No forum for PSU questions so here it is

Johnny23

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2003
I am building a system for a friend of mine and I was wondering if a 350 watt PSU from antec would be enough to run:

1 burner
1 cdrom
XP 1800+
Asus A7V33-X
512 ram
ATI Raedon 9500 Pro
80gig Maxtor

Otherwise I will go with a 400 watt from Antec. Thanks in advance

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
350 should be fine.

You could get the 400 and call it "future proofing", as it would allow more overhead for system expansion.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

RCPilot

Champion
The better question with Antec is, should I get the Smart Power or the True Power. There's a big difference with them.

Smart Power Antec's use the same method as everyone else. All rails are ran off the same transformer.

True Power by Antec uses a entirely different set up. True Power has a separate transformer for each of the voltage rails being 3.3, 5, & 12 volt rails. So you have clean adequate power for all the rails independently of each other. So you see True Power whether it be 300, 350, 430 watts are far superior to Smart Power & other PSU's.

The only Antec to get is the True Power if you want to step up to the plate with PSU's. The Smart Power is OK for most applications though.

I only run & build with Antec True Power. There are other advantages with True Power & if you research them you'll see the difference right away.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!