Dec 20, 2002
here are the specs for my barton 2500 overclocked to 185 X 11 1.65 vcore :

Asus probe
Idle - 47 C
Load - 51 C

Bios
Idle - 33 / 34 C
Load - 37 C

I have concerns as to what utility should I trust?? The differences in temperatures are so drastic.... I use swiftech watercooling if it helps... Do my temps seem high at all? Am i doing something wrong? Please, if anyone has any input on which utility i should quote when someone asks for me temps, please tell me.
Also - what are the dangers to adding more voltage to your chip? will my temps go up? Will it shorten the life of my processor? Will it harm my other components?

I have been trying to overclock this cpu to a decent outcome without modifying the vcore much... I have seen reports of people getting really good overclocks with their barton 2500... how come i can only get a tiny tiny bit out of it? If anyone here has a 2500 and overclocks it, please post your overclock stats and vcore and fsb so i can compare. Even if you just have a stock barton 2500, please post your stats, ill drop my fsb down and see if it is comparable.

Thanks, Rob

<b>The pentium 2 I once adored is dead! Long live my barton savagely ripping 1306 fps in soldier of fortune!!! :)</b>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Barton 2500+ @ 185x12.5 @ 1.8V.

You need to up the voltage to be able to power the higher clock frequencies. You gotta give the power to get the speed.

My temps that I get are quoted from a Thermaltake Hardcano 3 with the thermistor underneath my CPU. It's about 46-48 celsius depending on ambient temperature, which is just fine.

With higher voltages, there is a problem with electron migration which can shorten the lifespan of your CPU to about three years or so (which is no problem if you upgrade regularely). Don't go higher than 2.0. 1.9 is my recommended limit.

The reason you only get a tiny tiny bit out is that you're vcore isn't high enough.

I don't know what my stock stats are because I haven't run my processor at stock at all. I overlocked it as soon as I dropped it in.

I might be getting lower temps than you however. I have five case fans, two PS fans, and a Thermaltake Smartfan II hooked up to a Thermalright SLK-800 heatsink. Your water cooling, unless you really crank it, is about the same, if not a bit warmer than my current configuration.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2241Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have concerns as to what utility should I trust??
Asus Probe is notorious for being innacurate. (I think if you just searched for 'Asus Probe' in here, you'd see like 50 or so messages saying that. Heh heh.

There's a software called 'Motherboard Monitor' ... I think that's the name anyway. It's probably more accurate than Asus's software. And anywho BIOS is generally the ultimate authority on these things.

I use swiftech watercooling if it helps
I've yet to hear that the swiftech watercooling is actually worth its price. It seems as though good air cooling solution usually does better from what I've heard.

Do my temps seem high at all?
Not really. Not yet. If it's stable it doesn't really matter all too much what the temperature is. That is unless you need the PC to last ten years.

Am i doing something wrong?
That's hard to say. It could be the motherboard or the power supply that is holding you back with your FSB so high. Try keeping the FSB at stock and see how far you can push the multiplier to see if you get anything different. Either way you will probably need to up the vcore a bit to push any further.

what are the dangers to adding more voltage to your chip?
That you'll kill your chip, either quickly or slowly.

will my temps go up?
Yep. More electricity means more heat. That's why OCing needs good cooling.

Will it shorten the life of my processor?
Quite possibly. It depends on how far you push it and how lucky you are at getting a completely flawless processor are. But generally, yes, OCing will shorten the life of the processor. The higher you push the vcore past stock, the more it shortens the lifespan, more or less. Of course good and bad luck are also important factors.

Will it harm my other components?
Only if you used plastique as a thermal interface material.

I have seen reports of people getting really good overclocks with their barton 2500... how come i can only get a tiny tiny bit out of it?
A big suspect is that you're not pressing your vcore. Another possability is the lack of extreme cooling. A third possability is the use of the Asus nForce mobo. It seems that some are great and some aren't as good. A fourth possability is simply that overclocking isn't a guarantee. It's a matter of probability, and as such there is always a percentage that gets nowhere.

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
thank you very much for your replies.

:)

<b>The pentium 2 I once adored is dead! Long live my barton savagely ripping 1306 fps in soldier of fortune!!! :)</b>

TRENDING THREADS