I had to uninstall the SP2 Service Ppack downloaded quite some time ago,
from my Home Edition XP because the Network Connection Manager failed after
installing it. But I am told a) that the problem was observed primarily in
Home Edition and b) that there is a revised version of SP2 in which the
problem has been overcome for the Home Edition.

How does one check if the currently available version of SP2 on the
Microsoft site is
N C M problem-proof? Or is there any documentation along with the pack which
clearly specifies that the problem has been taken care of with the currently
offered version of SP2?

I am keen on downloading it because I want to get the Firewall working back
again.

P. Jayant

I do not know of the Network Connection Manager problem.

I would not rely on the SP2 firewall. It is not that complete. Look at
other "free" firewalls:

Zone Alarm Free -- www.zonealarm.com
Kerio Personal Firewall --- www.kerio.com
Sygate --- www.sygate.com

In news:uToUNttnFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
P.Jayant <pjayant@sancharnet.in> typed:

> I had to uninstall the SP2 Service Ppack downloaded quite some
> time
> ago, from my Home Edition XP because the Network Connection
> Manager
> failed after installing it. But I am told a) that the problem
> was
> observed primarily in Home Edition and b) that there is a
> revised
> version of SP2 in which the problem has been overcome for the
> Edition.

You were told wrong, on both counts. I haven't seen the problem
you experienced, but I'm never seen any such problem which
occured in XP Home, but not XP Professional. And there is only
one version of SP2; there's no such thing as a "revised version"
of it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"P.Jayant" <pjayant@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
>I had to uninstall the SP2 Service Ppack downloaded quite some time ago,
> from my Home Edition XP because the Network Connection Manager failed
> after
> installing it. But I am told a) that the problem was observed primarily
> in
> Home Edition and b) that there is a revised version of SP2 in which the
> problem has been overcome for the Home Edition.
>
> How does one check if the currently available version of SP2 on the
> Microsoft site is
> N C M problem-proof? Or is there any documentation along with the pack
> which
> clearly specifies that the problem has been taken care of with the
> currently
> offered version of SP2?
>
> I am keen on downloading it because I want to get the Firewall working
> back
> again.

There may be a hotfix for the problem you were having with network
connection manager, but you would install that after installing SP2. I am
not aware of the specific issue you are referring to. Search the KB at
http://support.microsoft.com to see if there is a separate download
available for your issue. Then the steps would be to install SP2, visit
http://update.microsoft.com to get any critical updates that have been
released since SP2. Finally install, if necessary any other optional
updates to address the network connection manager problem.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows Shell / User