upgrading from win2k pro

I've been running win2k pro under an xp pro license for
a while. I would like to upgrade now to xp but when I
start the install, it tells me that it can't upgrade and then
prompts me for a new install.

Is there anyway to avoid this in order to preserve my
OE mail/newsgroups as well as having to reinstall all
of my applications?

Actually, if it would just detect my setup stuff (network
etc.) and import my mail from OE I could probably
deal with that.
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrading win2k

    You can't upgrade using an OEM XP Pro CD. Clean install is all you get
    with an OEM license.

    In news:eYEN0zqnFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Duane Hebert <spoo@flarn2.com> typed:

    > I've been running win2k pro under an xp pro license for
    > a while. I would like to upgrade now to xp but when I
    > start the install, it tells me that it can't upgrade and then
    > prompts me for a new install.

    Are you trying to upgrade to XP Home? Sorry, that's not a
    supported upgrade path.

    > Is there anyway to avoid this in order to preserve my
    > OE mail/newsgroups as well as having to reinstall all
    > of my applications?

    Only by using XP Professional instead of XP Home.

    > Actually, if it would just detect my setup stuff (network
    > etc.) and import my mail from OE I could probably
    > deal with that.

    Then why not just backup the mail to a CD, do a clean
    installation, then restore the mail from the CD?

    Read here:
    http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/

    http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard from the XP CD.
    As to upgrading, only an XP Professional disk will work for
    Windows 2000. From your description, it sounds like you
    are using a Home disk.

    "Duane Hebert" <spoo@flarn2.com> wrote in message
    > I've been running win2k pro under an xp pro license for
    > a while. I would like to upgrade now to xp but when I
    > start the install, it tells me that it can't upgrade and then
    > prompts me for a new install.
    >
    > Is there anyway to avoid this in order to preserve my
    > OE mail/newsgroups as well as having to reinstall all
    > of my applications?
    >
    > Actually, if it would just detect my setup stuff (network
    > etc.) and import my mail from OE I could probably
    > deal with that.

    You were only allowed to downgrade to Win2K Pro on an OEM XP Pro license.
    OEM versions do not do upgrades.

    "Duane Hebert" <spoo@flarn2.com> wrote in message
    > I've been running win2k pro under an xp pro license for
    > a while. I would like to upgrade now to xp but when I
    > start the install, it tells me that it can't upgrade and then
    > prompts me for a new install.
    >
    > Is there anyway to avoid this in order to preserve my
    > OE mail/newsgroups as well as having to reinstall all
    > of my applications?
    >
    > Actually, if it would just detect my setup stuff (network
    > etc.) and import my mail from OE I could probably
    > deal with that.

    Yves Leclerc.....I love your name, it just rolls off your tongue!

    "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:enlds3qnFHA.3408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > You can't upgrade using an OEM XP Pro CD. Clean install is all you get
    > with an OEM license.

    Thanks.

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:eQ12z4qnFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard from the XP CD.
    > As to upgrading, only an XP Professional disk will work for
    > Windows 2000. From your description, it sounds like you
    > are using a Home disk.

    No it's XP Pro but an OEM version.

    "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:OQfeYBrnFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > In news:eYEN0zqnFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,

    > Are you trying to upgrade to XP Home? Sorry, that's not a
    > supported upgrade path.

    No. It's XP Pro but it's an OEM version. Apparently from
    other posts, this won't do the upgrade.

    > Then why not just backup the mail to a CD, do a clean
    > installation, then restore the mail from the CD?
    >
    > Read here:
    > http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/
    >

    > http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

    Thanks. I'll check these links.

    In news:u4kD1utnFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Duane Hebert <spoo@flarn2.com> typed:

    >> In news:eYEN0zqnFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >
    >> Are you trying to upgrade to XP Home? Sorry, that's not a
    >> supported upgrade path.
    >
    > No. It's XP Pro but it's an OEM version. Apparently from
    > other posts, this won't do the upgrade.

    Correct. Whether Professional or Home, OEM CDs can't do upgrades.

    >> Then why not just backup the mail to a CD, do a clean
    >> installation, then restore the mail from the CD?
    >>
    >> Read here:
    >> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/
    >>

    >> http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx
    >>

    >> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
    >
    > Thanks. I'll check these links.

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > >> Read here:
    > >> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/

    This link seems outdated. I download and try to install
    but I get errors that some of my files are out of date
    and it wants to install older versions of MSVC dlls
    (I have MSVC8 beta 2 installed)

    At any rate, following the other links, it doesn't
    seem that difficult to do manually.

    It's a shame that MS has added some way of
    saving/restoring mail in one shot yet though
    like exporting to an XML file or something.
    Mozilla is much easier in this respect and
    it also has a mail monitor to indicate new
    mail.

    Thanks again.

Microsoft Windows XP