level will be the
level that was on the disk that you used for the repair install.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Tom Porterfield wrote:
> GTS wrote:
>> Interesting. I have personally seen the error reported as well as
>> seeing multiple reports of same in the news groups, but I take your
>> word that it can sometimes be done. It's odd that it should be
>> inconsistent and probably is inadvisable in any case. Thanks for
>> the info.
>
> In my experience it isn't inconsistent. As was pointed out in the
> thread linked by Kurt, alhtough rather deep in the thread so you may
> not have gotten that far, you start the repair install by booting the
> PC with the lower SP level disk. You do it like that and you won't
> see any error message and when you are done your Windows SP level
> will be the level that was on the disk that you used for the repair
> install.

That might just be the confusion. What is a "repair install" really?

A "repair install" is the process of booting to the install CD, and
choosing to repair an existing but broken Windows installation on a
harddrive.

It seems that some people may be wrongly calling an "upgrade install,"
started within an already running Windows installation, a "repair
install," which it really isn't.

Like some people wrongly call a computer case and its contents the
"CPU," when the "CPU" is really just a relatively small chip inside the
computer case located on the motherboard.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:51:49 -0400, Tom Porterfield

>...you start the repair install by booting the PC
>with the lower SP level disk. You do it like that and you won't see any
>error message and when you are done your Windows SP level will be the
>level that was on the disk that you used for the repair install.

I can see one situation where this could be disasterous: HD over 137G
meets the original "fit to ship" XP SP0.

This is one situation (there may well be others) where it is
essential, rather than merely desirable, to be able to generate a
slipstreamed installation disk of an SP level higher than what you
originally acquired with the system.

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:40:46 +0200, cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:

> I can see one situation where this could be disasterous: HD over 137G
> meets the original "fit to ship" XP SP0.
>
> This is one situation (there may well be others) where it is
> essential, rather than merely desirable, to be able to generate a
> slipstreamed installation disk of an SP level higher than what you
> originally acquired with the system.

Excellent point Chris. As Kurt said in the thread that has been cited in
this one several times, before proceeding with this you better make sure
you know what you are doing, and MAKE SURE all important data is BACKED UP
first.

In addition to that, before proceeding make sure you know what you are
doing, and MAKE SURE all important data is BACKED UP first.

And finally, before proceeding with this make sure you know what you are
doing, and MAKE SURE all important data is BACKED UP first.

And it's probably worth this as well
(http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/43f3db8e7df126e4?hl=en&).

For those who aren't sure what Chris is writing about, see this KB article
- http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303013.

And then for those who think that if they have SP1 then they are safe on HD
drives larger than 137 GB, see this article -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331958.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:27:35 -0400, Tom Porterfield
>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:40:46 +0200, cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:

>And then for those who think that if they have SP1 then they are safe on HD
>drives larger than 137 GB, see this article -
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331958.

Eish! That was me, until I read that!!

Ta muchly, wise Tom!

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...