Windows 7 blue screen, crashing, restarting regularily

justinu19

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
hey there, I've been running windows 7 on my computer ever since I found out I need a higher bit OS to run my movie editing programs. as I filled up my C drive and D drive with clips and photos and what not, my computer started doing weird things. the crashes are never consistent, sometimes the screen goes black, sometimes it freezes, sometimes i get a blue screen, and sometimes i can't even start the thing. I tried freeing up some space on my computer but it didn't help much. now I can't even watch a YouTube video without it crashing. so:
a) If I have no memory left on the computer, does this affect how it runs? when it was extremely full i wouldn't even be able to view pictures and stuff, but I have 2.5 GB left on C right now so I can view pictures but I can't even watch a youtube video or run 2 or 3 tabs at once
b) I downloaded my OS off the internet, but it's never given me any problems. could this be buggy?
c) my old OS is on the D drive and it takes up a lot of space, can I delete it to free up space? is it a good idea to?
d) do I need a RAM upgrade? I really don't even know how much I have, it says 2 GB DDR2 memory if that means anything. at idle it runs at about 57%

If your hard drives are filled up tat much then your probably having issues with the paging file/virtual memory. If you have a good amount of ram then you can set the page file lower, Windows tends to set the page file the same size as the system ram installed. If you have 16gb of ram then that's the size of the page file and so on.
If you have saved everything that you want or need from the old OS thn you can delete it and free up some space. Then you can assign the page file to that drive since it will have some extra space.
I hav 16gb of ram and my page file is set to 0 since I have a lot of ram I feel I will not run out of memory. If your doing video editing then you need all the memory you can get.
How much ram do you have?