Sign in with
Your question

I have Windows 7 installed and running on my computer.now i have installed windo

Last response: in Windows 7
October 21, 2012 8:01:13 AM

I have Windows 7 installed and running on my computer.now i have installed windows xp to another partition..bt now only starting windows xp on,y..no os select menu..plzz help me
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2012 8:06:04 AM

ANstudio said:
I have Windows 7 installed and running on my computer.now i have installed windows xp to another partition..bt now only starting windows xp on,y..no os select menu..plzz help me

Installing Windows XP over Windows 7 will break it. You must do this the other way around. Windows XP is depreciated and should not be used.
October 21, 2012 8:16:06 AM

ohh god,, really?now shall i format da xp partition whn im in a boot menu?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2012 8:25:57 AM

ANstudio said:
ohh god,, really?now shall i format da xp partition whn im in a boot menu?

Operating systems use what is called a "boot loader" to determine what OS to boot. This boot loader exists at the very beginning of the hard drive and only one boot loader can be installed at a time. This is where you select which operating system to boot.

Since Windows XP is so old, it most likely does not understand the Windows 7 boot loader, so it overwrote it with its own without adding Windows 7 as a boot option. If your computer is new and you installed a 64 bit version of Windows 7, Windows 7 may have formatted the hard drive with a GPT partitioning scheme which Windows has no idea how to read. If you were careless in installing Windows XP then you may have completely destroyed your Windows 7 installation.

There is no reason to install Windows XP as Windows 7 has almost flawless compatibility with Windows XP applications.
October 21, 2012 8:36:37 AM

thanks
!