No startup/shutdown or new mail sound!!

a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2005 1:58:01 PM

WinXP SP2 - all sounds play fine in Control Panel, even tried changing them.
Instead of playing a sound, the motherboard speaker beeps! All other sound
events play fine - scrolling in Outlook, menu clicks, everything else! Also,
when I pop up the volume control in the system tray and adjust the volume
(which used to play the default beep) the motherboard speaker beeps!!

Found lots of same problems on internet, no solutions!

--

Mike Matheny
Anonymous

Mike,
I want to preface this by saying I am by no means an expert in audio issues
with hardware of Windows. However, I have had sound issues in the past, and
every single time (so far), running a registry cleaner (such as the free
Regseeker ... you can download it at http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm ,
and while it says it's beta, it has been in beta for a few years now, I've
used it for those few years, and have found it a very solid product) and
restarting has resolved the issue. You might want to give it a shot. Will
only take a few minutes and is free ...
Bill
--
Bill F
Dont believe everything you think.

"Mike Matheny" wrote:

> WinXP SP2 - all sounds play fine in Control Panel, even tried changing them.
> Instead of playing a sound, the motherboard speaker beeps! All other sound
> events play fine - scrolling in Outlook, menu clicks, everything else! Also,
> when I pop up the volume control in the system tray and adjust the volume
> (which used to play the default beep) the motherboard speaker beeps!!
>
> Found lots of same problems on internet, no solutions!
>
> --
>
> Mike Matheny

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2005 8:46:51 PM

Funny you mentioned that - I did run a reg cleaner, but I haven't gotten
back to my PC to see if it fixed it. Wierd problem, though!!

--
Mike Matheny

"Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
> I want to preface this by saying I am by no means an expert in audio
> issues
> with hardware of Windows. However, I have had sound issues in the past,
> and
> every single time (so far), running a registry cleaner (such as the free
> Regseeker ... you can download it at http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
> ,
> and while it says it's beta, it has been in beta for a few years now, I've
> used it for those few years, and have found it a very solid product) and
> restarting has resolved the issue. You might want to give it a shot. Will
> only take a few minutes and is free ...
> Bill
> --
> Bill F
> Dont believe everything you think.
>

> "Mike Matheny" wrote:
>
>> WinXP SP2 - all sounds play fine in Control Panel, even tried changing
>> them.
>> Instead of playing a sound, the motherboard speaker beeps! All other
>> sound
>> events play fine - scrolling in Outlook, menu clicks, everything else!
>> Also,
>> when I pop up the volume control in the system tray and adjust the volume
>> (which used to play the default beep) the motherboard speaker beeps!!
>>
>> Found lots of same problems on internet, no solutions!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Matheny

a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2005 8:46:52 PM

I'm sure you already thought of this, but just in case, it's a good idea to
restart after your registry has been cleaned before you check to see if the
sound issue is resolved. Good luck!
--

"Mike Matheny" wrote:

> Funny you mentioned that - I did run a reg cleaner, but I haven't gotten
> back to my PC to see if it fixed it. Wierd problem, though!!
>
> --
> Mike Matheny
>
> "Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mike,
> > I want to preface this by saying I am by no means an expert in audio
> > issues
> > with hardware of Windows. However, I have had sound issues in the past,
> > and
> > every single time (so far), running a registry cleaner (such as the free
> > Regseeker ... you can download it at http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
> > ,
> > and while it says it's beta, it has been in beta for a few years now, I've
> > used it for those few years, and have found it a very solid product) and
> > restarting has resolved the issue. You might want to give it a shot. Will
> > only take a few minutes and is free ...
> > Bill
> > --
> > Bill F
> > Dont believe everything you think.
> >

> > "Mike Matheny" wrote:
> >
> >> WinXP SP2 - all sounds play fine in Control Panel, even tried changing
> >> them.
> >> Instead of playing a sound, the motherboard speaker beeps! All other
> >> sound
> >> events play fine - scrolling in Outlook, menu clicks, everything else!
> >> Also,
> >> when I pop up the volume control in the system tray and adjust the volume
> >> (which used to play the default beep) the motherboard speaker beeps!!
> >>
> >> Found lots of same problems on internet, no solutions!
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mike Matheny

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2005 1:24:56 PM

Well, did just this, and still no startup/shutdown/Outlook new mail, or
default beep when changing the volume! All other sounds are fine! It seems
there is a different mechanism/event handler that handles these particular
sounds. Any experts know????

--

> I'm sure you already thought of this, but just in case, it's a good idea
> restart after your registry has been cleaned before you check to see if
> the
> sound issue is resolved. Good luck!
> --
> Bill F
> Dont believe everything you think.
>

> "Mike Matheny" wrote:
>
>> Funny you mentioned that - I did run a reg cleaner, but I haven't gotten
>> back to my PC to see if it fixed it. Wierd problem, though!!
>>
>> --
>> Mike Matheny
>>
>> "Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Mike,
>> > I want to preface this by saying I am by no means an expert in audio
>> > issues
>> > with hardware of Windows. However, I have had sound issues in the past,
>> > and
>> > every single time (so far), running a registry cleaner (such as the
>> > free
>> > Regseeker ... you can download it at
>> > http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
>> > ,
>> > and while it says it's beta, it has been in beta for a few years now,
>> > I've
>> > used it for those few years, and have found it a very solid product)
>> > and
>> > restarting has resolved the issue. You might want to give it a shot.
>> > Will
>> > only take a few minutes and is free ...
>> > Bill
>> > --
>> > Bill F
>> > Dont believe everything you think.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2005 9:51:30 PM

Well, decided to try something and log on with a local admin account - all
sounds were fine, so deduced it was a corrupt profile - booted to safe mode,
renamed profile folder, rebooted and logged on, created new profile, all is
well!!!!

--

Mike Matheny

news:o 1gRem0nFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...