Startup problems

Dell Dimension 4550
WindowsXP Home SP1 - have not installed SP2, waiting to get the system clean
of all spyware and viruses.

eTrust antivirus by Computer Associates (updated)
AdAware (updated)
Zone Alarm firewall (updated)

What occurs:

From a cold boot or Restart the computer, in both normal and safe modes, the
Welcome screen will come up. On the Welcome screen, upon selecting the user
or Administrator, in either mode, the machine will go thru the early startup
process and then go to Saving your settings and will not go further. It
will sit on the Welcome screen, and it is possible to begin the sequence all
over again, with the same results.

Consequently, I cannot do anything on this computer today - seemed to be
working normally last night.

Have been having virus and spyware problems, but thought I had it pretty
well cleaned up last night - only two virus showed up on last scan, ie.,
Win32.Rbot.CLR worm and SillyDI.FR trojan, both in C:\System Volume
Information... ETrust AV could not delete them. I have emailed Computer
Associates for instructions on removal, but no reply as yet.

Any help will be appreciated.

Detailed guidance will be appreciated as I am barely more than a novice at
this.

Nels

Nels, have you tried Safe Mode with Command Prompt. If that works you
can do a System Restore from there.
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_perform_a_system_restor.htm

"Nels Hansen" <nmhansen@bendnet.delete.com> wrote in message
> Dell Dimension 4550
> WindowsXP Home SP1 - have not installed SP2, waiting to get the system
> clean of all spyware and viruses.
>
> eTrust antivirus by Computer Associates (updated)
> AdAware (updated)
> Zone Alarm firewall (updated)
>
> What occurs:
>
> From a cold boot or Restart the computer, in both normal and safe modes,
> the Welcome screen will come up. On the Welcome screen, upon selecting
> the user or Administrator, in either mode, the machine will go thru the
> early startup process and then go to Saving your settings and will not go
> further. It will sit on the Welcome screen, and it is possible to begin
> the sequence all over again, with the same results.
>
> Consequently, I cannot do anything on this computer today - seemed to be
> working normally last night.
>
> Have been having virus and spyware problems, but thought I had it pretty
> well cleaned up last night - only two virus showed up on last scan, ie.,
> Win32.Rbot.CLR worm and SillyDI.FR trojan, both in C:\System Volume
> Information... ETrust AV could not delete them. I have emailed Computer
> Associates for instructions on removal, but no reply as yet.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Detailed guidance will be appreciated as I am barely more than a novice at
> this.
>
> Nels

Rich:

Haven't been able to try your suggestions yet. Will advise later when Dell
and I get it up and running
properly.

Thanks for your input!!!

Nels

"Rich Barry" <rbarry@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Nels, have you tried Safe Mode with Command Prompt. If that works you
> can do a System Restore from there.
>
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_perform_a_system_restor.htm
>

> "Nels Hansen" <nmhansen@bendnet.delete.com> wrote in message
>> Dell Dimension 4550
>> WindowsXP Home SP1 - have not installed SP2, waiting to get the system
>> clean of all spyware and viruses.
>>
>> eTrust antivirus by Computer Associates (updated)
>> AdAware (updated)
>> Zone Alarm firewall (updated)
>>
>> What occurs:
>>
>> From a cold boot or Restart the computer, in both normal and safe modes,
>> the Welcome screen will come up. On the Welcome screen, upon selecting
>> the user or Administrator, in either mode, the machine will go thru the
>> early startup process and then go to Saving your settings and will not go
>> further. It will sit on the Welcome screen, and it is possible to begin
>> the sequence all over again, with the same results.
>>
>> Consequently, I cannot do anything on this computer today - seemed to be
>> working normally last night.
>>
>> Have been having virus and spyware problems, but thought I had it pretty
>> well cleaned up last night - only two virus showed up on last scan, ie.,
>> Win32.Rbot.CLR worm and SillyDI.FR trojan, both in C:\System Volume
>> Information... ETrust AV could not delete them. I have emailed Computer
>> Associates for instructions on removal, but no reply as yet.
>>
>> Any help will be appreciated.
>>
>> Detailed guidance will be appreciated as I am barely more than a novice
>> at this.
>>
>> Nels

Rich:

Just tried John Barnett's instructions for "Safe Mode with Command Prompt":
It didn't work - just took me right back to the Welcome Screen.

Any other suggestions?

Appreciate your help!!!