Recover CD vs Dell supplied OS disk

laura

I just bought a Inspiron 9300 laptop. As expected, it did not come with a OS
or Drivers CD as previously provided with new machines. I plan on calling
Dell today and request the OS disk.

What is included on this disk? Are the drivers included as well as the misc
cr*p that they install?

If I create my own recovery CD using their utility, what is included on this
CD? Can it be used to reformat a hard drive or to install XP on a new HD
should mine fail?

TIA,
Laura

David

I don't know about the recovery cd you create with the utility
BUT the OS cd is just an oem XP cd. It won't have
drivers but they can be downloaded from the Dell
website and can be burned to a cd.
Best wishes.
Dave.

TedB

On 21 Apr 2005 05:42:36 -0700, "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know about the recovery cd you create with the utility
>BUT the OS cd is just an oem XP cd. It won't have
>drivers but they can be downloaded from the Dell
>website and can be burned to a cd.
>Best wishes.
>Dave.

I'd have a better chance of downloading what I needed from a page
written in ancient Aramic than from those 28 million or so pages written
in techno-babble on the Dell Web site.

tiffany

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

What's so hard about putting your system tag into the appropriate field on
their site and then choosing your operating system?

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:47 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
wrote:

><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
>> On 21 Apr 2005 05:42:36 -0700, "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't know about the recovery cd you create with the utility
>>>BUT the OS cd is just an oem XP cd. It won't have
>>>drivers but they can be downloaded from the Dell
>>>website and can be burned to a cd.
>>>Best wishes.
>>>Dave.
>>
>> I'd have a better chance of downloading what I needed from a page
>> written in ancient Aramic than from those 28 million or so pages written
>> in techno-babble on the Dell Web site.
>

>What's so hard about putting your system tag into the appropriate field on
>their site and then choosing your operating system?

Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
has no idea of what SATA means.

That sort of thing doesn't quite fit into their "we'll lead you by the
hand if you have tag number" philosophy.

Besides, the whole point here is that for the money I paid, I shouldn't
have gotten a half of a system. They should have been up front about
the fact that no OS disc came with the machine, and that the one
supposedly - again, "supposedly," available through their restore
system, was a crippled one, one confined to a single computer.

There are other matters concerning the lack of quality evident in my
"China" box, but I'm not going in those.

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:47 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
> wrote:
>>

>><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

>>> I'd have a better chance of downloading what I needed from a page
>>> written in ancient Aramic than from those 28 million or so pages written
>>> in techno-babble on the Dell Web site.
>>

>>What's so hard about putting your system tag into the appropriate field on
>>their site and then choosing your operating system?
>>
> Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
> has no idea of what SATA means.
>
> That sort of thing doesn't quite fit into their "we'll lead you by the
> hand if you have tag number" philosophy.
>
> Besides, the whole point here is that for the money I paid, I shouldn't
> have gotten a half of a system. They should have been up front about
> the fact that no OS disc came with the machine, and that the one
> supposedly - again, "supposedly," available through their restore
> system, was a crippled one, one confined to a single computer.
>
> There are other matters concerning the lack of quality evident in my
> "China" box, but I'm not going in those.

Dell was one of the very last holdouts still providing a genuine operating
system discs with their computers. Restore partitions/discs have been the
rule not the exception with nearly all of the major manufacturer/vendors for
a number of years. The change obviously hasn't been smooth or consistent.

I agree it is a shame that it appears Dell has finally caved in this area.
It may well affect my next computer purchase. I do greatly prefer having a
genuine os disc as opposed to the various restore options. It has been one
of the reasons I have recommended Dells to others over the other leading
manufacturers. I am rethinking that recommendation. My Dell computers have
been excellent but I have no particular loyalty to them if I can't get it my
way. It may be time to go back to building my own.

Having to load SATA drivers (whether you know what they are or not) to
install Windows is not a Dell specific issue. Any computer with SATA
harddrives requires this. It has nothing to do with being a Dell.

I will say that Dell is one of the better vendors out there as far as making
it's drivers simple to find and available for download. I just double
checked to make sure it hadn't changed. Logged into support, clicked
downloads, entered service tag, category all, Operating System XP, language
English got a list of drivers for all possible combinations of hardware that
were available for this particular system.

All OEM copies of Windows regardless of the modality of installation are
"confined to a single computer."

Which high quality "made in America" PC do you plan to purchase in boycott
of Dells "china box?"

(As a side note I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE computer in January
and got both a restore partition and a Genuine XP MCE disc. (DVD) I did not
get the utility to burn my own restore disc. I did not get the resource CD
of drivers but an email to support netted me one a few days later.)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

TedB

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:09:57 -0400, "HillBillyBuddhist"
<hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote:
snip

>Dell was one of the very last holdouts still providing a genuine operating
>system discs with their computers. Restore partitions/discs have been the
>rule not the exception with nearly all of the major manufacturer/vendors for
>a number of years. The change obviously hasn't been smooth or consistent.

Nowhere did they mention that an OS disc was not part of the bargain.
This would have influenced my purchase to the point of NOT buying a new
box, but getting my 98SE fixed or to find a local comp shop that puts
together their own boxes and would slip me a copy of the OS.

snip

>Having to load SATA drivers (whether you know what they are or not) to
>install Windows is not a Dell specific issue. Any computer with SATA
>harddrives requires this. It has nothing to do with being a Dell.

No, I cannot fault them for having used SATA drives, but I did not know
that. Neither did I know that no instructions nor drivers - on a disc,
would be supplied. (I knew better than to think I'd get a manual. What
they did send was a little more than a booklet covering their legal lack
of responsibility or liability.)

>I will say that Dell is one of the better vendors out there as far as making
>it's drivers simple to find and available for download. I just double
>checked to make sure it hadn't changed. Logged into support, clicked
>downloads, entered service tag, category all, Operating System XP, language
>English got a list of drivers for all possible combinations of hardware that
>were available for this particular system.

Well, I'm glad you could find them. But that is to be expected of
someone who has the knowledge to build his own box. Me? I found
references to about a hundred SATA gizmos. If you put a gun to my head I
couldn't pick out which was for my machine.

How many people who own automobiles are expected to be auto mechanics in
their spare time?

>All OEM copies of Windows regardless of the modality of installation are
>"confined to a single computer."

By OEM, I take it you mean those that come with a computer from a place
like Dell or Gateway.

In that case, MS has won. This kind of mandates that one has to buy a
full version, legal disc of XP from a place like Best Buy to be able to
load it on various personal home machines.

>Which high quality "made in America" PC do you plan to purchase in boycott
>of Dells "china box?"

I explained that I'd go to a local shop that puts them together. At
least I would have more control over the situation. As far as "high
quality" goods go in America, that is a thing of the past, except maybe
in a few certain fields. Walmart competitive type tactics of marketing
have reduced even brand name goods to being little less than junk.

>(As a side note I took delivery of a Dimension 8400 MCE computer in January
>and got both a restore partition and a Genuine XP MCE disc. (DVD) I did not
>get the utility to burn my own restore disc. I did not get the resource CD
>of drivers but an email to support netted me one a few days later.)

An e-mail to support netted me an automated reply that had nothing to do
with my problem. I have no intention of going any further than replying
to their ridiculous automated supply. I'm not spending hours, or days,
on a phone arguing with some bohunk in India who earns 2 rupees a day.

My next box will be made a one of the shops around here, and I will get
an *real* OS disc slipped to me or they don't get my business. Lastly,
they will be there when I need them - or the Better Business Bureau and
a few other entities will bug the hell outta them. It's called
'control.' Something I have none of with MS or Dell.

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:09:57 -0400, "HillBillyBuddhist"
> <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote:

> Nowhere did they mention that an OS disc was not part of the bargain.

First off I still agree with you. All computers should come with a genuine
operating system disc. As I said before this may well influence my next
computer purchase too.

Using your "Nowhere did they mention" paradigm however, did they somewhere
mention that an OS disc *would* be included or was this something you
assumed? No OS disc has unfortunetly become the industry standard.

> How many people who own automobiles are expected to be auto mechanics in
> their spare time?

Not even one. Those who don't know how, or don't want to learn how, pay
someone else to do it. It sounds like that's what you should do. The list of
drivers for Dell systems could hardly be put in an easier to understand
format.

> By OEM, I take it you mean those that come with a computer from a place
> like Dell or Gateway.

Yes.

> In that case, MS has won. This kind of mandates that one has to buy a
> full version, legal disc of XP from a place like Best Buy to be able to
> load it on various personal home machines.

You have never been able to use one copy of any version of any Microsoft
Operating System to "load it on various personal home machines." It is and
always has been one copy for one computer. The difference between OEM and
retail is you can transfer a retail copy to a different computer. (after
removing it from the first computer) OEM versions are permenently tied to
the system on which they are first installed and cannot legally be
transferred.

> I'm not spending hours, or days,
> on a phone arguing with some bohunk in India who earns 2 rupees a day.

Very classy. (and telling) You sure I'm not from India?

> My next box will be made a one of the shops around here, and I will get
> an *real* OS disc slipped to me or they don't get my business. Lastly,
> they will be there when I need them.

You sure? Statistically who do you suppose has a better chance of still
being in business in 5 years Dell or Bobs Computers? Local computer shops
tend to come and go like bohunk Indian restaurants at a strip mall.

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
> <tedB@bommer.net> wrote:
> > "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:
>
> > Nowhere did they mention that an OS disc was not part of the bargain.
>
> Using your "Nowhere did they mention" paradigm however, did they somewhere
> mention that an OS disc *would* be included or was this something you
> assumed? No OS disc has unfortunetly become the industry standard.

That's a smart alecky response. For the previous Dell owners, the OS CD
is something taken for granted. Yes, they *would* assume that.

> > How many people who own automobiles are expected to be auto mechanics in
> > their spare time?
>
> Not even one. Those who don't know how, or don't want to learn how, pay
> someone else to do it. It sounds like that's what you should do. The list of
> drivers for Dell systems could hardly be put in an easier to understand
> format.

Another smart alecky response. Can anyone, paid or not, reinstall
without the OS CD? And what about the difficulty in reinstalling the
system drivers without the Resource CD?

<tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:47 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
> wrote:
>>

>><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

>>> I'd have a better chance of downloading what I needed from a page
>>> written in ancient Aramic than from those 28 million or so pages written
>>> in techno-babble on the Dell Web site.
>>

>>What's so hard about putting your system tag into the appropriate field on
>>their site and then choosing your operating system?
>>
> Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
> has no idea of what SATA means.
>
> That sort of thing doesn't quite fit into their "we'll lead you by the
> hand if you have tag number" philosophy.
>
> Besides, the whole point here is that for the money I paid, I shouldn't
> have gotten a half of a system. They should have been up front about
> the fact that no OS disc came with the machine, and that the one
> supposedly - again, "supposedly," available through their restore
> system, was a crippled one, one confined to a single computer.
>
> There are other matters concerning the lack of quality evident in my
> "China" box, but I'm not going in those.

If you don't know what SATA means, then you sure as heck shouldn't have been
reinstalling your OS. The restore image is perfect for you.

TedB

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:18:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:47 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

>>>What's so hard about putting your system tag into the appropriate field on
>>>their site and then choosing your operating system?
>>>
>> Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
>> has no idea of what SATA means.
>>
>> That sort of thing doesn't quite fit into their "we'll lead you by the
>> hand if you have tag number" philosophy.
>>
>> Besides, the whole point here is that for the money I paid, I shouldn't
>> have gotten a half of a system. They should have been up front about
>> the fact that no OS disc came with the machine, and that the one
>> supposedly - again, "supposedly," available through their restore
>> system, was a crippled one, one confined to a single computer.
>>
>> There are other matters concerning the lack of quality evident in my
>> "China" box, but I'm not going in those.
>
>If you don't know what SATA means, then you sure as heck shouldn't have been
>reinstalling your OS. The restore image is perfect for you.

Well, I'll tell ya, smartmouth, my last boxes were Wind 98SE ones, and
it was no big deal if one had to install the OS and the programs. I had
to do it only once for myself, but I did it a few times for friends.
Drive Image got me around the problem of bad crashes.

Anymore insults?

tiffany

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Windows 98 would need SATA drivers too, as would Linux, Macintosh, BeOS,
Amiga, etc...

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:18:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
> Well, I'll tell ya, smartmouth, my last boxes were Wind 98SE ones, and
> it was no big deal if one had to install the OS and the programs. I had
> to do it only once for myself, but I did it a few times for friends.
> Drive Image got me around the problem of bad crashes.
>
> Anymore insults?

TedB

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:43:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
wrote:

><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:18:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>> wrote:
>> Well, I'll tell ya, smartmouth, my last boxes were Wind 98SE ones, and
>> it was no big deal if one had to install the OS and the programs. I had
>> to do it only once for myself, but I did it a few times for friends.
>> Drive Image got me around the problem of bad crashes.
>>
>> Anymore insults?

I installed with the drive disks (floppies) that came with the disks.
Never read anything re: SATA on any of the drive literature specs of my
Maxtors. I think you are speaking recent history. I don't think SATA was
around when I bought my last drives some years back.

TedB

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:19:23 -0700, smh <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote:

>HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
>> <tedB@bommer.net> wrote:
>> > "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:
>>
>> > Nowhere did they mention that an OS disc was not part of the bargain.
>>
>> Using your "Nowhere did they mention" paradigm however, did they somewhere
>> mention that an OS disc *would* be included or was this something you
>> assumed? No OS disc has unfortunetly become the industry standard.
>
>That's a smart alecky response. For the previous Dell owners, the OS CD
>is something taken for granted. Yes, they *would* assume that.
>
>> > How many people who own automobiles are expected to be auto mechanics in
>> > their spare time?
>>
>> Not even one. Those who don't know how, or don't want to learn how, pay
>> someone else to do it. It sounds like that's what you should do. The list of
>> drivers for Dell systems could hardly be put in an easier to understand
>> format.
>
>Another smart alecky response. Can anyone, paid or not, reinstall
>without the OS CD? And what about the difficulty in reinstalling the
>system drivers without the Resource CD?

Brahmins walk on water. The don't need no stinking Resource CD. :)

laura

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:43:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
> wrote:
>

>><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:18:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>>> wrote:
>>> Well, I'll tell ya, smartmouth, my last boxes were Wind 98SE ones, and
>>> it was no big deal if one had to install the OS and the programs. I had
>>> to do it only once for myself, but I did it a few times for friends.
>>> Drive Image got me around the problem of bad crashes.
>>>
>>> Anymore insults?
>>
> I installed with the drive disks (floppies) that came with the disks.
> Never read anything re: SATA on any of the drive literature specs of my
> Maxtors. I think you are speaking recent history. I don't think SATA was
> around when I bought my last drives some years back.

Do yourself a favor and e-mail dell and request both the Drivers Cd as well
as the OS CD. That way you have them just in case you need them in the
future. I'm still not convinced that the Recovery CD I created today will be
useful if I ever get a new hard drive for this laptop.

TedB

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:03:28 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
wrote:

>Do yourself a favor and e-mail dell and request both the Drivers Cd as well
>as the OS CD. That way you have them just in case you need them in the
>future. I'm still not convinced that the Recovery CD I created today will be
>useful if I ever get a new hard drive for this laptop.

I have an email out to them, plus a follow up to their nonsense reply.
If, as they say, a human reads the follow ups, I'll "discuss" it at that
time.

I have DriverGuide ToolKit on my 98SE machine. I guess I'll install it
on this XP Pro and see how it works.

Free plug:
http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

wrote:

><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:43:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

>> I installed with the drive disks (floppies) that came with the disks.
>> Never read anything re: SATA on any of the drive literature specs of my
>> Maxtors. I think you are speaking recent history. I don't think SATA was
>> around when I bought my last drives some years back.
>
>Do yourself a favor and e-mail dell and request both the Drivers Cd as well
>as the OS CD. That way you have them just in case you need them in the
>future. I'm still not convinced that the Recovery CD I created today will be
>useful if I ever get a new hard drive for this laptop.

Surprise!

Already I received an e-mail saying they would ship me the Recovery CD.
I did ask for a CD with all drivers, especially those for the SATA
drive.

We shall see.

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:03:28 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
> wrote:
>

> ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

> >> I installed with the drive disks (floppies) that came with the disks.
> >> Never read anything re: SATA on any of the drive literature specs of my
> >> Maxtors. I think you are speaking recent history. I don't think SATA was
> >> around when I bought my last drives some years back.
> >
> >Do yourself a favor and e-mail dell and request both the Drivers Cd as well
> >as the OS CD. That way you have them just in case you need them in the
> >future. I'm still not convinced that the Recovery CD I created today will be
> >useful if I ever get a new hard drive for this laptop.
>
> Surprise!
>
> Already I received an e-mail saying they would ship me the Recovery CD.
> I did ask for a CD with all drivers, especially those for the SATA
> drive.
>
> We shall see.

In the past, the CD with drivers, user guides, diagnostics, etc., has been
known as the "ResourceCD."

Things may have changed.

Notan

TedB

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:11:02 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

snipped

>> Surprise!
>>
>> Already I received an e-mail saying they would ship me the Recovery CD.
>> I did ask for a CD with all drivers, especially those for the SATA
>> drive.
>>
>> We shall see.
>
>In the past, the CD with drivers, user guides, diagnostics, etc., has been
>known as the "ResourceCD."
>
>Things may have changed.
>
>Notan

It doesn't hurt to cover that base, just in case.

tedB@bommer.net wrote:
> smh wrote:
>
> >HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

> >> Using your "Nowhere did they mention" paradigm however, did they somewhere
> >> mention that an OS disc *would* be included or was this something you
> >> assumed? No OS disc has unfortunetly become the industry standard.
> >
> >That's a smart alecky response. For the previous Dell owners, the OS CD
> >is something taken for granted. Yes, they *would* assume that.

> >> Not even one. Those who don't know how, or don't want to learn how, pay
> >> someone else to do it. It sounds like that's what you should do. The list of
> >> drivers for Dell systems could hardly be put in an easier to understand
> >> format.
> >
> >Another smart alecky response. Can anyone, paid or not, reinstall
> >without the OS CD? And what about the difficulty in reinstalling the
> >system drivers without the Resource CD?
>
> Brahmins walk on water. The don't need no stinking Resource CD. :)

LOL!

laura

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:03:28 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>>Do yourself a favor and e-mail dell and request both the Drivers Cd as
>>well
>>as the OS CD. That way you have them just in case you need them in the
>>future. I'm still not convinced that the Recovery CD I created today will
>>be
>>useful if I ever get a new hard drive for this laptop.
>
> I have an email out to them, plus a follow up to their nonsense reply.
> If, as they say, a human reads the follow ups, I'll "discuss" it at that
> time.
>
> I have DriverGuide ToolKit on my 98SE machine. I guess I'll install it
> on this XP Pro and see how it works.
>
> Free plug:
> http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

Thanks,

You might find this useful too:

It will give you a list of all your installed hardware and software.
Print it out (or save the file elsewhere). Might come in handy if you
need to identify a particular piece of hardware.

<tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:18:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>

>><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

>>> Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
>>> has no idea of what SATA means.
>>>
>>> That sort of thing doesn't quite fit into their "we'll lead you by the
>>> hand if you have tag number" philosophy.
>>>
>>> Besides, the whole point here is that for the money I paid, I shouldn't
>>> have gotten a half of a system. They should have been up front about
>>> the fact that no OS disc came with the machine, and that the one
>>> supposedly - again, "supposedly," available through their restore
>>> system, was a crippled one, one confined to a single computer.
>>>
>>> There are other matters concerning the lack of quality evident in my
>>> "China" box, but I'm not going in those.
>>
>>If you don't know what SATA means, then you sure as heck shouldn't have
>>been
>>reinstalling your OS. The restore image is perfect for you.
>>
> Well, I'll tell ya, smartmouth, my last boxes were Wind 98SE ones, and
> it was no big deal if one had to install the OS and the programs. I had
> to do it only once for myself, but I did it a few times for friends.
> Drive Image got me around the problem of bad crashes.
>
> Anymore insults?

Not an insult, just a fact. Sorry it offended upi

"smh" <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
>> <tedB@bommer.net> wrote:
>> > "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:
>>
>> > Nowhere did they mention that an OS disc was not part of the bargain.
>>
>> Using your "Nowhere did they mention" paradigm however, did they
>> somewhere
>> mention that an OS disc *would* be included or was this something you
>> assumed? No OS disc has unfortunetly become the industry standard.
>
> That's a smart alecky response.

Yes it was. I'm glad that made it through. Nuance is so often lost in the
written word.

>For the previous Dell owners, the OS CD
> is something taken for granted. Yes, they *would* assume that.

How's that assumption working? (please see the last paragraph)

>> > How many people who own automobiles are expected to be auto mechanics
>> > in
>> > their spare time?
>>
>> Not even one. Those who don't know how, or don't want to learn how, pay
>> someone else to do it. It sounds like that's what you should do. The list
>> of
>> drivers for Dell systems could hardly be put in an easier to understand
>> format.
>
> Another smart alecky response.

Right again. Two for two. Congratulations.

>Can anyone, paid or not, reinstall
> without the OS CD? And what about the difficulty in reinstalling the
> system drivers without the Resource CD?

If you read the thread I was addressing this guys whining about how only a
computer genius could navigate the vast complexities of the Dell Web site in
order to download a driver (which frankly couldn't be easier and is better
than most) and about how he was darned if he was going to trade emails or
make phone calls or do anything other than moan to get the problem fixed.

The "bohunk in India who earns 2 rupees a day" comment was what prompted the
"smart alecky" response.

You've conveniently left out the several time I've stated my own
disappointment with Dells decision to finally cave to the industry standard
of not providing genuine operating system discs and the fact that I've
stated several time that this could conceivably influence my next computer
purchase and further recommendations.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:09:24 -0500, tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
>has no idea of what SATA means.

I find it kind of hard to believe someone would buy a SATA drive and
PCI card without knowing what they are. (Well, ok, my wife did buy
the drive, but I did the install!) And if the motherboard supports
SATA natively, which I've heard the newest Dells do, no drivers should
be needed.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

"Paul Knudsen" <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:09:24 -0500, tedB@bommer.net wrote:
>
>>Try that when one needs SATA drivers to load the OS. Especially when one
>>has no idea of what SATA means.
>
> I find it kind of hard to believe someone would buy a SATA drive and
> PCI card without knowing what they are. (Well, ok, my wife did buy
> the drive, but I did the install!) And if the motherboard supports
> SATA natively, which I've heard the newest Dells do, no drivers should
> be needed.
> --
> Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
> http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/

XP needs the drivers. It doesn't have native SATA support. They're too new.