Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
After I reset the local area connection, it works again.

My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
folder.
The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
download the SP2.
I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.

So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
Thanx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Remove SP2 and download it in the normal manner with your anti-virus turned
off. It can easily cause a bad install.

If you want SP2 on a CD:

XP SP2 CD:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Run a Defrag after you're done.

Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
> After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
> It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
> After I reset the local area connection, it works again.
>
> My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
> folder.
> The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
> download the SP2.
> I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.
>
> So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
> Thanx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Do I need to leave my NIS firewall on when I download the SP2?
If I turned off the anti-virus software and the worm or virus appear at that
time, does my PC still have protection?
Thanx

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> Remove SP2 and download it in the normal manner with your anti-virus
> turned off. It can easily cause a bad install.
>
> If you want SP2 on a CD:
>
> XP SP2 CD:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
>
> Run a Defrag after you're done.
>
> Bruce Hagen
> MS MVP - (IE/OE)
> ~IB-CA~
>
> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>> After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
>> It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
>> After I reset the local area connection, it works again.
>>
>> My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
>> folder.
>> The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
>> download the SP2.
>> I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.
>>
>> So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
>> Thanx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You don't have to turn off your firewall, but what worm are you talking
about? Have a look at Frank's reply.
--

> Do I need to leave my NIS firewall on when I download the SP2?
> If I turned off the anti-virus software and the worm or virus appear at
> that time, does my PC still have protection?
> Thanx
>

> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> Remove SP2 and download it in the normal manner with your anti-virus
>> turned off. It can easily cause a bad install.
>>
>> If you want SP2 on a CD:
>>
>> XP SP2 CD:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
>>
>> Run a Defrag after you're done.
>>
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS MVP - (IE/OE)
>> ~IB-CA~
>>
>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
>>> It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
>>> After I reset the local area connection, it works again.
>>>
>>> My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
>>> folder.
>>> The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
>>> download the SP2.
>>> I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.
>>>
>>> So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
>>> Thanx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
> After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
> It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
> After I reset the local area connection, it works again.
>
> My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
> folder.
> The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
> download the SP2.
> I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.
>
> So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
> Thanx

Remove SP2 and then remove any spyware. After that turn off your anti-virus
before reinstalling SP2.

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stack and you may
not be able to connect to the Internet. Before you try to remove spyware,
download a copy of LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2
stacks (all Windows versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/tshoot.htm
http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

1. Uninstall SP2 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot.

2. Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your HijackThis
log to an appropriate forum.

Check for Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip)
is the preferred tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove
any hijackware/spyware.

**Post your HijackThis log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or
other appropriate forum for expert analysis, not here.**

3. Do not install SP2 until an expert gives your HijackThis log a clean bill
of health.

Also see:

What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
;xpsp2insthowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto

Troubleshooting Your Installation
;xpsp2insttshoot]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insttshoot

WinXP SP2 FAQ: What to do after installing SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2installed

Service Pack (any) Installation Checklist (MVP Jupiter Jones)

WinXP SP2-specific Page (MVP Jupiter Jones)
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

dh wrote:
> After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
> It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
> After I reset the local area connection, it works again.
>
> My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
> folder.
> The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
> download the SP2.
> I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.
>
> So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
> Thanx

TRENDING THREADS