Sign in with
Your question

What 27 inchers have the best viewing angles?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 20, 2010 11:41:23 AM

Hi all,

I have a LG W2753V. Nice... But, when viewing it from the bottom (Looking up at the screen) it's just really dark... Bummer.. Oh yeah I also get a thin vertical red line that comes and goes....

I hoping to get some feedback from people that have different brands of 27's that look good viewing from the bottom ( in a normal horizontal position).

I wanna get my 5850 up into Eyefinity in portrait mode. I tried my single 27 in portrait and it was just too dark looking at it from the left side... I've been thinking bout picken up 3 27 acers (B273HBMZIDH). But, don't wanna make the jump and have the right side monitor be to dark to enjoy...

Any info much appreciated! Thanks!

More about : inchers viewing angles

January 20, 2010 5:06:54 PM

I believe all 27" LCD monitor use TN panels which will have similar issue as what you have described.
January 20, 2010 10:16:25 PM

The Dell Ultrasharp 2709 appears to use a VA or IPS panel (178/178 viewing angle). Aside from that, all 27s that I can find though are TN, which has the issue you describe.
Related resources
January 21, 2010 11:38:52 AM

Hey guys txs for the info.... I may try and just put the right side monitor upside down in portrait mode and see if that ' ll work....

Any 27 inch owners out there?...

And jaguarskx. U like Slayer? I saw them back in the day at the Olympic Aud. in L.A. somewhere in the late 80's with D.R.I. and some other bands. Man, that was the craziest show I've ever been to. Saw at least 5 dudes flying off the 20 ft or so PA. Long hairs and skins going at it, and a bunch of ambulances outside. Blood everywhere! Had class the next day but couldn't hear the teacher... my ears were ringing for bout 3 days!
January 21, 2010 2:31:22 PM

Yeah, the Dell 2709 seems to be the only 27" monitor that uses a non-TN panel. In fact, it uses a S-PVA panel.

Yeah, I still listen to Slayer. They are the only metal band from the 80's that I still listen to and own all thier album. Unfortunately, most of my friends back then (and now) didn't listen to metal. The ones who did stopped. Oh well...
January 21, 2010 8:56:56 PM

I also have a Dell 2709W. It is a beautiful monitor, using PVA. It has amazing viewing angles, great picture quality, and was expensive, but just affordable enough for me at the time. I bought it last year for around $900 after a coupon, shipping, tax.

However, now I'm trying to figure out how to add 2 more displays to this to run a 3-monitor setup with my 5970 and Eyefinity.

I have a cheap 24" Sceptre Naga x24 (TN display) I used in an Eyefinity group, and absolutely noticed the following:

* 2709 was much brighter, richer color, and great an almost any angle, but had visible input lag when spanned across the Sceptre.

* Sceptre was darker, colors were more washed out, and viewing angle was horrible - I had to line it up perfectly. But wow was it fast. And really, as long as I didn't jerk my body around, the viewing angle wasn't a big issue.

Here is my temporary setup: http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8910/img6819d.jpg

I read that the 2709 had a little input lag before I bought it, but never noticed it like this. However, it really isn't *that* distracting, unless I'm violently shaking my camera in a game, or wiggling a window spanned across them up and down, it really doesn't matter. But it is still there.

Now, on the Eyefinity front, I am trying to convince myself that I don't need 2 more of these for a 3-monitor setup - I simply went way over budget after buying my new system, so the wife is not liking my options. I have also come to the conclusion that once your eyes cross the bezel, the slight size difference doesn't matter. Your brain adjusts, and it is "good enough", as you can see from the picture above.

So I honestly believe I can go with either 24" or 25.5" monitors for my sides, and keep this 2709 for the middle. The problem is that the only affordable displays in the $2-300 range are all TN. I briefly considered getting a large 28" or so TN display for my mid screen, and using this 2709 on a side, and perhaps something else similar for the other side later in the future, as I'd have to use the 24" Sceptre for a few months for financial reasons. The viewing angle on the 2709 would be just fine for side monitor.

Unfortunately the Hanns·G HG-281DPB shows unavailable from NewEgg, selecting "similar" takes me to Hanns·G HH-281HPB (which *is* out of stock). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know there are other places to get monitors, but this 6x customer award winner seems to be disappearing. Also, while this might work, is a bit over my price range for what I'm trying to sneak by the wife. And, I'd honestly rather use the best quality monitor for my center screen, since that is what I'll mostly be staring at. The side monitors are great for immersion, but I'd spend most of my time on the center one I would think.

I am leaning toward using TN smaller displays for the sides, and these are what I'm considering:

ASUS VW266H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAMSUNG TOC T260HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I suppose the right thing to do would be to get Dell 2408W (matching input lag?) PVA panels, or maybe U2410 IPS panels (way more expensive, so I'd have to wait completely) for side monitors, but I still think it is overkill, and I'd still have slight input lag. I play games 95% of my use, so I'm just looking for "good enough" 3-monitor setup, that I can slowly upgrade in the future (re-purpose TN displays as TVs in the house).

Last option could be selling this 2709 (for what, $4-500?) and starting from scratch. Unlikely though.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Damn your laws, Moore!
January 21, 2010 8:59:45 PM

Also, I found this site that lets you compare monitors (and other devices), and has a section for monitors on viewing angles and also one on input lag vs a CRT. The Dell 2709 was revised with the new rev Dell released, but the input lag is still an issue. Unfortunately the newer models I'm looking for that I listed are not on this list.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=...
January 21, 2010 9:01:44 PM

One more thing, I'm only looking at 1920x1200 monitors, as this is the 2709's native display.
January 26, 2010 11:40:16 AM

ogreinside said:
One more thing, I'm only looking at 1920x1200 monitors, as this is the 2709's native display.

If you got the dough get two more of the same. So many choices out there its hard to make a decision... i know... But whats a few hundred more for some eyecandy - relaxing - stress relieving fun!

BTW (saw your setup pic) who's got more toys baby or daddy? ;) 
January 30, 2010 7:13:13 PM

fmf said:
If you got the dough get two more of the same. So many choices out there its hard to make a decision... i know... But whats a few hundred more for some eyecandy - relaxing - stress relieving fun!

Very true, it's the extra dough that's a problem right now :) 

I'm happy to report that I worked on the wife, and we agreed on the $329 for the Samsung T260HD. Part of my argument is that whatever happens, it will just be turned into a regular TV for my daughters. Hopefully when the Dell U2711 comes out the 2709 drops in price, I can pickup 2 more. I only see a couple on cragslist nationwide, and honestly I'd rather buy it new and get the Dell warranty.

Side-by-side, the 2709 is so superior. Now, with all 3 monitors going, there is NO INPUT LAG. I don't know if it is because I moved it over to the mini-DisplayPort, or because all 3 are now powered - but even violently shaking the camera in games, all 3 monitors are the same speed!

On the viewing angle front, you can surely notice the TN displays darken when you move around. Make no mistake, PVA or IPS displays are superior there. But I knew I was being cheap, and just wanted to get the experience in. I also generally stay in the same place, so as long as they are positioned right, it is a non-issue. I'm not dancing around or jumping when I play. Even games like WoW I put small text chat boxes on the TN displays and they looked fine.

If you have the money or want to do portrait, definitely skip any TN display for a proper setup. But if at all possible, try out Eyefinity, and TN are great for a cheap experience. In the very least, you still get your normal resolution on the center monitor, the sides are just a bonus. No matter how big a single display is, you still get limited by the game UI elements. Eyefinity lets you have a clean center if you want, and move the UI items to the sides where they belong.

I will never go back.

Here are some screenshots:

WoW:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/769/vineyefinitythec...

Daughter playing Burnout Paradise:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Jqhc44bBcZQ/S2SWXVmBEFI/AAAAAAAAB...

I ended up using Carbonite in WoW so I could have a single map open at all times and put it on one of the side displays. You can resize it to whatever you want, and works as both a minimap and regular map.

Some games I can't get to work yet like C&C: RA3 (though it is in the Eyefinity tested list).

Street Fighter IV doesn't look right, it is sort of zoomed in to only their upper bodies. It needs portrait setup or 4/6 displays to look right.

fmf said:

BTW (saw your setup pic) who's got more toys baby or daddy? ;) 

They have more, mine are just more expensive :) 
February 1, 2010 3:10:31 AM

How is the color on that T260? I was thinking of trying a Samsung 2770HD, or if I'm patient, the 2770H which has 70:000 contrast but I don't think its available in the US yet. Its seen on the Samsung website though.. I am waiting to check it out.

I tried the Asus VW266H and the picture was horrible :( 
Maybe I got a lemon, but whites and darks where so washed out I couldn't see stuff in shadows/fog in my shooter games ;/
!