Dell E6500 vs. E5500 vs. ? - business quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh2010

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I'm still on the prowl for the ultimate deal, go figure right... :heink: I really like the fit and finish of the Dell E6500 business laptop, what's the scoop on this laptop?

I'm needing a sound laptop to take to programming class, use at home for projects, compiling, light gaming, and usual IE surfing. I want something that is solid, a 15" - 17", and something that's going to give performance for price. I'd like to spend between $600 - $1k max.

I'm looking at the business class laptops as they offer docking stations for ease of use. Pop and go, plug and play scenario's. I'll be running a IPS 24" panel at home, so the docking station is key for taking it out and heading to class, returning and computing etc.

Suggestions?

josh2010

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

How would you compare the suggested including yours to say the consumer lines like the dv8t or maybe an xps? I realize the hardware can be better on the dv8t, but aren't business class laptops typically built a bit sturdier to with stand the abuse we put them through? I really like the dell E6500 body, looks like a solid build and its not glossy...

I'm trying to determine if the ddr3/i5 combo is worth putting up with the gloss cheap casing that say a dv6t or dv8t has?

Ideally I'd like a solid hardware setup like the dv6t or dv8 but in a nice case like the E6500.

I work for HP, my discount blows and I'm not impressed with my work laptop or the consumer line of gloss and cheap plastic so I'm kind of looking elsewhere. I'll have to take a closer look at that 8530P you mentioned.

Sorry wouldn't know about those notebooks as haven't used them.

I bought the T500 as I had quite a strict list, probably too strict a list of what I wanted.

Things like a dedicated ATI gfx card, matte 16 x 10 screen and a non fancy look. Not too many notebooks around like that.

You may want to wait if possible as the business line up's I think will be changing to the new intel chips soon. Lenovo have already begun but I think there is supply problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.