Restoring PC

August 11, 2005 1:44:21 PM

I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it is
a new PC and it loaded and updated antivirus program & spyware programs.

What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly before
the programs were updated without creating other problems. It seems like an
awful lot for it to back out. Then I could change some of the choices I
made.

More about : restoring

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:47:47 PM

Hello,

How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%233v7qMonFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it is a new PC and it loaded
>and updated antivirus program & spyware programs.
>
> What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly before the programs were
> updated without creating other problems. It seems like an awful lot for it to back out. Then I
> could change some of the choices I made.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:47:48 PM

Thanks for the link, but I have already read that. I was wondering how well
it actually works, but I guess I will just give it a try and undo if it
doesn't. I have restore CD's if all else fails.
"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>

> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it
>>is a new PC and it loaded and updated antivirus program & spyware
>>programs.
>>
>> What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly
>> before the programs were updated without creating other problems. It
>> seems like an awful lot for it to back out. Then I could change some of
>> the choices I made.

August 11, 2005 5:51:10 PM

Hi Lori,

What is your reason for restoring the system.

System Restore was not designed to remove installed application, and should not be used to
do so.

Here is some information on the subject.
After restoring my system there are programs listed in add/remove that can not be
uninstalled.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#AddRemove

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Lori wrote:
> I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put
> anything on but it is a new PC and it loaded and updated
> antivirus program & spyware programs.
> What are my chances that it will restore back to a week
> ago properly before the programs were updated without
> creating other problems. It seems like an awful lot for
> it to back out. Then I could change some of the choices
> I made.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:31:33 PM

Hello,

In my past experiences, System Restore works pretty well under Windows XP.

--

"Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23RoHtSonFHA.2904@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the link, but I have already read that. I was wondering how well it actually works,
> but I guess I will just give it a try and undo if it doesn't. I have restore CD's if all else
> fails.
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>

>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it is a new PC and it
>>>loaded and updated antivirus program & spyware programs.
>>>
>>> What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly before the programs were
>>> updated without creating other problems. It seems like an awful lot for it to back out. Then I
>>> could change some of the choices I made.

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:35:19 AM

You would be far better advised to use a program like GoBack from Symantec
which is far more robust and reliable. GoBack, unlike System Restore
actually works and restores a system exactly as it was at the point of
restoration unlike SR. It also takes automatic "snap shots" of ones system
every couple of seconds unlike SR as well.

"Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it
>is a new PC and it loaded and updated antivirus program & spyware
>programs.
>
> What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly
> before the programs were updated without creating other problems. It
> seems like an awful lot for it to back out. Then I could change some of
> the choices I made.

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 1:50:03 PM

System Restore ONLY works if Windows will boot .... If you delete your
Windows folder or rename it and empty the recycle bin system restore is
useless ... if you delete all your fonts and try to use system restore ... it
is useless .... Goback can fix all those and more .... I disable the useless
System Restore (patterned after Second Chance from Powerquest [which is
discontinued software,] and use Goback

And Yes, my boss has actualy deleted all his fonts before and deleted the
Windows folder and emptied the recycle bin and turned off the computer (I'm
the IT Guy :S )

SP2's DEP issue on an Athlon64 PCI Express system with Goback 3 or Goback 4
(or other "incompatible" applications/programs) can be resolved easily by
adding the following after the default Boot in Boot.ini

/noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

so that it reads something like

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

instead of

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

"Websurferdude" wrote:

> You would be far better advised to use a program like GoBack from Symantec
> which is far more robust and reliable. GoBack, unlike System Restore
> actually works and restores a system exactly as it was at the point of
> restoration unlike SR. It also takes automatic "snap shots" of ones system
> every couple of seconds unlike SR as well.
>

> "Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I want to restore my PC to a week ago. I have not put anything on but it
> >is a new PC and it loaded and updated antivirus program & spyware
> >programs.
> >
> > What are my chances that it will restore back to a week ago properly
> > before the programs were updated without creating other problems. It
> > seems like an awful lot for it to back out. Then I could change some of
> > the choices I made.

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:03:29 PM

[[[```RB wrote:

> System Restore ONLY works if Windows will boot .... If you delete your
> Windows folder or rename it and empty the recycle bin system restore
> is useless ... if you delete all your fonts and try to use system
> restore ... it is useless .... Goback can fix all those and more ....
> I disable the useless System Restore

System Restore certainly has its weaknesses and it could be much better than
it is. Goback may even be better (I have no experience with Goback and can't
comment on it). But callling System Restore "useless" is nonsense. Something
isn't useless because it isn't perfect or because something else is better.
In fact System Restore is an extremely useful tool; it's gotten me and many
others out of trouble many times.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup