rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
athlonwill release higher than 2GHz and have pr rating between 3400 and 3600 :smile:
the guy i spoke to also was confident that it would be very competitive against prescott

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
there 2 athlon 63 Paris and a opteron core with some ht link disable.So wich do you speak also even opteron got not much chance in single cpu again Prescott.Most of the hype they try to create is dead, most have loss faith in AMD.

[-peep-] french

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
If you had faith in a semiconductor corporation......you're desperately in need of a religion to mindlessly devote to....

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Maybe reading their <A HREF="http://ww3.ics.adp.com/streetlink/amd" target="_new">Annual Report</A> will bring you back to the light or dark side depending on your bias or bios.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
im talking about the desktop athlon64 core. apparantly intel are having some trouble with motherboards and wont be going any higher than 3.6GHz this year at the most.. dont know what the problem is because i had to get to a presentation and didnt get to ask. anyway the athlon64 has 2ht links instead of 3 and is in single channel ddr. the opteron has 3ht links and dual channel.
also looks like they will only support ddr1 at release ddr2 will i assume come with updated core.
the os will actually be a update for windows server2003. the x86-64 extensions will just be bolted on the back end. interestingly enough the microsoft guy knew nothing about it when i asked him first and he suggested i talk to amd.. strange
it will be backwards compatable all the way back to 16bit natively. in fact they said they installed windows3.1 on an athlon64 system.. it took about 45seconds :lol: they were using it to play pacman! and we can expect 15-20 % performance increase just going to 64bit os.. something to do with 64bit using the registers more efficiently

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
One thing to note, AMD decided to drop pre-protected mode support (16-bit) when in 64-bit mode. That is, if you are running an OS that switches the processor to 64-bit mode, either compatibility or full 64-bit, you won't be able to run 16-bit applications natively. Although this really isn't an issue as Windows NT/2k/XP don't even run 16-bit applications natively anyway.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
is any of this new news or am i a little behind and just finding out stuff you guys already know?

blackflea

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
I don't really care who launches what or at what speed as long as it's not a missile. Peace first, war later!

I am black, but i am not the devil --> >:). !!!

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
i agree with you but this is a cpu forum. not an anti-war political forum. if you must post about the war do t in the "other" forum.

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
and we can expect 15-20 % performance increase just going to 64bit os..
That's the part where you prove that you don't know what 64-bit in fact means. In the beginning most people thought that a 64-bit CPU offers twice the performance (read: speed) than a 32-bit CPU. In the meantime we all know that this is BS and that a 64-bit CPU only offers slight increases in performance in the range of 2-5%, if you can compare 64-bit programs with 32-bit ones at all!

You're 15-20% performance increase won't happen because
A) a program needs not only to be ported to 64-bit to make a speed increase noticeable but it also needs to be optimized for 64-bit which takes a very long time.

B) even if you succeed in optimizing a program/game for 64-bit, the code has changed that much that it is no longer comparable to the 32-bit counterpart (read: it evolved into different program)

If you really believe in this 15-20% speed increase, you will be severly disappointed! No doubt about it.

64-bit computing offers major advantages over 32-bit but none of them is currently available for the desktop user at home trying to play Unreal 2 or whatever game.

Don't expect doom3 to run 10-15% faster on a Athlon 64 than on a common 32-bit CPU, in fact don't even expect a 64-bit port of doom3 at all...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
One thing to note, AMD decided to drop pre-protected mode support (16-bit) when in 64-bit mode. That is, if you are running an OS that switches the processor to 64-bit mode, either compatibility or full 64-bit, you won't be able to run 16-bit applications natively. Although this really isn't an issue as Windows NT/2k/XP don't even run 16-bit applications natively anyway.
Are you serious? That's kind of nuts. I mean that means that anyone with <i>any</i> old software will be pretty screwed to run it on an A64. Bummer. No Master of Magic! No Syndicate! :( Naughty AMD. I'd expect that kind of nonsense from M$, but not from AMD.

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
So let me get this straight, if i want to use my current software i need to stick with a 32 bit cpu? If this is the case, i wont be needing a 64 bit cpu for several years :p

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
no, 32-bit programs will always run on the Athlon64, whether in 32-bit legacy mode or 32-bit compatiblity mode with 64-bit support.

Both previous posts were about older 16-bit programs...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
no, 32-bit programs will always run on the Athlon64, whether in 32-bit legacy mode or 32-bit compatiblity mode with 64-bit support.

Both previous posts were about older 16-bit programs...
Exactly. And <i>I</i> happen to have plenty of old 16-bit programs that I still enjoy using.

then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
yes, current 32-bit software will run faster on the Athlon64 but only because the Athlon64 is an improved 32-bit CPU (higher clockrate, more cache, improved branch predicitions and so on...) and not because it's an 64-bit CPU with a 64-bit OS. That's a big difference.

Don't mix up those two things!

eden

Champion
I believe you for now, though the news about it competing Prescott is a new one. Hopefully it's true, because Athlon 64 is delayed way outta its head, and the chances are slim if it don't perform at 2.5GHZ with at least a 20% IPC boost from a 2.5GHZ Athlon Barton.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

eden

Champion
Dude, can't you read what RCJ even wrote just a LINE below his 64-bit statement?
The majority of this boost is probably due to the registers added, not because of 64-bit addressing. The guy did not make a misinformed statement at all, when he added such.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I believe you for now, though the news about it competing Prescott is a new one. Hopefully it's true, because Athlon 64 is delayed way outta its head, and the chances are slim if it don't perform at 2.5GHZ with at least a 20% IPC boost from a 2.5GHZ Athlon Barton.
Are you kidding? At this point all that AMD has to do is prove that the Athlon64 even works and the AMD pundits will proclaim it a great success. Besides, the more I think about it, chances are that all AMD will do is start releasing Bartons with a 400MHz FSB so that they can up the PR without having to actually nudge that GHz much (if any) higher. They'll probably proclaim a 400MHz FSB is worth 200 points over a 333MHz FSB and just up Barton's FSB to release a 3200+. It'll totally not be worth its price and everyone will be miffed.

And then the Athlon64 will come out and everyone will be happy just to have something with headroom to upgrade that isn't a flaming torch of a tiny CPU. It'll be the next best thing since sliced bread, even if the ratings that it's released at are the exact same as the AXPs (or less). They'll tout the ever-amazing 64-bit processing and memory controller built into the CPU as oh-so-spectacular, and in the end no one will care whether it's performace actually sucks for now. After all, the performance lag is all the OSs fault. Blame Microsoft, not AMD. Yeah. It'll get better ... right? No, seriously, it <i>will</i> get better, won't it? Not until 2H 04? Oh well...

Okay, so maybe that's a bit pessimistic. Maybe it really won't be that blindly stupid. Maybe AMD really will impress us. And then again, maybe not. There sure must be <i>some</i> reason (other than lame excuses) as to why it's taking this long to release the Athlon64...

Back a few I said that AMD must be having problems getting their new core to run on a .13 micron process. People said "Not a chance. AMD rocks. Look, they're finally releasing the Thoroughbred core. All is good. You're just nuts." And then we found out that the Thoroughbred core that they did release was pretty much at it's limit already and needed a core redesign to clock any higher with a decent yield.

Now AMD is delaying the Athlon64 like it the 'delay card' is the only one in their deck to deal. I propose that there's a <i>reason</i> for that, and it <i>isn't</i> the unavailability of a 64-bit OS.

Anywho, that's my dark thought for the day. :) Enjoy.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
in fact don't even expect a 64-bit port of doom3 at all...
Why not? If ID soft can release Q3A for Linux, then it's very possible for them to make Doom3 for x86-64.

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
oh, AMD's stock is up 10%. Still, it's half of what Intel is at, although both of them are nothing to write home about :)

<font color=blue>Let's see, 500 posts a day, each day, for 30 days, and I will have more posts than Crashman!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hoserb2000 on 04/03/03 08:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL funny thread...

"i have lost faith in..."
Some people really need jesus in this thread :wink: or a girlfriend hehehe

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>