CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. I HAVE A VALID COPY OF WINDOWS XP PRO. WHEN I GO TO
WINDOWS UPDATES IT VALIDATES THEN I RECEIVE A MESSAGE THAT YOU HAVE AN
INVALID PRODUCT ID. I READ IN A NEWS GROUP THAT IT WAS A BUG. I RECEIVED THIS
QUOTE FROM A NEWGROUP POSTING. The result of a bug in WinXP SP2's code that
creates the PID for display. WGA extracts the correct PID. The one displayed
in System Properties General tab will have the OEM-00 issue because of the
bug.

Wade,
Open Internet Explorer, go to internet options,programs,manage add-ons and
disable Windows Genuine Advantage, close explorer and then you will be able
to use Windows Update. The same thing happened to me and I got the run around
from Microsoft Support.

"Wade" wrote:

> CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. I HAVE A VALID COPY OF WINDOWS XP PRO. WHEN I GO TO
> WINDOWS UPDATES IT VALIDATES THEN I RECEIVE A MESSAGE THAT YOU HAVE AN
> INVALID PRODUCT ID. I READ IN A NEWS GROUP THAT IT WAS A BUG. I RECEIVED THIS
> QUOTE FROM A NEWGROUP POSTING. The result of a bug in WinXP SP2's code that
> creates the PID for display. WGA extracts the correct PID. The one displayed
> in System Properties General tab will have the OEM-00 issue because of the
> bug.

You may post to the following specific newsgroup:-
Welcome to Windows Genuine Advantage
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=WGA&sLCID=us

Genuine Windows FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx