HP ScanJet 3200C Scan All Black

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

I am running a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3200C scanner on Windows ME and
am operating the scan using HP PrecisionScan LT. When I scan the
image, the entire field is black. I have been to the HP
trouble-shooting home page and have looked at the help on the program
and nothing seems to work. The scanner runs like it is working
properly and the scanner light is still working but all I get in the
image window is black.

I tried shutting the computer down, disconnecting the scanner from the
power supply, reconnecting the scanner to the power supply and
restarting the computer but it did not help.

Does anyone know how I might fix this problem?

Many thanks in advance,
Peter.

CSM1 wrote:
> <MajorSetback@excite.com> wrote in message
> >I am running a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3200C scanner on Windows ME
and
> > am operating the scan using HP PrecisionScan LT. When I scan the
> > image, the entire field is black. I have been to the HP
> > trouble-shooting home page and have looked at the help on the
program
> > and nothing seems to work. The scanner runs like it is working
> > properly and the scanner light is still working but all I get in
the
> > image window is black.
> >
> > I tried shutting the computer down, disconnecting the scanner from
the
> > power supply, reconnecting the scanner to the power supply and
> > restarting the computer but it did not help.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I might fix this problem?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Peter.

Many thanks for your reply.

> Did you reinstall the scanner software?

Yes.

> Put a white sheet of paper on the scanner glass and try the scanner.
If you
> do not get a white scan, then the scanner is broken.

I tried that and still got all black. The scanner must be broken.

> Send in the unit for repair.

Would this be more cost effective than getting a new one? Its warranty
has expired. I received it after it was decommissioned from the
company where I work. It worked OK at first but then I took the glass
plate off to lubricate the guide rod. (I was getting some subtle
periodic rippling in the output images and thought that lubrication
would fix it.) I must have knocked something when it was lubricating
the guide rod.

Thanks again,
Peter.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

> CSM1 wrote:
>> <MajorSetback@excite.com> wrote in message
>> >I am running a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3200C scanner on Windows ME
> and
>> > am operating the scan using HP PrecisionScan LT. When I scan the
>> > image, the entire field is black. I have been to the HP
>> > trouble-shooting home page and have looked at the help on the
> program
>> > and nothing seems to work. The scanner runs like it is working
>> > properly and the scanner light is still working but all I get in
> the
>> > image window is black.
>> >
>> > I tried shutting the computer down, disconnecting the scanner from
> the
>> > power supply, reconnecting the scanner to the power supply and
>> > restarting the computer but it did not help.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know how I might fix this problem?
>> >
>> > Many thanks in advance,
>> > Peter.
>> >

> Many thanks for your reply.
>
>> Did you reinstall the scanner software?
>
> Yes.
>

>> Put a white sheet of paper on the scanner glass and try the scanner.
> If you
>> do not get a white scan, then the scanner is broken.
>
> I tried that and still got all black. The scanner must be broken.
>

>> Send in the unit for repair.
>
> Would this be more cost effective than getting a new one? Its warranty
> has expired. I received it after it was decommissioned from the
> company where I work. It worked OK at first but then I took the glass
> plate off to lubricate the guide rod. (I was getting some subtle
> periodic rippling in the output images and thought that lubrication
> would fix it.) I must have knocked something when it was lubricating
> the guide rod.
>
> Thanks again,
> Peter.

You are probably correct, buying a new scanner would be cost effective.
Especially since the 3200C is only a 600 dpi scanner.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com