Switching Modules Possible?

In a Dell Latitude Laptop, is it possible to switch from the CD module to
the Floppy module, and vice versa, without turning off the computer??

If it is possible, is it safe?

"Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote:
>In a Dell Latitude Laptop, is it possible to switch from the CD module to
>the Floppy module, and vice versa, without turning off the computer??

Yes, in general, just use the "safely remove hardware" icon in the
toolbar to stop one device, then unplug it and install another one.

[Windows can refuse to release devices for completely unknown reasons,
which then requires a reboot, but when it works it works fine.]

Thank you for your quick response. I am not sure I gave you enough
information. I want to get rid of WinXP and reinsall Win98SE on a bare hard
disk. I plan on using a Win98 startup floppy disk to boot and reformat to
get rid of WinXP.

At that point I will be in a DOS environment. To install Win98SE I will use
a CD. There will be no icons on the screen, nothing saying it is safe to
remove hardware. I will have to change modules, which means turning the
laptop upside down, unlocking, etc.

Safe? Unsafe? Good idea? Bad idea?

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote:
>>In a Dell Latitude Laptop, is it possible to switch from the CD module to
>>the Floppy module, and vice versa, without turning off the computer??
>
> Yes, in general, just use the "safely remove hardware" icon in the
> toolbar to stop one device, then unplug it and install another one.
>
> [Windows can refuse to release devices for completely unknown reasons,
> which then requires a reboot, but when it works it works fine.]

Bad idea.

I mean going from XP to 98. What reason would you have to do so? XP is
considerably more stable, supports more devices, etc. etc.

If it is a new Latitude, I would doubt that 98 would even be supported.

Tom
"Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Thank you for your quick response. I am not sure I gave you enough
> information. I want to get rid of WinXP and reinsall Win98SE on a bare
> hard disk. I plan on using a Win98 startup floppy disk to boot and
> reformat to get rid of WinXP.
>
> At that point I will be in a DOS environment. To install Win98SE I will
> use a CD. There will be no icons on the screen, nothing saying it is safe
> to remove hardware. I will have to change modules, which means turning the
> laptop upside down, unlocking, etc.
>
> Safe? Unsafe? Good idea? Bad idea?
>
> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
>> "Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote:
>>>In a Dell Latitude Laptop, is it possible to switch from the CD module to
>>>the Floppy module, and vice versa, without turning off the computer??
>>
>> Yes, in general, just use the "safely remove hardware" icon in the
>> toolbar to stop one device, then unplug it and install another one.
>>
>> [Windows can refuse to release devices for completely unknown reasons,
>> which then requires a reboot, but when it works it works fine.]

I like XP also and use it on my desktop. I thought I could legally load a
second computer for my personal use, without buying a second copy of WinXP.
Turns out I can't. I have it loaded and working, but have 30 days to
activate it (i.e., pay money). The laptop is a short term thing. I am
reluctant to go out and buy another copy of WinXP, use it for 90 days or so
on the laptop and then buy or build another desktop and either have to go
out and buy yet another copy, or waste the one on the laptop. So my plan is
to go back to Win98SE. Thanks for replying, and as a general rule I would
agree with you.

> Bad idea.
>
> I mean going from XP to 98. What reason would you have to do so? XP is
> considerably more stable, supports more devices, etc. etc.
>
> If it is a new Latitude, I would doubt that 98 would even be supported.
>
> Tom
> "Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Thank you for your quick response. I am not sure I gave you enough
>> information. I want to get rid of WinXP and reinsall Win98SE on a bare
>> hard disk. I plan on using a Win98 startup floppy disk to boot and
>> reformat to get rid of WinXP.
>>
>> At that point I will be in a DOS environment. To install Win98SE I will
>> use a CD. There will be no icons on the screen, nothing saying it is safe
>> to remove hardware. I will have to change modules, which means turning
>> the laptop upside down, unlocking, etc.
>>
>> Safe? Unsafe? Good idea? Bad idea?
>>
>> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Yes, in general, just use the "safely remove hardware" icon in the
>>> toolbar to stop one device, then unplug it and install another one.
>>>
>>> [Windows can refuse to release devices for completely unknown reasons,
>>> which then requires a reboot, but when it works it works fine.]

Ah, gotcha. I was a little harsh and shouldn't have been. We just see so
many people here with quotes like:

I just bought a new Dimension 8400 and am having trouble getting Windows
3.11 support for the SATA drives. Damn Dell, it's all their fault!

What did the laptop come with? Does it have a COA sticker?

>I like XP also and use it on my desktop. I thought I could legally load a
>second computer for my personal use, without buying a second copy of WinXP.
>Turns out I can't. I have it loaded and working, but have 30 days to
>activate it (i.e., pay money). The laptop is a short term thing. I am
>reluctant to go out and buy another copy of WinXP, use it for 90 days or
>so on the laptop and then buy or build another desktop and either have to
>go out and buy yet another copy, or waste the one on the laptop. So my
>plan is to go back to Win98SE. Thanks for replying, and as a general rule I
>would agree with you.

>> Bad idea.
>>
>> I mean going from XP to 98. What reason would you have to do so? XP is
>> considerably more stable, supports more devices, etc. etc.
>>
>> If it is a new Latitude, I would doubt that 98 would even be supported.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Thank you for your quick response. I am not sure I gave you enough
>>> information. I want to get rid of WinXP and reinsall Win98SE on a bare
>>> hard disk. I plan on using a Win98 startup floppy disk to boot and
>>> reformat to get rid of WinXP.
>>>
>>> At that point I will be in a DOS environment. To install Win98SE I will
>>> use a CD. There will be no icons on the screen, nothing saying it is
>>> safe to remove hardware. I will have to change modules, which means
>>> turning the laptop upside down, unlocking, etc.
>>>
>>> Safe? Unsafe? Good idea? Bad idea?
>>>
>>> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message

On my Inspiron floppy I can connect a cable from it to the USB port and have
both working at the same time.

Gordon Nelson wrote:
> Thank you for your quick response. I am not sure I gave you enough
> information. I want to get rid of WinXP and reinsall Win98SE on a bare
hard
> disk. I plan on using a Win98 startup floppy disk to boot and reformat to
> get rid of WinXP.

TRENDING THREADS