Password for using Recovery Repair?

August 11, 2005 9:17:55 PM

After hours of googling I still haven't found a solution to this
problem, so would appreciate help urgently please. My wife's XP Home
PC is unusable, somehow stuck in the middle of a setup process. By
booting from the original MS CD-ROM I can get to the options inviting
- Install XP (which I don't want to take, as I assume it will require
re-installation of all programs)
- Repair using the System Recovery facilities (press R)

But when I do so, I'm asked for the Administrator's password, she was
told by the fellow that did the upgrade (from W98 to XP) that none was
required. I tried the password she uses to logon, but that failed. I
tried Enter, Tab, Space, * yet none of these work.

I went to http://www.loginrecovery.com/ and that gave me what it
called 'partial' answers, prior to paying 10UKP for the full
passwords. I'd happily do that, but the two partials were:
Administrator: NONE
Janet: *i***

The second matches the login password, which as I said earlier fails
to get access. So the issue seems to boil down to: what do you key
when asked for an ADMINISTRATOR password at System Recovery, when
there *is* no password?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous

Don't worry about the Password - You're getting trapped by naming
conventions. You do not want the Recovery Console. What you do
want is to continue the installation process. There is a point in that
where the setup will ask if you wish to "Repair" an existing install. You
answer Yes and choose the instance (1) that you want repaired. XP
will re-install, preserving User data and applications. Proceed with
this carefully - if you choose wrong you can end up with an overwritten
XP instance.

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> After hours of googling I still haven't found a solution to this
> problem, so would appreciate help urgently please. My wife's XP Home
> PC is unusable, somehow stuck in the middle of a setup process. By
> booting from the original MS CD-ROM I can get to the options inviting
> - Install XP (which I don't want to take, as I assume it will require
> re-installation of all programs)
> - Repair using the System Recovery facilities (press R)
>
> But when I do so, I'm asked for the Administrator's password, she was
> told by the fellow that did the upgrade (from W98 to XP) that none was
> required. I tried the password she uses to logon, but that failed. I
> tried Enter, Tab, Space, * yet none of these work.
>
> I went to http://www.loginrecovery.com/ and that gave me what it
> called 'partial' answers, prior to paying 10UKP for the full
> passwords. I'd happily do that, but the two partials were:
> Administrator: NONE
> Janet: *i***
>
> The second matches the login password, which as I said earlier fails
> to get access. So the issue seems to boil down to: what do you key
> when asked for an ADMINISTRATOR password at System Recovery, when
> there *is* no password?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
August 11, 2005 9:17:56 PM

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> After hours of googling I still haven't found a solution to this
> problem, so would appreciate help urgently please. My wife's XP Home
> PC is unusable, somehow stuck in the middle of a setup process. By
> booting from the original MS CD-ROM I can get to the options inviting
> - Install XP (which I don't want to take, as I assume it will require
> re-installation of all programs)
> - Repair using the System Recovery facilities (press R)
>
> But when I do so, I'm asked for the Administrator's password, she was
> told by the fellow that did the upgrade (from W98 to XP) that none was
> required. I tried the password she uses to logon, but that failed. I
> tried Enter, Tab, Space, * yet none of these work.
>
> I went to http://www.loginrecovery.com/ and that gave me what it
> called 'partial' answers, prior to paying 10UKP for the full
> passwords. I'd happily do that, but the two partials were:
> Administrator: NONE
> Janet: *i***
>
> The second matches the login password, which as I said earlier fails
> to get access. So the issue seems to boil down to: what do you key
> when asked for an ADMINISTRATOR password at System Recovery, when
> there *is* no password?

The recovery console needs the pasword for the person who installed XP, not
for just any administrator. If the install was done by a major PC maker,
you may need to contact them for it.

However, the password is sometimes blank. So, try just pressing enter when
you are asked for a password, it may help.

Or, if you can get into XP, even safe mode, you can arrange to bypass the
password by the following registry change:

Instead, just run REGEDIT (Start à Run à Regedit)
Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Recover
yConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

--
Mike Pawlak