How to access the Administrator account?

August 11, 2005 7:20:30 PM

Friends,

I loaded Windows XP Pro onto 3 PCs and created an account for each PC named
'User' (current member of the 'Administrators' group).

My problem is when I log off 'User' and attempt to switch to a different
user, I am only presented with 'User' but not the 'Administrator' account
(which is what I'd really like to log into).

My objective is to remove 'User' from the administrators group, and manage
the PC using the 'Administrator' account but I cannot do anything since I
cannot log into the 'Administrator' account.

Can someone please advise? Thank you.
August 11, 2005 7:20:31 PM

If 'User' is a member of the Administrators group then you should be able to
log in and see if you have an 'administrator' account setup and be able to
reset the password if needed. Otherwise the administrator password should be
blank.

"Alex" wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I loaded Windows XP Pro onto 3 PCs and created an account for each PC named
> 'User' (current member of the 'Administrators' group).
>
> My problem is when I log off 'User' and attempt to switch to a different
> user, I am only presented with 'User' but not the 'Administrator' account
> (which is what I'd really like to log into).
>
> My objective is to remove 'User' from the administrators group, and manage
> the PC using the 'Administrator' account but I cannot do anything since I
> cannot log into the 'Administrator' account.
>
> Can someone please advise? Thank you.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:23:01 PM

In XP the administrator account is hidden on purpose since it should not be
used for normal computer use.

On the welcome screen hit Ctrl>Alt>Del two times and the old style logon box
will come up. Or you can just disable the welcome screen so the "old
fashioned" logon comes up all the time.

Or you can use this reg hack:
http://www.petri.co.il/add_the_administrator's_account_to_the_welcome_screen_in_xp_pro.htm
Related resources
August 11, 2005 8:08:55 PM

I'd also like to add that there is an 'Administrator' account present and if
it makes a difference, I have autologon set to the 'User' account when the
PC boots.

Thank you
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:54:39 PM

Alex wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I loaded Windows XP Pro onto 3 PCs and created an account for each PC named
> 'User' (current member of the 'Administrators' group).
>
> My problem is when I log off 'User' and attempt to switch to a different
> user, I am only presented with 'User' but not the 'Administrator' account
> (which is what I'd really like to log into).
>
> My objective is to remove 'User' from the administrators group, and manage
> the PC using the 'Administrator' account but I cannot do anything since I
> cannot log into the 'Administrator' account.
>
> Can someone please advise? Thank you.

As you've learned, once any additional user accounts have been
created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on the
Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design, the
only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
August 12, 2005 1:31:55 AM

Alex wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I loaded Windows XP Pro onto 3 PCs and created an account for each PC named
> 'User' (current member of the 'Administrators' group).
>
> My problem is when I log off 'User' and attempt to switch to a different
> user, I am only presented with 'User' but not the 'Administrator' account
> (which is what I'd really like to log into).
>
> My objective is to remove 'User' from the administrators group, and manage
> the PC using the 'Administrator' account but I cannot do anything since I
> cannot log into the 'Administrator' account.
>
> Can someone please advise? Thank you.

In addition to what Bruce said you should not use the built in
Administrator account for routine activities. Keep it in reserve in
case something goes wrong with the working account that has admin
privileges.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User