MS Works came pre-installed on my computer. The problem is, whenever I send
an email with attachment that generated from MS Works, the recipient cannot
read the file as it is in code, and cannot be opened. My computer is by
Compaq and is Windows XP edition., but the warranty has expired, so Compaq is
of no help. Anyone have the answer,,,,Please?????
--
Thank you very much.

Is MS Outlook your default Mail Client and are you sending the message using
RTF format? Is the receipient using Outlook Express?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Femluc wrote:
> MS Works came pre-installed on my computer. The problem is, whenever I
> send an email with attachment that generated from MS Works, the recipient
> cannot read the file as it is in code, and cannot be opened. My
> computer is by Compaq and is Windows XP edition., but the warranty has
> expired, so Compaq is of no help. Anyone have the answer,,,,Please?????

MSN is default mail client, I think, as it is installed on my machine,
however, I do not use it. I just read someone else's similar problem and the
response, so I did change the attachment to RTF and sent an email, but I must
have done something wrong, as it came back still encoded. Don't understand
what I am doing wrong. Help???
--
Thank you very much.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Is MS Outlook your default Mail Client and are you sending the message using
> RTF format? Is the receipient using Outlook Express?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> Femluc wrote:
> > MS Works came pre-installed on my computer. The problem is, whenever I
> > send an email with attachment that generated from MS Works, the recipient
> > cannot read the file as it is in code, and cannot be opened. My
> > computer is by Compaq and is Windows XP edition., but the warranty has
> > expired, so Compaq is of no help. Anyone have the answer,,,,Please?????

So you created a new message using MSN Mail or at www.hotmail.com using your
name@msn.account and attached a Works file?

(I was *not* suggesting that you should create the Works file in RTF, only
if you were using an RTF formatted message, and then only if you were
creating the message in MS Outlook.)

> > > MS Works came pre-installed on my computer. The problem is, whenever
> > > I send an email with attachment that generated from MS Works, the
> > > recipient cannot read the file as it is in code, and cannot be
> > > opened

If you send such a message to yourself, (forget the RTF part) can you open
and read the file?
--
~PA Bear

"Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MS Works came pre-installed on my computer. The problem is, whenever I
> send
> an email with attachment that generated from MS Works, the recipient
> cannot
> read the file as it is in code, and cannot be opened. My computer is by
> Compaq and is Windows XP edition., but the warranty has expired, so Compaq
> is
> of no help. Anyone have the answer,,,,Please?????
> --
> Thank you very much

Do yourself a favor and buy Word or at the very least, the Works Suite that
includes Word. Otherwise it's just going to be a headache for you and the
people you send documents to, and some people aren't going to bother telling
you that they can't read the document or the formatting is all messed up,
they're just going to throw it out. Which is fine unless you're trying to
send out business documents or send a resume or something else that might be
more important to you than to them.

You can choose to save a Works document as a Word document, but it's easy to
forget to do so, and the formatting sometimes gets odd, or other things go
wrong at the receiving end.

Like it or not, Word is the default program. If you're going to need it for
anything but personal use, you might as well buy it and use it.

It has become something of a headache, and the only thing I use it for is
business, so I will either have to upgrade to something else like you
mentioned or use FAX, OR the old fashioned snailmail. I am curious though
about the OpenOffice download, and would that be any solution for my needs at
all?
--
Thank you very much.

Send me a test message pcbutts1@seedsv.com

"Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MS Works came pre-installed on my computer. The problem is, whenever I
> send
> an email with attachment that generated from MS Works, the recipient
> cannot
> read the file as it is in code, and cannot be opened. My computer is by
> Compaq and is Windows XP edition., but the warranty has expired, so Compaq
> is
> of no help. Anyone have the answer,,,,Please?????
> --
> Thank you very much.

Femluc: Unless you know and/or trust pcbutts1 (or anyone else here, for that
matter), only reply to the newsgroup!
--

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Send me a test message pcbutts1@seedsv.com
>

> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > MS Works came pre-installed on my computer. The problem is, whenever I
> > send
> > an email with attachment that generated from MS Works, the recipient
> > cannot
> > read the file as it is in code, and cannot be opened. My computer is
> > by Compaq and is Windows XP edition., but the warranty has expired, so
> > Compaq is
> > of no help. Anyone have the answer,,,,Please?????
> > --
> > Thank you very much.

PBear, I appreciate that and yes, I do know better than to send anything,
especially since a line under his comment was for "live web videos". Thanks
for the thought. And I am still having problems with the attachment. I
changed to RTF format, and saved it in my documents, but when I sent it, a
window popped up saying that no file existed. I don't know much about this
stuff as one can guess. Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks for your help and
the advice.
--

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Femluc: Unless you know and/or trust pcbutts1 (or anyone else here, for that
> matter), only reply to the newsgroup!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> pcbutts1 wrote:
> > Send me a test message pcbutts1@seedsv.com
> >

> > "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > MS Works came pre-installed on my computer. The problem is, whenever I
> > > send
> > > an email with attachment that generated from MS Works, the recipient
> > > cannot
> > > read the file as it is in code, and cannot be opened. My computer is
> > > by Compaq and is Windows XP edition., but the warranty has expired, so
> > > Compaq is
> > > of no help. Anyone have the answer,,,,Please?????
> > > --
> > > Thank you very much.

OH MY God! I asked you to create a test message and send it to me not your
private document. Why do you assume that "Live web video" is X rated? . I'm
Sorry but I don't help idiots. Fix your own problem.

> PBear, I appreciate that and yes, I do know better than to send anything,
> especially since a line under his comment was for "live web videos".
> Thanks
> for the thought. And I am still having problems with the attachment. I
> changed to RTF format, and saved it in my documents, but when I sent it, a
> window popped up saying that no file existed. I don't know much about
> this
> stuff as one can guess. Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks for your help
> and
> the advice.
> --
>

> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> Femluc: Unless you know and/or trust pcbutts1 (or anyone else here, for
>> that
>> matter), only reply to the newsgroup!
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>>
>> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> > Send me a test message pcbutts1@seedsv.com
>> >

>> > "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

pcbutts, I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff, so thanks much for your
candid reply,,,and my apology if necessary, however, I have 2 email addresses
and sent the document from one addy to another, and it still isn't right..so
thanks anyway.
--

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> OH MY God! I asked you to create a test message and send it to me not your
> private document. Why do you assume that "Live web video" is X rated? . I'm
> Sorry but I don't help idiots. Fix your own problem.

> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > PBear, I appreciate that and yes, I do know better than to send anything,
> > especially since a line under his comment was for "live web videos".
> > Thanks
> > for the thought. And I am still having problems with the attachment. I
> > changed to RTF format, and saved it in my documents, but when I sent it, a
> > window popped up saying that no file existed. I don't know much about
> > this
> > stuff as one can guess. Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks for your help
> > and
> > the advice.
> > --
> >

> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >
> >> Femluc: Unless you know and/or trust pcbutts1 (or anyone else here, for
> >> that
> >> matter), only reply to the newsgroup!
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

I can't see the problem on your system that is why I asked for an email so I
can see it for myself.

> pcbutts, I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff, so thanks much for
> your
> candid reply,,,and my apology if necessary, however, I have 2 email
> addresses
> and sent the document from one addy to another, and it still isn't
> right..so
> thanks anyway.
> --
>

> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> OH MY God! I asked you to create a test message and send it to me not
>> your
>> private document. Why do you assume that "Live web video" is X rated? .
>> I'm
>> Sorry but I don't help idiots. Fix your own problem.
>>
>> --

>> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > PBear, I appreciate that and yes, I do know better than to send
>> > anything,
>> > especially since a line under his comment was for "live web videos".
>> > Thanks
>> > for the thought. And I am still having problems with the attachment.
>> > changed to RTF format, and saved it in my documents, but when I sent
>> > it, a
>> > window popped up saying that no file existed. I don't know much about
>> > this
>> > stuff as one can guess. Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks for your help
>> > and
>> > the advice.
>> > --

Here is what I did. I opened the document in Works, clicked Save As, gave
the file a name, and saved it in my documents. On Save As Type, I clicked
RTF thinking that would work. Since last message, I emailed it to myself and
it did work, except that when I opened it, it was the Works page complete
with toolbar at the top and all. I just didn't think that it would be this
complicated. Is there a save as setting that is readable without sending the
works page? Anyone?
--
Thank you very much.

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> I can't see the problem on your system that is why I asked for an email so I
> can see it for myself.

> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > pcbutts, I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff, so thanks much for
> > your
> > candid reply,,,and my apology if necessary, however, I have 2 email
> > addresses
> > and sent the document from one addy to another, and it still isn't
> > right..so
> > thanks anyway.
> > --
> >

> > "pcbutts1" wrote:
> >
> >> OH MY God! I asked you to create a test message and send it to me not
> >> your
> >> private document. Why do you assume that "Live web video" is X rated? .
> >> I'm
> >> Sorry but I don't help idiots. Fix your own problem.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >>

> >> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ok save the document as word 6.0 (.doc) rtf will work also. The problem is
works saves the documents in its own format .wps anyone who does not have
works installed on their computer will not be able to open it. MS Word can
and will open works document but in most cases they have to tell Word to
open the document because it is not set to open works files by default. Your
system is set to open them which is why it opened when changed it to rtf. I
assume you do not have MS Office installed on your system? If you save it as
..doc then most people will be able to open it if they have MS Word.

> Here is what I did. I opened the document in Works, clicked Save As, gave
> the file a name, and saved it in my documents. On Save As Type, I clicked
> RTF thinking that would work. Since last message, I emailed it to myself
> and
> it did work, except that when I opened it, it was the Works page complete
> with toolbar at the top and all. I just didn't think that it would be
> this
> complicated. Is there a save as setting that is readable without sending
> the
> works page? Anyone?
> --
> Thank you very much.
>

> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> I can't see the problem on your system that is why I asked for an email
>> so I
>> can see it for myself.
>>
>> --

>> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > pcbutts, I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff, so thanks much for
>> > your
>> > candid reply,,,and my apology if necessary, however, I have 2 email
>> > addresses
>> > and sent the document from one addy to another, and it still isn't
>> > right..so
>> > thanks anyway.
>> > --

Ok, I don't have MS Office on my system, and the bad part of it is that the
document is a resume, and everyone has responded in the past by saying they
cannot open and to please send in word format. That is why I asked if there
was a simpler way to save the document so it can be read. So do I understand
correctly that if I change to a (.doc) rtf and they do not have Word that it
still cannot be opened? In any event, I will try that and I thank you for
your time and patience with my question.
--
Thank you very much.

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> Ok save the document as word 6.0 (.doc) rtf will work also. The problem is
> works saves the documents in its own format .wps anyone who does not have
> works installed on their computer will not be able to open it. MS Word can
> and will open works document but in most cases they have to tell Word to
> open the document because it is not set to open works files by default. Your
> system is set to open them which is why it opened when changed it to rtf. I
> assume you do not have MS Office installed on your system? If you save it as
> ..doc then most people will be able to open it if they have MS Word.

> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Here is what I did. I opened the document in Works, clicked Save As, gave
> > the file a name, and saved it in my documents. On Save As Type, I clicked
> > RTF thinking that would work. Since last message, I emailed it to myself
> > and
> > it did work, except that when I opened it, it was the Works page complete
> > with toolbar at the top and all. I just didn't think that it would be
> > this
> > complicated. Is there a save as setting that is readable without sending
> > the
> > works page? Anyone?
> > --
> > Thank you very much.
> >

> > "pcbutts1" wrote:
> >
> >> I can't see the problem on your system that is why I asked for an email
> >> so I
> >> can see it for myself.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >>

> >> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

..doc is a word format use that. RTF is rich text format, that can also be
opened in Word. Have you tried OpenOffice? it is free you can download it
from here http://www.openoffice.org/

> Ok, I don't have MS Office on my system, and the bad part of it is that
> the
> document is a resume, and everyone has responded in the past by saying
> they
> cannot open and to please send in word format. That is why I asked if
> there
> was a simpler way to save the document so it can be read. So do I
> understand
> correctly that if I change to a (.doc) rtf and they do not have Word that
> it
> still cannot be opened? In any event, I will try that and I thank you for
> your time and patience with my question.
> --
> Thank you very much.
>

> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> Ok save the document as word 6.0 (.doc) rtf will work also. The problem
>> is
>> works saves the documents in its own format .wps anyone who does not have
>> works installed on their computer will not be able to open it. MS Word
>> can
>> and will open works document but in most cases they have to tell Word to
>> open the document because it is not set to open works files by default.
>> Your
>> system is set to open them which is why it opened when changed it to rtf.
>> assume you do not have MS Office installed on your system? If you save it
>> as
>> ..doc then most people will be able to open it if they have MS Word.
>>
>> --

>> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Here is what I did. I opened the document in Works, clicked Save As,
>> > gave
>> > the file a name, and saved it in my documents. On Save As Type, I
>> > clicked
>> > RTF thinking that would work. Since last message, I emailed it to
>> > myself
>> > and
>> > it did work, except that when I opened it, it was the Works page
>> > complete
>> > with toolbar at the top and all. I just didn't think that it would be
>> > this
>> > complicated. Is there a save as setting that is readable without
>> > sending
>> > the
>> > works page? Anyone?
>> > --
>> > Thank you very much.

I haven't heard of OpenOffice. What is it exactly?
--
Thank you very much.

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> ..doc is a word format use that. RTF is rich text format, that can also be
> opened in Word. Have you tried OpenOffice? it is free you can download it
> from here http://www.openoffice.org/

> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, I don't have MS Office on my system, and the bad part of it is that
> > the
> > document is a resume, and everyone has responded in the past by saying
> > they
> > cannot open and to please send in word format. That is why I asked if
> > there
> > was a simpler way to save the document so it can be read. So do I
> > understand
> > correctly that if I change to a (.doc) rtf and they do not have Word that
> > it
> > still cannot be opened? In any event, I will try that and I thank you for
> > your time and patience with my question.
> > --
> > Thank you very much.
> >

> > "pcbutts1" wrote:
> >
> >> Ok save the document as word 6.0 (.doc) rtf will work also. The problem
> >> is
> >> works saves the documents in its own format .wps anyone who does not have
> >> works installed on their computer will not be able to open it. MS Word
> >> can
> >> and will open works document but in most cases they have to tell Word to
> >> open the document because it is not set to open works files by default.
> >> Your
> >> system is set to open them which is why it opened when changed it to rtf.
> >> assume you do not have MS Office installed on your system? If you save it
> >> as
> >> ..doc then most people will be able to open it if they have MS Word.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >>

> >> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

> It has become something of a headache, and the only thing I use it for is
> business, so I will either have to upgrade to something else like you
> mentioned or use FAX, OR the old fashioned snailmail. I am curious though
> about the OpenOffice download, and would that be any solution for my needs
> at
> all?
> --
> Thank you very much.

OpenOffice is very good and does almost everything that MS office does,
(Word/Excel etc).

But the main problem is that because it is slightly different from the way
MS does things it can be quite a learning curve.
If you are prepared to spend a few days learning then OO will do the job
just fine.

Simon

"Simon" <spambucket@example.com> wrote in message
>> It has become something of a headache, and the only thing I use it for is
>> business, so I will either have to upgrade to something else like you
>> mentioned or use FAX, OR the old fashioned snailmail. I am curious
>> though
>> about the OpenOffice download, and would that be any solution for my
>> needs at
>> all?
>> --
>> Thank you very much.
>>

> OpenOffice is very good and does almost everything that MS office does,
> (Word/Excel etc).
>
> But the main problem is that because it is slightly different from the way
> MS does things it can be quite a learning curve.
> If you are prepared to spend a few days learning then OO will do the job
> just fine.
>
> Simon

There will also be a learning curve moving to Word from Works. :)
--
Ron Sommer

Read Simon's post. Open Office is an alternative to MS Office and is very
good, much better than Works. I have MS Office but I use Open Office to open
corrupted word docs, works great for that, Go ahead and download it, your
Resumes will be much better.

> It has become something of a headache, and the only thing I use it for is
> business, so I will either have to upgrade to something else like you
> mentioned or use FAX, OR the old fashioned snailmail. I am curious though
> about the OpenOffice download, and would that be any solution for my needs
> at
> all?
> --
> Thank you very much.
>

> "D.Currie" wrote:
>

>> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > MS Works came pre-installed on my computer. The problem is, whenever I
>> > send
>> > an email with attachment that generated from MS Works, the recipient
>> > cannot
>> > read the file as it is in code, and cannot be opened. My computer is
>> > by
>> > Compaq and is Windows XP edition., but the warranty has expired, so
>> > Compaq
>> > is
>> > of no help. Anyone have the answer,,,,Please?????
>> > --
>> > Thank you very much
>>
>> Do yourself a favor and buy Word or at the very least, the Works Suite
>> that
>> includes Word. Otherwise it's just going to be a headache for you and the
>> people you send documents to, and some people aren't going to bother
>> telling
>> you that they can't read the document or the formatting is all messed up,
>> they're just going to throw it out. Which is fine unless you're trying to
>> send out business documents or send a resume or something else that might
>> be
>> more important to you than to them.
>>
>> You can choose to save a Works document as a Word document, but it's easy
>> forget to do so, and the formatting sometimes gets odd, or other things
>> go
>> wrong at the receiving end.
>>
>> Like it or not, Word is the default program. If you're going to need it
>> for
>> anything but personal use, you might as well buy it and use it.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help, and hopefully I can get this
stuff all sorted out.
--
Thank you very much.

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> Read Simon's post. Open Office is an alternative to MS Office and is very
> good, much better than Works. I have MS Office but I use Open Office to open
> corrupted word docs, works great for that, Go ahead and download it, your
> Resumes will be much better.

> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It has become something of a headache, and the only thing I use it for is
> > business, so I will either have to upgrade to something else like you
> > mentioned or use FAX, OR the old fashioned snailmail. I am curious though
> > about the OpenOffice download, and would that be any solution for my needs
> > at
> > all?
> > --
> > Thank you very much.
> >

> > "D.Currie" wrote:
> >

> >> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Do yourself a favor and buy Word or at the very least, the Works Suite
> >> that
> >> includes Word. Otherwise it's just going to be a headache for you and the
> >> people you send documents to, and some people aren't going to bother
> >> telling
> >> you that they can't read the document or the formatting is all messed up,
> >> they're just going to throw it out. Which is fine unless you're trying to
> >> send out business documents or send a resume or something else that might
> >> be
> >> more important to you than to them.
> >>
> >> You can choose to save a Works document as a Word document, but it's easy
> >> forget to do so, and the formatting sometimes gets odd, or other things
> >> go
> >> wrong at the receiving end.
> >>
> >> Like it or not, Word is the default program. If you're going to need it
> >> for
> >> anything but personal use, you might as well buy it and use it.

It sounds like your recipients are using MS Office/Word 2002 (XP) or earlier
and need to use:

Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9e11e83-f51b-4977-b572-8c042df802c1&displaylang=en

NB: *You* don't need it:

<QP>
The Works 6.0 Converter converts word processor documents created in
Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word and other versions of Works.
Specifically, this converter works with Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x, and Word
2002, 2000, and 97 on machines running Microsoft Windows® 98, 2000
Professional, Millennium Edition, and XP.

You do not need the Works 6.0 Converter if you already have Works 6.0
installed on your machine.
</QP>
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Femluc wrote:
> Ok, I don't have MS Office on my system, and the bad part of it is that
> the document is a resume, and everyone has responded in the past by
> saying they cannot open and to please send in word format. That is why I
> asked if there was a simpler way to save the document so it can be read.
> So do I understand correctly that if I change to a (.doc) rtf and they do
> not have Word that it still cannot be opened? In any event, I will try
> that and I thank you for your time and patience with my question.
>
> > Ok save the document as word 6.0 (.doc) rtf will work also. The problem
> > is works saves the documents in its own format .wps anyone who does not
> > have works installed on their computer will not be able to open it. MS
> > Word can and will open works document but in most cases they have to
> > tell Word to open the document because it is not set to open works
> > files by default. Your system is set to open them which is why it
> > opened when changed it to rtf. I assume you do not have MS Office
> > installed on your system? If you save it as ..doc then most people will
> > be able to open it if they have MS Word.
> >
> > --
> >

> > The best live web video on the internet
> > http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now
> > sell DVR cards.
> > See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> > Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >

> > "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Here is what I did. I opened the document in Works, clicked Save As,
> > > gave the file a name, and saved it in my documents. On Save As Type,
> > > I clicked RTF thinking that would work. Since last message, I
> > > emailed it to myself and
> > > it did work, except that when I opened it, it was the Works page
> > > complete with toolbar at the top and all. I just didn't think that
> > > it would be this
> > > complicated. Is there a save as setting that is readable without
> > > sending the
> > > works page? Anyone?
> > > --
> > > Thank you very much.

You're welcome.

> Thanks so much to all of you for your help, and hopefully I can get this
> stuff all sorted out.
> --
> Thank you very much.
>

> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> Read Simon's post. Open Office is an alternative to MS Office and is very
>> good, much better than Works. I have MS Office but I use Open Office to
>> open
>> corrupted word docs, works great for that, Go ahead and download it, your
>> Resumes will be much better.
>>
>> --

>> "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It has become something of a headache, and the only thing I use it for
>> > is
>> > business, so I will either have to upgrade to something else like you
>> > mentioned or use FAX, OR the old fashioned snailmail. I am curious
>> > though
>> > about the OpenOffice download, and would that be any solution for my
>> > needs
>> > at
>> > all?
>> > --
>> > Thank you very much.

Which is fine if he's sending letters to the family or something, but he's
trying to submit a resume. I can't imagine anyone is going to be very
impressed with his resume if he says, "here's my resume in an unreadable
format; now go and get yourself a file converter to be able to open it and
read it." If a company is getting a sufficient number of applicants, the
first test is going to be whether the document is submitted properly, and
sending a Works file when they've asked for a Word file is going to fail
that test.

I'd say that he's lucky that anyone has told him that they couldn't open it.

> It sounds like your recipients are using MS Office/Word 2002 (XP) or
> earlier and need to use:
>
> Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9e11e83-f51b-4977-b572-8c042df802c1&displaylang=en
>
> NB: *You* don't need it:
>
> <QP>
> The Works 6.0 Converter converts word processor documents created in
> Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word and other versions of Works.
> Specifically, this converter works with Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x, and Word
> 2002, 2000, and 97 on machines running Microsoft Windows® 98, 2000
> Professional, Millennium Edition, and XP.
>
> You do not need the Works 6.0 Converter if you already have Works 6.0
> installed on your machine.
> </QP>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>

> Femluc wrote:
>> Ok, I don't have MS Office on my system, and the bad part of it is that
>> the document is a resume, and everyone has responded in the past by
>> saying they cannot open and to please send in word format. That is why I
>> asked if there was a simpler way to save the document so it can be read.
>> So do I understand correctly that if I change to a (.doc) rtf and they do
>> not have Word that it still cannot be opened? In any event, I will try
>> that and I thank you for your time and patience with my question.
>>
>> > Ok save the document as word 6.0 (.doc) rtf will work also. The problem
>> > is works saves the documents in its own format .wps anyone who does not
>> > have works installed on their computer will not be able to open it. MS
>> > Word can and will open works document but in most cases they have to
>> > tell Word to open the document because it is not set to open works
>> > files by default. Your system is set to open them which is why it
>> > opened when changed it to rtf. I assume you do not have MS Office
>> > installed on your system? If you save it as ..doc then most people will
>> > be able to open it if they have MS Word.
>> >
>> > --
>> >

>> > The best live web video on the internet
>> > http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now
>> > sell DVR cards.
>> > See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
>> > Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>> >

>> > "Femluc" <Femluc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kelly

Send your résumé to me via private email, Femluc and I will sent it back to
you in Word format.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)