help with spybot/spyware

My new gateway computer is only a few days old. I put on spybot, ran it,
and it detects the following after a scan:

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

I'm reluctant to delete this - does it look like something valuble? Is it a
problem that should be deleted as spybot indicates? For now I'm choosing to
ignore this when spybot detects it. Microsoft antispyware detects no
spyware.

Those setting on my machine read: REG_DWORD = 0
So it may be a bogus file. The fact that it start with ! seams odd and that
is why spybot might be picking it up.
You could also try Ad Aware by lovasoft it is also a free download and works
great as well.

"larrylook" wrote:

> My new gateway computer is only a few days old. I put on spybot, ran it,
> and it detects the following after a scan:
>
> Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0
>
> Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
>
> I'm reluctant to delete this - does it look like something valuble? Is it a
> problem that should be deleted as spybot indicates? For now I'm choosing to
> ignore this when spybot detects it. Microsoft antispyware detects no
> spyware.

Those are settings for MS Security Center in SP2.
If I read those correcly, they are set to NOT notify you if the AV or
Firewall becomes disabled.
Theory is, you want them to notify you so you can get the firewall and AV
working ASAP!
I would guess that is why Spybot would tell you the settings are 'wrong'.

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"larrylook" <noemail@email.com> wrote in message
> My new gateway computer is only a few days old. I put on spybot, ran it,
> and it detects the following after a scan:
> Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0
> Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
> I'm reluctant to delete this - does it look like something valuble? Is it
> a problem that should be deleted as spybot indicates? For now I'm
> choosing to ignore this when spybot detects it. Microsoft antispyware
> detects no spyware.

"larrylook" <noemail@email.com> wrote in message
> My new gateway computer is only a few days old. I put on spybot, ran it,
> and it detects the following after a scan:
>
> Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0
>
> Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
>
> I'm reluctant to delete this - does it look like something valuble? Is it
> a problem that should be deleted as spybot indicates? For now I'm
> choosing to ignore this when spybot detects it. Microsoft antispyware
> detects no spyware.

You can tell Spybot to ignore that particular item. Double click on the
item and then, over on the right side of the screen, there is a thing (can't
think of what to call it). Try a double click or maybe a drag to open it.
There should be a menu there. Select the Ignore choice.
--
Bearman
America: Land of the free because of the brave.

See http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=32598 or any of
the other hundred or so posts about this at Spybot Support forum.

Basically, you've told Windows Security Center (WSC) that you will monitor
your third-party firewall's and anti-virus app's status because in the past
WSC wasn't able to. Open WSC and check to see if it can monitor it now.
You may be surprised.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

larrylook wrote:
> My new gateway computer is only a few days old. I put on spybot, ran it,
> and it detects the following after a scan:
>
> Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0
>
> Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
>
> I'm reluctant to delete this - does it look like something valuble? Is it
> a problem that should be deleted as spybot indicates? For now I'm
> choosing to ignore this when spybot detects it. Microsoft antispyware
> detects no spyware.

Hi,

Ignore it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"larrylook" <noemail@email.com> wrote in message
> My new gateway computer is only a few days old. I put on spybot, ran it,
> and it detects the following after a scan:
>
> Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0
>
> Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
>
> I'm reluctant to delete this - does it look like something valuble? Is it
> a problem that should be deleted as spybot indicates? For now I'm
> choosing to ignore this when spybot detects it. Microsoft antispyware
> detects no spyware.

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

NotMe wrote on Thu, 11 Aug 2005:

>Those are settings for MS Security Center in SP2.
>If I read those correcly, they are set to NOT notify you if the AV or
>Firewall becomes disabled.
>Theory is, you want them to notify you so you can get the firewall and AV
>working ASAP!
>I would guess that is why Spybot would tell you the settings are 'wrong'.

No, NotMe, it's the other way round.

The value of 0 means that notification is *enabled*. Check for yourself
by looking in Regedit at your settings first with Security Center set to
notify, then to ignore.

FirewallDisableNotify doesn't mean "notify me if the firewall is
disabled", in which case 0 would mean "No"; it means "disable
NOTIFICATIONS about the firewall" -- don't send alerts -- and 0 means
"keep on sending them".

Spybot seems to have read it your way too, but it's a false alarm.

--
Nightowl