IE6 not working good after installing sp2

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
After I reset the local area connection, it works again.

My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
folder.
The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
download the SP2.
I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.

So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
Thanx
5 answers Last reply
More about working good installing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Remove SP2 and download it in the normal manner with your anti-virus turned
    off. It can easily cause a bad install.

    If you want SP2 on a CD:

    XP SP2 CD:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    Run a Defrag after you're done.

    Bruce Hagen
    MS MVP - (IE/OE)
    ~IB-CA~

    "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    > After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
    > It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
    > After I reset the local area connection, it works again.
    >
    > My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
    > folder.
    > The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
    > download the SP2.
    > I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.
    >
    > So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
    > Thanx

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Do I need to leave my NIS firewall on when I download the SP2?
    If I turned off the anti-virus software and the worm or virus appear at that
    time, does my PC still have protection?
    Thanx

    "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
    > Remove SP2 and download it in the normal manner with your anti-virus
    > turned off. It can easily cause a bad install.
    >
    > If you want SP2 on a CD:
    >
    > XP SP2 CD:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    >
    > Run a Defrag after you're done.
    >
    > Bruce Hagen
    > MS MVP - (IE/OE)
    > ~IB-CA~
    >
    > "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
    >> It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
    >> After I reset the local area connection, it works again.
    >>
    >> My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
    >> folder.
    >> The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
    >> download the SP2.
    >> I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.
    >>
    >> So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
    >> Thanx

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    You don't have to turn off your firewall, but what worm are you talking
    about? Have a look at Frank's reply.
    --

    > Do I need to leave my NIS firewall on when I download the SP2?
    > If I turned off the anti-virus software and the worm or virus appear at
    > that time, does my PC still have protection?
    > Thanx
    >

    > "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Remove SP2 and download it in the normal manner with your anti-virus
    >> turned off. It can easily cause a bad install.
    >>
    >> If you want SP2 on a CD:
    >>
    >> XP SP2 CD:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    >>
    >> Run a Defrag after you're done.
    >>
    >> Bruce Hagen
    >> MS MVP - (IE/OE)
    >> ~IB-CA~
    >>
    >> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>> After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
    >>> It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
    >>> After I reset the local area connection, it works again.
    >>>
    >>> My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
    >>> folder.
    >>> The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
    >>> download the SP2.
    >>> I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.
    >>>
    >>> So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
    >>> Thanx

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    > After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
    > It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
    > After I reset the local area connection, it works again.
    >
    > My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
    > folder.
    > The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
    > download the SP2.
    > I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.
    >
    > So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
    > Thanx

    Remove SP2 and then remove any spyware. After that turn off your anti-virus
    before reinstalling SP2.

    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stack and you may
    not be able to connect to the Internet. Before you try to remove spyware,
    download a copy of LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2
    stacks (all Windows versions)
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
    WinXP:
    Get WinSockxpFix
    How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
    CMD
    In the command window type
    netsh winsock reset

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/tshoot.htm
    http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    1. Uninstall SP2 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot.

    2. Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your HijackThis
    log to an appropriate forum.

    Check for Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

    When all else fails, HijackThis (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip)
    is the preferred tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove
    any hijackware/spyware.

    **Post your HijackThis log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or
    other appropriate forum for expert analysis, not here.**

    3. Do not install SP2 until an expert gives your HijackThis log a clean bill
    of health.

    Also see:

    What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto

    Troubleshooting Your Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insttshoot

    WinXP SP2 FAQ: What to do after installing SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2installed

    Service Pack (any) Installation Checklist (MVP Jupiter Jones)

    WinXP SP2-specific Page (MVP Jupiter Jones)
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

    The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    dh wrote:
    > After installing SP2, the IE6 does not work very well.
    > It always results in DNS error no matter which URL I enter.
    > After I reset the local area connection, it works again.
    >
    > My installation of SP2 is done by downloading the SP2 and save it in a
    > folder.
    > The updated firewall and antivirus software is running at the time I
    > download the SP2.
    > I disconnected the internet connection at the time I install the SP2.
    >
    > So, which parameters should I check to find the problem?
    > Thanx

Connection Microsoft IE6 Windows XP