Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrade XP Home to Professional

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:21:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I want to upgrade Home XP to Pro XP, for the simple reason of IIS, as I
develop websites through frontpage. I have four issues:

1. Should I pay anything to anyone for upgrade.
2. How shall I download or buy the upgrade, if so from where? I am from India.
3. Should I remove Home XP and reload Pro XP?
4. Is it advisable to download SP2 and copy it on CD? Now the updates are
done automatically when connceted to Internet. It is fully on.

Can someone help me in this regard?
--
indianVijay
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:44:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:4DC95FC8-2992-459C-B04E-5FC53D84C907@microsoft.com,
Indianvijay <indianvijay@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I want to upgrade Home XP to Pro XP, for the simple reason of
> IIS, as
> I develop websites through frontpage. I have four issues:
>
> 1. Should I pay anything to anyone for upgrade.


Sure. It's commercial software for sale, and has to be bought,
unless you want to steal it. You can use either the Upgrade or
Full version (but not an OEM version). Since the Upgrade is
cheaper and you qualify for it, that's what you should get.


> 2. How shall I download or buy the upgrade, if so from where? I
> am
> from India.


It's not legally available to download. Sorry, I don't know
anything about availablilty in India, but I assume that any store
which sells computer software will have it. You can also order it
from many web sites.


> 3. Should I remove Home XP and reload Pro XP?


No, you should upgrade over the top of XP Home. It's the easiest
and most-likely successful of all possible upgrades.

Howver don't assume there's *no* risk of something going wrong.
Before beginning, protect yourself by backing up anything you
can't afford to lose.


> 4. Is it advisable to download SP2 and copy it on CD?


When you buy XP Professional, it should come with SP2 integrated.
If not, you can do as you suggest.

If your Home installation has SP2 and the Professional CD does
not, you won't be able to upgrade directly; it will tell you
you're trying to upgrade with an older version. You'll first have
to download SP2 and make a slipstreamed XP Professional CD. Read
here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup



> Now the updates
> are done automatically when connceted to Internet. It is fully
> on.
>
> Can someone help me in this regard?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:59:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Ken for your valuable reply.
I just want to ask you about the version and license compatibility between
my Home XP and new Pro XP (that I am buying). Which one should I use?
--
indianVijay


"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:4DC95FC8-2992-459C-B04E-5FC53D84C907@microsoft.com,
> Indianvijay <indianvijay@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I want to upgrade Home XP to Pro XP, for the simple reason of
> > IIS, as
> > I develop websites through frontpage. I have four issues:
> >
> > 1. Should I pay anything to anyone for upgrade.
>
>
> Sure. It's commercial software for sale, and has to be bought,
> unless you want to steal it. You can use either the Upgrade or
> Full version (but not an OEM version). Since the Upgrade is
> cheaper and you qualify for it, that's what you should get.
>
>
> > 2. How shall I download or buy the upgrade, if so from where? I
> > am
> > from India.
>
>
> It's not legally available to download. Sorry, I don't know
> anything about availablilty in India, but I assume that any store
> which sells computer software will have it. You can also order it
> from many web sites.
>
>
> > 3. Should I remove Home XP and reload Pro XP?
>
>
> No, you should upgrade over the top of XP Home. It's the easiest
> and most-likely successful of all possible upgrades.
>
> Howver don't assume there's *no* risk of something going wrong.
> Before beginning, protect yourself by backing up anything you
> can't afford to lose.
>
>
> > 4. Is it advisable to download SP2 and copy it on CD?
>
>
> When you buy XP Professional, it should come with SP2 integrated.
> If not, you can do as you suggest.
>
> If your Home installation has SP2 and the Professional CD does
> not, you won't be able to upgrade directly; it will tell you
> you're trying to upgrade with an older version. You'll first have
> to download SP2 and make a slipstreamed XP Professional CD. Read
> here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262
>
>
> --
> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
>
>
> > Now the updates
> > are done automatically when connceted to Internet. It is fully
> > on.
> >
> > Can someone help me in this regard?
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:34:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Indianvijay" <indianvijay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:421C0096-AECF-404C-A78B-BC1C5D5E1AC4@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Ken for your valuable reply.
> I just want to ask you about the version and license compatibility between
> my Home XP and new Pro XP (that I am buying). Which one should I use?


An upgrade license is all you need to purchase. Since you already have Home
and plan on installing Pro as an upgrade, you'll save some money by going
with the upgrade license rather than full.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows Shell / User
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:34:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello Tom,
Thanx for you information.
Retailers here in Chennai, India is concentrating more on OEM Pack selling
or a Full Pack of Windows XP Pro and mainly not in Upgrade pack. Should I go
for OEM, which is lower than the price of Full pack or should I approach
Microsoft to help me?
--
indianVijay


"Tom Porterfield" wrote:

> "Indianvijay" <indianvijay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:421C0096-AECF-404C-A78B-BC1C5D5E1AC4@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks Ken for your valuable reply.
> > I just want to ask you about the version and license compatibility between
> > my Home XP and new Pro XP (that I am buying). Which one should I use?
>
>
> An upgrade license is all you need to purchase. Since you already have Home
> and plan on installing Pro as an upgrade, you'll save some money by going
> with the upgrade license rather than full.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows Shell / User
>
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:28:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:17:01 -0700, Indianvijay wrote:

> Thanx for you information.
> Retailers here in Chennai, India is concentrating more on OEM Pack selling
> or a Full Pack of Windows XP Pro and mainly not in Upgrade pack. Should I go
> for OEM, which is lower than the price of Full pack or should I approach
> Microsoft to help me?

From a licensing perspective you get more flexibility with the full
install. The OEM install, if you follow the strict letter of the license,
once installed on hardware can never be moved to another machine. If the
OEM version they are selling is not a customized version, then from an
install perspective the only difference will be that you cannot do an
upgrade install with an OEM version. So if you want to stay with
installing Pro as an upgrade over Home then you will need to go with the
full version.

MS may be able to help if they have distribution channels in Chennai.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows
http://support.telop.org

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:05:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello Tom,

Thanx for your note. I am happy to get details about OEM and full pack from
you. However, its pity that MS India couldn't get proper retailers who can
get us upgrade pack. Most resellers are talking about OEM packs separately
and they sell it for $160-170 appx. Finally, one reseller said that it can be
arranged, but at a higher price. I am worried that we need to run from pillar
to post for upgrading the OS.
--
indianVijay


"Tom Porterfield" wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:17:01 -0700, Indianvijay wrote:
>
> > Thanx for you information.
> > Retailers here in Chennai, India is concentrating more on OEM Pack selling
> > or a Full Pack of Windows XP Pro and mainly not in Upgrade pack. Should I go
> > for OEM, which is lower than the price of Full pack or should I approach
> > Microsoft to help me?
>
> From a licensing perspective you get more flexibility with the full
> install. The OEM install, if you follow the strict letter of the license,
> once installed on hardware can never be moved to another machine. If the
> OEM version they are selling is not a customized version, then from an
> install perspective the only difference will be that you cannot do an
> upgrade install with an OEM version. So if you want to stay with
> installing Pro as an upgrade over Home then you will need to go with the
> full version.
>
> MS may be able to help if they have distribution channels in Chennai.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
>
!