MSIE 6.0; AOL Browser; Searchit; Firefox

I just downloaded AOL's browser today, and it flagged me about some
potential Spyware called "Searchit". I clicked the button to go ahead
and block it, and this caused my attempts at opening other browsers
(e.g. MSIE, Firefox) to cause CPU utilization to spike, and these
browsers never opened up.

The only way to fix it was to backtrack and enable "searchit" again.

Is "searchit" a true pest to have? I don't remember installing it.
14 answers Last reply
More about msie browser searchit firefox

    valemike@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I just downloaded AOL's browser today, and it flagged me about some
    > potential Spyware called "Searchit". I clicked the button to go ahead
    > and block it, and this caused my attempts at opening other browsers
    > (e.g. MSIE, Firefox) to cause CPU utilization to spike, and these
    > browsers never opened up.
    >
    > The only way to fix it was to backtrack and enable "searchit" again.
    >

    > Is "searchit" a true pest to have? I don't remember installing it.

    Thanks for the Microsoft AntiSpyware beta info. I never knew it
    existed. Now i have that running in parallel with all this redundant
    AOL stuff. I'd like to uninstall AOL altogether, but the last time i
    did that, it caused me to lose my Internet connections, and i had to
    re-install everything from scratch. oh well.

    AOL (or AOHell) is not truely recommended. The standard browser are MSIE
    and Firefox.

    You now need to do a complete sypware check with known "clean" ant-spyware
    utilities. Such are:

    AD Aware SE
    Spybot: Search and Destroy
    CWShredder
    Microsoft AntiSpyware.

    <valemike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I just downloaded AOL's browser today, and it flagged me about some
    > potential Spyware called "Searchit". I clicked the button to go ahead
    > and block it, and this caused my attempts at opening other browsers
    > (e.g. MSIE, Firefox) to cause CPU utilization to spike, and these
    > browsers never opened up.
    >
    > The only way to fix it was to backtrack and enable "searchit" again.
    >

    > Is "searchit" a true pest to have? I don't remember installing it.

    Is AOL your ISP? What exactly is "AOL's browser" and from where did you
    download it? What flagged this potential Spyware called "Searchit"?

    eTrust Spyware Encyclopedia - Searchit:
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453072546

    McAfee Inc.:
    http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/content/v_130931.htm

    doxdesk.com: database: Pugi:
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/Pugi.html

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    valemike@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I just downloaded AOL's browser today, and it flagged me about some
    > potential Spyware called "Searchit". I clicked the button to go ahead
    > and block it, and this caused my attempts at opening other browsers
    > (e.g. MSIE, Firefox) to cause CPU utilization to spike, and these
    > browsers never opened up.
    >
    > The only way to fix it was to backtrack and enable "searchit" again.
    >

    > Is "searchit" a true pest to have? I don't remember installing it.

    Well...the original post was not mine, but...
    AOL uses IE as their internal browser, they just strip the MS header off and
    use AOL controls.
    AOL also has it's own external browser, but I thought it was still in Beta.
    It looks/feels a lot like Netscrape 8.
    In AOL 9, there is a spyware scanner installed by default. It runs
    automatically.
    If it finds 'known spyware' it gives you the option to disable/remove it.

    --
    A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    > Is AOL your ISP? What exactly is "AOL's browser" and from where did you
    > download it? What flagged this potential Spyware called "Searchit"?
    >
    > eTrust Spyware Encyclopedia - Searchit:
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453072546
    >
    > McAfee Inc.:
    > http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/content/v_130931.htm
    >
    > doxdesk.com: database: Pugi:
    > http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/Pugi.html
    >
    > Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    > It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware.
    > **Post your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    > for expert analysis, not here.**
    >
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > valemike@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> I just downloaded AOL's browser today, and it flagged me about some
    >> potential Spyware called "Searchit". I clicked the button to go ahead
    >> and block it, and this caused my attempts at opening other browsers
    >> (e.g. MSIE, Firefox) to cause CPU utilization to spike, and these
    >> browsers never opened up.
    >>
    >> The only way to fix it was to backtrack and enable "searchit" again.
    >>

    >> Is "searchit" a true pest to have? I don't remember installing it.

    See this http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453072546 then
    download, install, update and run all of the following.

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    <valemike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I just downloaded AOL's browser today, and it flagged me about some
    > potential Spyware called "Searchit". I clicked the button to go ahead
    > and block it, and this caused my attempts at opening other browsers
    > (e.g. MSIE, Firefox) to cause CPU utilization to spike, and these
    > browsers never opened up.
    >
    > The only way to fix it was to backtrack and enable "searchit" again.
    >

    > Is "searchit" a true pest to have? I don't remember installing it.

    > AOL uses IE as their internal browser, they just strip the MS header off
    > and use AOL controls.

    Kinda/sorta, but you only get that browser when you install the regular &
    full AOL software package (which is why I asked OP...).

    > AOL also has it's own external browser, but I thought it was still in
    > Beta. It looks/feels a lot like Netscrape 8.
    > In AOL 9, there is a spyware scanner installed by default. It runs
    > automatically.

    Yes, but does this free-standing "AOL browser"-cum-Netscape 8 (I'd never use
    it) include the anti-spyware stuff? (I'd doubt it.)
    --
    ~PA Bear

    NotMe wrote:
    > Well...the original post was not mine, but...
    > AOL uses IE as their internal browser, they just strip the MS header off
    > and use AOL controls.
    > AOL also has it's own external browser, but I thought it was still in
    > Beta. It looks/feels a lot like Netscrape 8.
    > In AOL 9, there is a spyware scanner installed by default. It runs
    > automatically.
    > If it finds 'known spyware' it gives you the option to disable/remove it.
    >
    > > Is AOL your ISP? What exactly is "AOL's browser" and from where did you
    > > download it? What flagged this potential Spyware called "Searchit"?
    > >
    > > eTrust Spyware Encyclopedia - Searchit:
    > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453072546
    > >
    > > McAfee Inc.:
    > > http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/content/v_130931.htm
    > >
    > > doxdesk.com: database: Pugi:
    > > http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/Pugi.html
    > >
    > > Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    > > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    > > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    > > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
    > > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
    > > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
    > >
    > > When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    > > (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to
    > > use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
    > > hijackware/spyware. **Post your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    > > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
    > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    > >
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    > >
    > > valemike@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > > I just downloaded AOL's browser today, and it flagged me about some
    > > > potential Spyware called "Searchit". I clicked the button to go ahead
    > > > and block it, and this caused my attempts at opening other browsers
    > > > (e.g. MSIE, Firefox) to cause CPU utilization to spike, and these
    > > > browsers never opened up.
    > > >
    > > > The only way to fix it was to backtrack and enable "searchit" again.
    > > >

    > > > Is "searchit" a true pest to have? I don't remember installing it.

    AOL isn't my only ISP. Actually i use DSL for the actual connection,
    but only kept AOL around because of my long-time email accounts.

    The browser can execute w/o having the AOL package running, but i'm not
    sure if it was freely available to the general public for download.

    According to Mcafee, it appears to be a benign adware that gets
    installed ("with your consent") with other bundled software.

    THis beta AOL browser comes with a simple Spyware searcher. Only after
    installing this did i find out that Searchit is a potential spyware,
    since Mcafee never flagged me. In fact, Microsoft's beta anti-spyware
    download does not flag me about it either.

    So if i have Internet Explorer running, and i then start the spyware
    searcher from the AOL Beta Browser toolbar, it flags me about Searchit.
    I hit 'yes' to block Searchit, and it then zaps the Internet Explorer
    browser to disappear. Later on, when I try running Internet Explorer by
    double-clicking on it, it never opens up. I double click on it again,
    and it finally opens. Now when I look at my running processes
    (ctrl-alt-del), i see more than one instance of "iexplore.exe" running.

    It seems that AOL's anti-spyware inhibits the first instance of
    iexplore.exe, but allows other instances to run if they're lucky. So
    before i know it, i have several instances of iexplore.exe taking up
    memory!

    I can get around it by not using Internet Explorer altogether, but this
    is just plain annoying. Makes me want to re-install the factory
    contents of my laptop all over again!

    Yeah, this beta AOL browser installs the trigger-happy spyware package,
    as a button on the toolbar.

    Mike

    OIC, AOL "Bring Your Own Access."

    Anyway, I'd say the real troublemaker is the AOL-bundled antispyware app,
    Mike. Tell us, if the AOL Browser isn't loaded, does IE work or has the
    antispyware thing totally killed IE now?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    PA Bear wrote:
    > OIC, AOL "Bring Your Own Access."
    >
    > Anyway, I'd say the real troublemaker is the AOL-bundled antispyware app,
    > Mike. Tell us, if the AOL Browser isn't loaded, does IE work or has the
    > antispyware thing totally killed IE now?
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

    I'm trying to recall since i don't have my affected laptop with me
    right now. But this is what i remember yesterday:

    Yes, starting IE works just fine when the AOL standalone beta browser
    isn't loaded. So i have an IE instance running, and then i later open
    an AOL browser. The bundled-in AOL spyware then flags me that it found
    Searchit, and asks if i want to block it. So when I say yes, it blocks
    me, and kills the MSIE instance altogether, and it disappears. Later
    double-clicks on the IE icon then cause iexplore.exe to launch, but it
    gets stuck. Thus the IE browser never launches. I can double-click on
    it a few more times, and my CPU utilization goes up more and more. Like
    i said, i can eventually get IE to launch the browser again, but by
    now, everything is sluggish, and I have to kill all IE instances.

    Now if i have a freshly booted machine, and i launch the AOL browser,
    then since there is yet no IE instance running, then i don't get any
    alerts of Searchit being present.

    There is an option though in the aol antispyware to allow things like
    Searchit, Gator, etc. to continue to run. If i allow Searchit to run,
    then IE has no problems running later.

    I wonder if Searchit is truly loaded in my machine, or perhaps the AOL
    antispyware is sounding a false alarm and being more of a pest if
    anything.

    valemike@yahoo.com writes:
    >I wonder if Searchit is truly loaded in my machine, or perhaps the AOL
    >antispyware is sounding a false alarm and being more of a pest if
    >anything.

    I have one user who tried AOL antispyware a few weeks ago. It promptly
    flagged Advanced Keylogger and TV Media spyware running. I siezed the
    machine and spent all afternoon trying to verify this. None of half a
    dozen different tools could independently confirm this.

    Then it turned out that the AOL update to their antispyware about the
    middle of last month started telling LOTS of people they have Advanced
    Keylogger and none of the people who tried to verify this could find it.

    AOL then told me to wait a few days and see if it went away. As of
    yesterday the problem was still there, and it claimed to have found
    a third spyware program, all still cannot be confirmed by AdAware,
    Microsoft, Norton, Sysclean, Search and Destroy and manual directions
    to locate and remove... so I'm guessing they aren't there. My mail
    to aol was not polite.

    valemike@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I just downloaded AOL's browser today, and it flagged me about some

    Got a deathwish?

    > potential Spyware called "Searchit". I clicked the button to go ahead
    > and block it, and this caused my attempts at opening other browsers
    > (e.g. MSIE, Firefox) to cause CPU utilization to spike, and these
    > browsers never opened up.
    >
    > The only way to fix it was to backtrack and enable "searchit" again.
    >
    > Is "searchit" a true pest to have? I don't remember installing it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Don't block it, get rid of it. Yes, it's a 'targeted advertising' toolbar
    search object. You can learn more at

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > valemike@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >> I just downloaded AOL's browser today, and it flagged me about some
    >
    > Got a deathwish?
    >
    >> potential Spyware called "Searchit". I clicked the button to go ahead
    >> and block it, and this caused my attempts at opening other browsers
    >> (e.g. MSIE, Firefox) to cause CPU utilization to spike, and these
    >> browsers never opened up.
    >>
    >> The only way to fix it was to backtrack and enable "searchit" again.
    >>
    >> Is "searchit" a true pest to have? I don't remember installing it.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    See my first post in this thread. If the usual & reliable anti-malware
    tools (including HijackThis log interpretation by an expert) don't find
    Searchit, well..., now you know what to do with that AOL browser *and* it's
    anti-spyware feature.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    valemike@yahoo.com wrote:
    > PA Bear wrote:
    > > OIC, AOL "Bring Your Own Access."
    > >
    > > Anyway, I'd say the real troublemaker is the AOL-bundled antispyware
    > > app, Mike. Tell us, if the AOL Browser isn't loaded, does IE work or
    > > has the antispyware thing totally killed IE now?
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    > >

    > I'm trying to recall since i don't have my affected laptop with me
    > right now. But this is what i remember yesterday:
    >
    > Yes, starting IE works just fine when the AOL standalone beta browser
    > isn't loaded. So i have an IE instance running, and then i later open
    > an AOL browser. The bundled-in AOL spyware then flags me that it found
    > Searchit, and asks if i want to block it. So when I say yes, it blocks
    > me, and kills the MSIE instance altogether, and it disappears. Later
    > double-clicks on the IE icon then cause iexplore.exe to launch, but it
    > gets stuck. Thus the IE browser never launches. I can double-click on
    > it a few more times, and my CPU utilization goes up more and more. Like
    > i said, i can eventually get IE to launch the browser again, but by
    > now, everything is sluggish, and I have to kill all IE instances.
    >
    > Now if i have a freshly booted machine, and i launch the AOL browser,
    > then since there is yet no IE instance running, then i don't get any
    > alerts of Searchit being present.
    >
    > There is an option though in the aol antispyware to allow things like
    > Searchit, Gator, etc. to continue to run. If i allow Searchit to run,
    > then IE has no problems running later.
    >
    > I wonder if Searchit is truly loaded in my machine, or perhaps the AOL
    > antispyware is sounding a false alarm and being more of a pest if
    > anything.

AOL Firefox Browsers Windows XP