Restoring PC

I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it is
a new PC and it loaded and updated antivirus program & spyware programs.

What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly before
the programs were updated without creating other problems. It seems like an
awful lot for it to back out. Then I could change some of the choices I
made.
7 answers Last reply
More about restoring

    Hello,

    How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%233v7qMonFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it is a new PC and it loaded
    >and updated antivirus program & spyware programs.
    >
    > What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly before the programs were
    > updated without creating other problems. It seems like an awful lot for it to back out. Then I
    > could change some of the choices I made.

    Thanks for the link, but I have already read that. I was wondering how well
    it actually works, but I guess I will just give it a try and undo if it
    doesn't. I have restore CD's if all else fails.
    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >

    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it
    >>is a new PC and it loaded and updated antivirus program & spyware
    >>programs.
    >>
    >> What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly
    >> before the programs were updated without creating other problems. It
    >> seems like an awful lot for it to back out. Then I could change some of
    >> the choices I made.

    Hi Lori,

    What is your reason for restoring the system.

    System Restore was not designed to remove installed application, and should not be used to
    do so.

    Here is some information on the subject.
    After restoring my system there are programs listed in add/remove that can not be
    uninstalled.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#AddRemove

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Lori wrote:
    > I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put
    > anything on but it is a new PC and it loaded and updated
    > antivirus program & spyware programs.
    > What are my chances that it will restore back to a week
    > ago properly before the programs were updated without
    > creating other problems. It seems like an awful lot for
    > it to back out. Then I could change some of the choices
    > I made.

    Hello,

    In my past experiences, System Restore works pretty well under Windows XP.

    --

    "Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23RoHtSonFHA.2904@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks for the link, but I have already read that. I was wondering how well it actually works,
    > but I guess I will just give it a try and undo if it doesn't. I have restore CD's if all else
    > fails.
    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>

    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it is a new PC and it
    >>>loaded and updated antivirus program & spyware programs.
    >>>
    >>> What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly before the programs were
    >>> updated without creating other problems. It seems like an awful lot for it to back out. Then I
    >>> could change some of the choices I made.

    You would be far better advised to use a program like GoBack from Symantec
    which is far more robust and reliable. GoBack, unlike System Restore
    actually works and restores a system exactly as it was at the point of
    restoration unlike SR. It also takes automatic "snap shots" of ones system
    every couple of seconds unlike SR as well.

    "Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it
    >is a new PC and it loaded and updated antivirus program & spyware
    >programs.
    >
    > What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly
    > before the programs were updated without creating other problems. It
    > seems like an awful lot for it to back out. Then I could change some of
    > the choices I made.

    System Restore ONLY works if Windows will boot .... If you delete your
    Windows folder or rename it and empty the recycle bin system restore is
    useless ... if you delete all your fonts and try to use system restore ... it
    is useless .... Goback can fix all those and more .... I disable the useless
    System Restore (patterned after Second Chance from Powerquest [which is
    discontinued software,] and use Goback

    And Yes, my boss has actualy deleted all his fonts before and deleted the
    Windows folder and emptied the recycle bin and turned off the computer (I'm
    the IT Guy :S )

    SP2's DEP issue on an Athlon64 PCI Express system with Goback 3 or Goback 4
    (or other "incompatible" applications/programs) can be resolved easily by
    adding the following after the default Boot in Boot.ini

    /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

    so that it reads something like

    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

    instead of

    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

    [[[```RB wrote:

    > System Restore ONLY works if Windows will boot .... If you delete your
    > Windows folder or rename it and empty the recycle bin system restore
    > is useless ... if you delete all your fonts and try to use system
    > restore ... it is useless .... Goback can fix all those and more ....
    > I disable the useless System Restore

    System Restore certainly has its weaknesses and it could be much better than
    it is. Goback may even be better (I have no experience with Goback and can't
    comment on it). But callling System Restore "useless" is nonsense. Something
    isn't useless because it isn't perfect or because something else is better.
    In fact System Restore is an extremely useful tool; it's gotten me and many
    others out of trouble many times.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup