Outlook express editing in plain text ?

August 11, 2005 8:29:48 PM

Hi,

Sometimes when I want to write a post for a newsgroup I would like to paste
some text from a website into the message. However outlook express then
copies all text layout like font and font size and colors etc.

I would like to edit the complete message in plain text. So when pasting
text from a website all text makeup/markup/formatting stuff should be
removed etc...

Is it possible to make outlook express's editor do that for me ?

My current solution would be to paste the text first in textpad and then
copy it to outlook express ;)

(In textpad it loses all makeup/markup/formatting etc >D lol )

Bye,
Skybuck.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 8:29:49 PM

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes when I want to write a post for a newsgroup I would like to
> paste some text from a website into the message. However outlook
> express then copies all text layout like font and font size and
> colors etc.
>
> I would like to edit the complete message in plain text. So when
> pasting text from a website all text makeup/markup/formatting stuff
> should be removed etc...
>
> Is it possible to make outlook express's editor do that for me ?
>
> My current solution would be to paste the text first in textpad and
> then copy it to outlook express ;)
>
> (In textpad it loses all makeup/markup/formatting etc >D lol )
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

After pasting, go to Format > Rich Text (HTML). After your draft post
is turned to html, go to Format > Plain Text, and that should do it.

--
Peace!
Kurt

See the experts at

Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing. OE\Format\Plain Text

--
Peter

"Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:D dfn8k$m62$1@news5.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes when I want to write a post for a newsgroup I would like to paste
> some text from a website into the message. However outlook express then
> copies all text layout like font and font size and colors etc.
>
> I would like to edit the complete message in plain text. So when pasting
> text from a website all text makeup/markup/formatting stuff should be
> removed etc...
>
> Is it possible to make outlook express's editor do that for me ?
>
> My current solution would be to paste the text first in textpad and then
> copy it to outlook express ;)
>
> (In textpad it loses all makeup/markup/formatting etc >D lol )
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

August 11, 2005 8:29:50 PM

Peter Foldes wrote:
> See the experts at

> Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing.
> OE\Format\Plain Text

I do, and when I paste in content from a web page it is pasted in with
graphics and html formatting. To get rid of the garbage, you need to do
what I described in my previous post.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 8:54:53 PM

See the experts at

Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing. OE\Format\Plain
Text

I can't access that newsgroup though ;)

I want to edit in plain text and not with all the garbage around it ;)
Plain text is important for me to make it a bit readable ;)  before posting
it :)

--
Peter

"Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D dfn8k$m62$1@news5.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes when I want to write a post for a newsgroup I would like to
paste
> some text from a website into the message. However outlook express then
> copies all text layout like font and font size and colors etc.
>
> I would like to edit the complete message in plain text. So when pasting
> text from a website all text makeup/markup/formatting stuff should be
> removed etc...
>
> Is it possible to make outlook express's editor do that for me ?
>
> My current solution would be to paste the text first in textpad and then
> copy it to outlook express ;)
>
> (In textpad it loses all makeup/markup/formatting etc >D lol )
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 8:55:10 PM

news:o GCl4OonFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Peter Foldes wrote:
> > See the experts at

> > Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing.
> > OE\Format\Plain Text
>
> I do, and when I paste in content from a web page it is pasted in with
> graphics and html formatting. To get rid of the garbage, you need to do
> what I described in my previous post.

Yup thx... works ok ;)  :) :) :)

> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:20:16 PM

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> See the experts at

> Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing. OE\Format\Plain
> Text
>
> I can't access that newsgroup though ;)
>
> I want to edit in plain text and not with all the garbage around it ;)
> Plain text is important for me to make it a bit readable ;)  before posting
> it
<snip>

Copy/Paste the above link into an IE Address Bar and click GO.

Actually, you don't have to worry about the HTML you see pasted into a Plain
Text message. It will be stripped when you Send it.

Also see: http://stevemiller.net/puretext/ (Copy to clipboard > Click on the
PT icon in taskbar > Paste into message).
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:02:24 PM

PA Bear wrote:
> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> See the experts at

>> Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing.
>> OE\Format\Plain Text
>>
>> I can't access that newsgroup though ;)
>>
>> I want to edit in plain text and not with all the garbage around it
>> ;)  Plain text is important for me to make it a bit readable ;)
>> before posting it
> <snip>
>
> Copy/Paste the above link into an IE Address Bar and click GO.
>
> Actually, you don't have to worry about the HTML you see pasted into
> a Plain Text message. It will be stripped when you Send it.

Yeah, but you don't know how things like Line space will end up.

I do exactly what I told him to do. I want to see what the html content
I copied & pasted looks like BEFORE I send it to the group in plain
text.

> Also see: http://stevemiller.net/puretext/ (Copy to clipboard > Click
> on the PT icon in taskbar > Paste into message).

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:59:04 PM

kurttrail wrote:
<snippage>
> > Actually, you don't have to worry about the HTML you see pasted into
> > a Plain Text message. It will be stripped when you Send it.
>
> Yeah, but you don't know how things like Line space will end up.

Agreed and we've bitched about this to the OE Team. It doesn't seem to be
very high on their very short list of priorities for OE6. <sigh>

> I do exactly what I told him to do. I want to see what the html content
> I copied & pasted looks like BEFORE I send it to the group in plain
> text.
> >
> > Also see: http://stevemiller.net/puretext/ (Copy to clipboard > Click
> > on the PT icon in [correction: systray] > Paste into message).

And I do exactly what I told him to do: Strip the formatting using PT before
pasting. Yes, it requires PT to be running in systray but I find it much
faster than switching to HTML format and then back again. <w>
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:10:13 AM

But if you are set to Send in Plain Text the person on the receiving end is also set to same he does not see anything but Plain Text even though it showed for you otherwise in your composed post. If the receiving end is set to HTML or Rich Text then he will see it as such.

--
Peter

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message news:o GCl4OonFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> See the experts at

>> Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing.
>> OE\Format\Plain Text
>
> I do, and when I paste in content from a web page it is pasted in with
> graphics and html formatting. To get rid of the garbage, you need to do
> what I described in my previous post.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:51:23 AM

Peter Foldes wrote:
> But if you are set to Send in Plain Text the person on the receiving
> end is also set to same he does not see anything but Plain Text even
> though it showed for you otherwise in your composed post. If the
> receiving end is set to HTML or Rich Text then he will see it as
> such.

Yes, that is understood, but the OP, like me, want to see how that html
content looks formatted as plain text BEFORE sending.

For example, Line breaks and returns get screwed up in the transforming
html to plain text process. Sometimes there are multiple returns
between paragraphs after conversion, and somtimes there is no space
between paragraphs

Being able to see and fix these html to plain text irregularities, if
necessary, is something I like to do BEFORE sending the post, because
AFTER sending the post it is just a little too late to do anything about
it.

It would be nice if cutting & pasting was like that in Office where you
can easily choose source or destination formatting of the paste content.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:00:00 AM

PA Bear wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
> <snippage>
>>> Actually, you don't have to worry about the HTML you see pasted into
>>> a Plain Text message. It will be stripped when you Send it.
>>
>> Yeah, but you don't know how things like Line space will end up.
>
> Agreed and we've bitched about this to the OE Team. It doesn't seem
> to be very high on their very short list of priorities for OE6. <sigh>

LOL! OE6 in the Vista Beta, has the ability to set the cursor in a
bottom post position, so they probably will get around to pasting plain
text in the WinOS after Vista. ;-)

But it would be great if they setup cut & paste like in Office, where
you can change the pasted content to be either source or destination
formatted. But I guess I'm Opium Pipe-dreaming again!

>> I do exactly what I told him to do. I want to see what the html
>> content I copied & pasted looks like BEFORE I send it to the group
>> in plain text.
>>>
>>> Also see: http://stevemiller.net/puretext/ (Copy to clipboard >
>>> Click on the PT icon in [correction: systray] > Paste into message).
>
> And I do exactly what I told him to do: Strip the formatting using PT
> before pasting. Yes, it requires PT to be running in systray but I
> find it much faster than switching to HTML format and then back
> again. <w>

For the couple of times a week where I run into this situation, I'd
rather just do the switcharoo, than have something else running in the
systray.

I'll take the high road, and you'll take the low road, and we'll both
get to London within a second or two of each other.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:55:09 AM

Send it to yourself first from OE

--
Peter

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message news:eV8V8iunFHA.2904@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> But if you are set to Send in Plain Text the person on the receiving
>> end is also set to same he does not see anything but Plain Text even
>> though it showed for you otherwise in your composed post. If the
>> receiving end is set to HTML or Rich Text then he will see it as
>> such.
>
> Yes, that is understood, but the OP, like me, want to see how that html
> content looks formatted as plain text BEFORE sending.
>
> For example, Line breaks and returns get screwed up in the transforming
> html to plain text process. Sometimes there are multiple returns
> between paragraphs after conversion, and somtimes there is no space
> between paragraphs
>
> Being able to see and fix these html to plain text irregularities, if
> necessary, is something I like to do BEFORE sending the post, because
> AFTER sending the post it is just a little too late to do anything about
> it.
>
> It would be nice if cutting & pasting was like that in Office where you
> can easily choose source or destination formatting of the paste content.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:04:49 AM

It doesn't matter what format the receiving end is reading, the graphics and
html formatting pasted into a plain text message will be lost when the
message is saved to drafts or sent to the outbox.
--
Ron Sommer

But if you are set to Send in Plain Text the person on the receiving end is
also set to same he does not see anything but Plain Text even though it
showed for you otherwise in your composed post. If the receiving end is set
to HTML or Rich Text then he will see it as such.

--
Peter

news:o GCl4OonFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> See the experts at

>> Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing.
>> OE\Format\Plain Text
>
> I do, and when I paste in content from a web page it is pasted in with
> graphics and html formatting. To get rid of the garbage, you need to do
> what I described in my previous post.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:07:15 AM

kurttrail wrote:
> > <snippage>
> > >
> > > Yeah, but you don't know how things like Line space will end up.
> >
> > Agreed and we've bitched about this to the OE Team. It doesn't seem
> > to be very high on their very short list of priorities for OE6. <sigh>
>
> LOL! OE6 in the Vista Beta, has the ability to set the cursor in a
> bottom post position, so they probably will get around to pasting plain
> text in the WinOS after Vista.

<whispers> "OE6" in Vista Beta 1 is but a shadow of what it'll be in Beta 2
and RTM (whenever that happens).
--
~PA Bear
Anonymous