Upgrade XP Home to Professional

I want to upgrade Home XP to Pro XP, for the simple reason of IIS, as I
develop websites through frontpage. I have four issues:

1. Should I pay anything to anyone for upgrade.
2. How shall I download or buy the upgrade, if so from where? I am from India.
3. Should I remove Home XP and reload Pro XP?
4. Is it advisable to download SP2 and copy it on CD? Now the updates are
done automatically when connceted to Internet. It is fully on.

Can someone help me in this regard?
--
indianVijay
6 answers Last reply

    In news:4DC95FC8-2992-459C-B04E-5FC53D84C907@microsoft.com,
    Indianvijay <indianvijay@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I want to upgrade Home XP to Pro XP, for the simple reason of
    > IIS, as
    > I develop websites through frontpage. I have four issues:
    >
    > 1. Should I pay anything to anyone for upgrade.

    Sure. It's commercial software for sale, and has to be bought,
    unless you want to steal it. You can use either the Upgrade or
    Full version (but not an OEM version). Since the Upgrade is
    cheaper and you qualify for it, that's what you should get.

    > 2. How shall I download or buy the upgrade, if so from where? I
    > am
    > from India.

    It's not legally available to download. Sorry, I don't know
    anything about availablilty in India, but I assume that any store
    which sells computer software will have it. You can also order it
    from many web sites.

    > 3. Should I remove Home XP and reload Pro XP?

    No, you should upgrade over the top of XP Home. It's the easiest
    and most-likely successful of all possible upgrades.

    Howver don't assume there's *no* risk of something going wrong.
    Before beginning, protect yourself by backing up anything you
    can't afford to lose.

    > 4. Is it advisable to download SP2 and copy it on CD?

    When you buy XP Professional, it should come with SP2 integrated.
    If not, you can do as you suggest.

    If your Home installation has SP2 and the Professional CD does
    not, you won't be able to upgrade directly; it will tell you
    you're trying to upgrade with an older version. You'll first have
    to download SP2 and make a slipstreamed XP Professional CD. Read
    here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > Now the updates
    > are done automatically when connceted to Internet. It is fully
    > on.
    >
    > Can someone help me in this regard?

    Thanks Ken for your valuable reply.
    I just want to ask you about the version and license compatibility between
    my Home XP and new Pro XP (that I am buying). Which one should I use?
    --
    indianVijay

    "Indianvijay" <indianvijay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Ken for your valuable reply.
    > I just want to ask you about the version and license compatibility between
    > my Home XP and new Pro XP (that I am buying). Which one should I use?

    An upgrade license is all you need to purchase. Since you already have Home
    and plan on installing Pro as an upgrade, you'll save some money by going
    with the upgrade license rather than full.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows Shell / User

    Hello Tom,
    Thanx for you information.
    Retailers here in Chennai, India is concentrating more on OEM Pack selling
    or a Full Pack of Windows XP Pro and mainly not in Upgrade pack. Should I go
    for OEM, which is lower than the price of Full pack or should I approach
    Microsoft to help me?
    --
    indianVijay

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:17:01 -0700, Indianvijay wrote:

    > Thanx for you information.
    > Retailers here in Chennai, India is concentrating more on OEM Pack selling
    > or a Full Pack of Windows XP Pro and mainly not in Upgrade pack. Should I go
    > for OEM, which is lower than the price of Full pack or should I approach
    > Microsoft to help me?

    From a licensing perspective you get more flexibility with the full
    install. The OEM install, if you follow the strict letter of the license,
    once installed on hardware can never be moved to another machine. If the
    OEM version they are selling is not a customized version, then from an
    install perspective the only difference will be that you cannot do an
    upgrade install with an OEM version. So if you want to stay with
    installing Pro as an upgrade over Home then you will need to go with the
    full version.

    MS may be able to help if they have distribution channels in Chennai.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Hello Tom,

    Thanx for your note. I am happy to get details about OEM and full pack from
    you. However, its pity that MS India couldn't get proper retailers who can
    get us upgrade pack. Most resellers are talking about OEM packs separately
    and they sell it for $160-170 appx. Finally, one reseller said that it can be
    arranged, but at a higher price. I am worried that we need to run from pillar
    to post for upgrading the OS.
    --
    indianVijay

    "Tom Porterfield" wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:17:01 -0700, Indianvijay wrote:
    >
    > > Thanx for you information.
    > > Retailers here in Chennai, India is concentrating more on OEM Pack selling
    > > or a Full Pack of Windows XP Pro and mainly not in Upgrade pack. Should I go
    > > for OEM, which is lower than the price of Full pack or should I approach
    > > Microsoft to help me?
    >
    > From a licensing perspective you get more flexibility with the full
    > install. The OEM install, if you follow the strict letter of the license,
    > once installed on hardware can never be moved to another machine. If the
    > OEM version they are selling is not a customized version, then from an
    > install perspective the only difference will be that you cannot do an
    > upgrade install with an OEM version. So if you want to stay with
    > installing Pro as an upgrade over Home then you will need to go with the
    > full version.
    >
    > MS may be able to help if they have distribution channels in Chennai.
    > --
    > Tom Porterfield
    > MS-MVP Windows
    > http://support.telop.org
    >
    > Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Download Microsoft Windows XP