Outlook express editing in plain text ?

Hi,

Sometimes when I want to write a post for a newsgroup I would like to paste
some text from a website into the message. However outlook express then
copies all text layout like font and font size and colors etc.

I would like to edit the complete message in plain text. So when pasting
text from a website all text makeup/markup/formatting stuff should be
removed etc...

Is it possible to make outlook express's editor do that for me ?

My current solution would be to paste the text first in textpad and then
copy it to outlook express ;)

(In textpad it loses all makeup/markup/formatting etc >D lol )

Bye,
Skybuck.
15 answers Last reply
More about outlook express editing plain text

    Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Sometimes when I want to write a post for a newsgroup I would like to
    > paste some text from a website into the message. However outlook
    > express then copies all text layout like font and font size and
    > colors etc.
    >
    > I would like to edit the complete message in plain text. So when
    > pasting text from a website all text makeup/markup/formatting stuff
    > should be removed etc...
    >
    > Is it possible to make outlook express's editor do that for me ?
    >
    > My current solution would be to paste the text first in textpad and
    > then copy it to outlook express ;)
    >
    > (In textpad it loses all makeup/markup/formatting etc >D lol )
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    After pasting, go to Format > Rich Text (HTML). After your draft post
    is turned to html, go to Format > Plain Text, and that should do it.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    See the experts at

    Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing. OE\Format\Plain Text

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes wrote:
    > See the experts at

    > Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing.
    > OE\Format\Plain Text

    I do, and when I paste in content from a web page it is pasted in with
    graphics and html formatting. To get rid of the garbage, you need to do
    what I described in my previous post.

    --

    See the experts at

    Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing. OE\Format\Plain
    Text

    I can't access that newsgroup though ;)

    I want to edit in plain text and not with all the garbage around it ;)
    Plain text is important for me to make it a bit readable ;) before posting
    it :)

    --

    > Peter Foldes wrote:
    > > See the experts at

    > > Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing.
    > > OE\Format\Plain Text
    >
    > I do, and when I paste in content from a web page it is pasted in with
    > graphics and html formatting. To get rid of the garbage, you need to do
    > what I described in my previous post.

    Yup thx... works ok ;) :):):)

    Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > See the experts at

    > Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing. OE\Format\Plain
    > Text
    >
    > I can't access that newsgroup though ;)
    >
    > I want to edit in plain text and not with all the garbage around it ;)
    > Plain text is important for me to make it a bit readable ;) before posting
    > it
    <snip>

    Copy/Paste the above link into an IE Address Bar and click GO.

    Actually, you don't have to worry about the HTML you see pasted into a Plain
    Text message. It will be stripped when you Send it.

    Also see: http://stevemiller.net/puretext/ (Copy to clipboard > Click on the
    PT icon in taskbar > Paste into message).
    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:
    OE General newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

    PA Bear wrote:
    > Skybuck Flying wrote:
    >> See the experts at

    >> Also why not set OE to Send in Plain Text when composing.
    >> OE\Format\Plain Text
    >>
    >> I can't access that newsgroup though ;)
    >>
    >> I want to edit in plain text and not with all the garbage around it
    >> ;) Plain text is important for me to make it a bit readable ;)
    >> before posting it
    > <snip>
    >
    > Copy/Paste the above link into an IE Address Bar and click GO.
    >
    > Actually, you don't have to worry about the HTML you see pasted into
    > a Plain Text message. It will be stripped when you Send it.

    Yeah, but you don't know how things like Line space will end up.

    I do exactly what I told him to do. I want to see what the html content
    I copied & pasted looks like BEFORE I send it to the group in plain
    text.

    > Also see: http://stevemiller.net/puretext/ (Copy to clipboard > Click
    > on the PT icon in taskbar > Paste into message).

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    kurttrail wrote:
    <snippage>
    > > Actually, you don't have to worry about the HTML you see pasted into
    > > a Plain Text message. It will be stripped when you Send it.
    >
    > Yeah, but you don't know how things like Line space will end up.

    Agreed and we've bitched about this to the OE Team. It doesn't seem to be
    very high on their very short list of priorities for OE6. <sigh>

    > I do exactly what I told him to do. I want to see what the html content
    > I copied & pasted looks like BEFORE I send it to the group in plain
    > text.
    > >
    > > Also see: http://stevemiller.net/puretext/ (Copy to clipboard > Click
    > > on the PT icon in [correction: systray] > Paste into message).

    And I do exactly what I told him to do: Strip the formatting using PT before
    pasting. Yes, it requires PT to be running in systray but I find it much
    faster than switching to HTML format and then back again. <w>
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    But if you are set to Send in Plain Text the person on the receiving end is also set to same he does not see anything but Plain Text even though it showed for you otherwise in your composed post. If the receiving end is set to HTML or Rich Text then he will see it as such.

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes wrote:
    > But if you are set to Send in Plain Text the person on the receiving
    > end is also set to same he does not see anything but Plain Text even
    > though it showed for you otherwise in your composed post. If the
    > receiving end is set to HTML or Rich Text then he will see it as
    > such.

    Yes, that is understood, but the OP, like me, want to see how that html
    content looks formatted as plain text BEFORE sending.

    For example, Line breaks and returns get screwed up in the transforming
    html to plain text process. Sometimes there are multiple returns
    between paragraphs after conversion, and somtimes there is no space
    between paragraphs

    Being able to see and fix these html to plain text irregularities, if
    necessary, is something I like to do BEFORE sending the post, because
    AFTER sending the post it is just a little too late to do anything about
    it.

    It would be nice if cutting & pasting was like that in Office where you
    can easily choose source or destination formatting of the paste content.

    --

    PA Bear wrote:
    > kurttrail wrote:
    > <snippage>
    >>> Actually, you don't have to worry about the HTML you see pasted into
    >>> a Plain Text message. It will be stripped when you Send it.
    >>
    >> Yeah, but you don't know how things like Line space will end up.
    >
    > Agreed and we've bitched about this to the OE Team. It doesn't seem
    > to be very high on their very short list of priorities for OE6. <sigh>

    LOL! OE6 in the Vista Beta, has the ability to set the cursor in a
    bottom post position, so they probably will get around to pasting plain
    text in the WinOS after Vista. ;-)

    But it would be great if they setup cut & paste like in Office, where
    you can change the pasted content to be either source or destination
    formatted. But I guess I'm Opium Pipe-dreaming again!

    >> I do exactly what I told him to do. I want to see what the html
    >> content I copied & pasted looks like BEFORE I send it to the group
    >> in plain text.
    >>>
    >>> Also see: http://stevemiller.net/puretext/ (Copy to clipboard >
    >>> Click on the PT icon in [correction: systray] > Paste into message).
    >
    > And I do exactly what I told him to do: Strip the formatting using PT
    > before pasting. Yes, it requires PT to be running in systray but I
    > find it much faster than switching to HTML format and then back
    > again. <w>

    For the couple of times a week where I run into this situation, I'd
    rather just do the switcharoo, than have something else running in the
    systray.

    I'll take the high road, and you'll take the low road, and we'll both
    get to London within a second or two of each other.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Send it to yourself first from OE

    --
    Peter

    "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message news:eV8V8iunFHA.2904@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Peter Foldes wrote:
    >> But if you are set to Send in Plain Text the person on the receiving
    >> end is also set to same he does not see anything but Plain Text even
    >> though it showed for you otherwise in your composed post. If the
    >> receiving end is set to HTML or Rich Text then he will see it as
    >> such.
    >
    > Yes, that is understood, but the OP, like me, want to see how that html
    > content looks formatted as plain text BEFORE sending.
    >
    > For example, Line breaks and returns get screwed up in the transforming
    > html to plain text process. Sometimes there are multiple returns
    > between paragraphs after conversion, and somtimes there is no space
    > between paragraphs
    >
    > Being able to see and fix these html to plain text irregularities, if
    > necessary, is something I like to do BEFORE sending the post, because
    > AFTER sending the post it is just a little too late to do anything about
    > it.
    >
    > It would be nice if cutting & pasting was like that in Office where you
    > can easily choose source or destination formatting of the paste content.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    It doesn't matter what format the receiving end is reading, the graphics and
    html formatting pasted into a plain text message will be lost when the
    message is saved to drafts or sent to the outbox.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    kurttrail wrote:
    > > <snippage>
    > > >
    > > > Yeah, but you don't know how things like Line space will end up.
    > >
    > > Agreed and we've bitched about this to the OE Team. It doesn't seem
    > > to be very high on their very short list of priorities for OE6. <sigh>
    >
    > LOL! OE6 in the Vista Beta, has the ability to set the cursor in a
    > bottom post position, so they probably will get around to pasting plain
    > text in the WinOS after Vista.

    <whispers> "OE6" in Vista Beta 1 is but a shadow of what it'll be in Beta 2
    and RTM (whenever that happens).
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Shush! Don't tell everybody.

    Bruce Hagen wrote:
    > Not to mention that a very quick registry hack will put the cursor at the
    > bottom of a post when you click Reply Group with OE6 as it is right now.
    > <eg>

Outlook Express Formatting Font Microsoft Windows XP