Is there a way to make Task Manager run in Task tray perma..

Hello folks, I am running XP Home on a Dell 2400 & want to have the
Task Manager automatically load so it will be showing in the Task Tray at
startup w/out having to bring it up myself. Is this possible?

Thanks,
meadowmuffin

FIGHT THE POWER
"To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night and
day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which any
human being can fight, and never stop fighting"

ee cummings (1894-1962)
8 answers Last reply
More about make task manager task tray perma

    Copy a shortcut of task manager to your startup folder. Then open the
    properties of task manager shortcut. Set to start minimized. Now open task
    manager. Click on the option tab. Choose "minimize on use" and "hide when
    minimized".

    Reboot to test.

    Good luck!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "meadowmuffin" <meadowmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello folks, I am running XP Home on a Dell 2400 & want to have the
    > Task Manager automatically load so it will be showing in the Task Tray at
    > startup w/out having to bring it up myself. Is this possible?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > meadowmuffin
    >

    > FIGHT THE POWER
    > "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night and
    > day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    > any
    > human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    >
    > ee cummings (1894-1962)

    That helped me out too! I'd been looking for that. Thanks a lot!
    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Copy a shortcut of task manager to your startup folder. Then open the
    > properties of task manager shortcut. Set to start minimized. Now open task
    > manager. Click on the option tab. Choose "minimize on use" and "hide when
    > minimized".
    >
    > Reboot to test.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "meadowmuffin" <meadowmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello folks, I am running XP Home on a Dell 2400 & want to have the
    >> Task Manager automatically load so it will be showing in the Task Tray at
    >> startup w/out having to bring it up myself. Is this possible?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> meadowmuffin
    >>

    >> FIGHT THE POWER
    >> "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night
    >> and
    >> day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    >> any
    >> human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    >>
    >> ee cummings (1894-1962)

    Hey, thanks for answering Richard Urban. I'm a little lost here. Are u
    saying the startup folder as in the one where I click
    Start/programs/startup?? Because if that's it, I tried that & it didn't work.
    It wouldn't paste there. I did a search for "Startup folder" & nothing. So I
    did a search for "Start" & of course hundreds came within the first few
    seconds so I stopped that right quick!
    Could u point me closer?

    Thanks,
    meadowmuffin
    --

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > Copy a shortcut of task manager to your startup folder. Then open the
    > properties of task manager shortcut. Set to start minimized. Now open task
    > manager. Click on the option tab. Choose "minimize on use" and "hide when
    > minimized".
    >
    > Reboot to test.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "meadowmuffin" <meadowmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello folks, I am running XP Home on a Dell 2400 & want to have the
    > > Task Manager automatically load so it will be showing in the Task Tray at
    > > startup w/out having to bring it up myself. Is this possible?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > meadowmuffin
    > >

    > > FIGHT THE POWER
    > > "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night and
    > > day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    > > any
    > > human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    > >
    > > ee cummings (1894-1962)

    Start | All Programs | Startup is the folder you want. I have no idea why
    you can not copy and paste to there.

    Go to your Windows/System32 folder

    Find the file taskmgr.exe. Right click | sent to | desktop (create
    shortcut). This will place a shortcut on your desktop. Now copy that
    shortcut to your Start | All Programs | Startup folder

    You can then delete the shortcut from your desktop.

    --

    > Hey, thanks for answering Richard Urban. I'm a little lost here. Are
    > saying the startup folder as in the one where I click
    > Start/programs/startup?? Because if that's it, I tried that & it didn't
    > work.
    > It wouldn't paste there. I did a search for "Startup folder" & nothing. So
    > did a search for "Start" & of course hundreds came within the first few
    > seconds so I stopped that right quick!
    > Could u point me closer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > meadowmuffin
    > --
    >
    > FIGHT THE POWER
    > "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night and
    > day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    > any
    > human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    > ee cummings (1894-1962)
    >

    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Copy a shortcut of task manager to your startup folder. Then open the
    >> properties of task manager shortcut. Set to start minimized. Now open
    >> task
    >> manager. Click on the option tab. Choose "minimize on use" and "hide when
    >> minimized".
    >>
    >> Reboot to test.
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "meadowmuffin" <meadowmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello folks, I am running XP Home on a Dell 2400 & want to have
    >> > the
    >> > Task Manager automatically load so it will be showing in the Task Tray
    >> > at
    >> > startup w/out having to bring it up myself. Is this possible?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > meadowmuffin
    >> >

    >> > FIGHT THE POWER
    >> > "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night
    >> > and
    >> > day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    >> > any
    >> > human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    >> >
    >> > ee cummings (1894-1962)

    Thank You Richard Urban. That was simple enough. Last nite I wasn't
    OPENING the Startup folder & that's why I couldn't paste the shortcut. After
    I rebooted & Task Manager started up w/the rest I realized what I wanted it
    to do is to be able to close it from showing in the bottom bar & yet still
    have the TM graph showing in the task tray. Is this possible?
    --

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > Start | All Programs | Startup is the folder you want. I have no idea why
    > you can not copy and paste to there.
    >
    > Go to your Windows/System32 folder
    >
    > Find the file taskmgr.exe. Right click | sent to | desktop (create
    > shortcut). This will place a shortcut on your desktop. Now copy that
    > shortcut to your Start | All Programs | Startup folder
    >
    > You can then delete the shortcut from your desktop.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "meadowmuffin" <meadowmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey, thanks for answering Richard Urban. I'm a little lost here. Are
    > > saying the startup folder as in the one where I click
    > > Start/programs/startup?? Because if that's it, I tried that & it didn't
    > > work.
    > > It wouldn't paste there. I did a search for "Startup folder" & nothing. So
    > > did a search for "Start" & of course hundreds came within the first few
    > > seconds so I stopped that right quick!
    > > Could u point me closer?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > meadowmuffin
    > > --
    > >
    > > FIGHT THE POWER
    > > "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night and
    > > day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    > > any
    > > human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    > > ee cummings (1894-1962)
    > >

    > > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Copy a shortcut of task manager to your startup folder. Then open the
    > >> properties of task manager shortcut. Set to start minimized. Now open
    > >> task
    > >> manager. Click on the option tab. Choose "minimize on use" and "hide when
    > >> minimized".
    > >>
    > >> Reboot to test.
    > >>
    > >> Good luck!
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Richard Urban
    > >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> Quote from: George Ankner
    > >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    > >>
    > >> "meadowmuffin" <meadowmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Re-read my first reply to you and follow "all" of the instructions!

    --

    > Thank You Richard Urban. That was simple enough. Last nite I wasn't
    > OPENING the Startup folder & that's why I couldn't paste the shortcut.
    > After
    > I rebooted & Task Manager started up w/the rest I realized what I wanted
    > it
    > to do is to be able to close it from showing in the bottom bar & yet
    > still
    > have the TM graph showing in the task tray. Is this possible?
    > --
    > Thanks, meadowmuffin
    >

    > FIGHT THE POWER
    > "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night and
    > day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    > any
    > human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    > ee cummings
    > (1894-1962)
    >

    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Start | All Programs | Startup is the folder you want. I have no idea why
    >> you can not copy and paste to there.
    >>
    >> Go to your Windows/System32 folder
    >>
    >> Find the file taskmgr.exe. Right click | sent to | desktop (create
    >> shortcut). This will place a shortcut on your desktop. Now copy that
    >> shortcut to your Start | All Programs | Startup folder
    >>
    >> You can then delete the shortcut from your desktop.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "meadowmuffin" <meadowmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hey, thanks for answering Richard Urban. I'm a little lost here.
    >> > Are
    >> > saying the startup folder as in the one where I click
    >> > Start/programs/startup?? Because if that's it, I tried that & it didn't
    >> > work.
    >> > It wouldn't paste there. I did a search for "Startup folder" & nothing.
    >> > So
    >> > did a search for "Start" & of course hundreds came within the first few
    >> > seconds so I stopped that right quick!
    >> > Could u point me closer?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > meadowmuffin
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > FIGHT THE POWER
    >> > "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night
    >> > and
    >> > day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    >> > any
    >> > human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    >> > ee cummings (1894-1962)

    Works perfect. Thanks. I'm always doing stupid things like that & getting
    to gung ho & jumping the gun.
    --

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > Re-read my first reply to you and follow "all" of the instructions!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "meadowmuffin" <meadowmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank You Richard Urban. That was simple enough. Last nite I wasn't
    > > OPENING the Startup folder & that's why I couldn't paste the shortcut.
    > > After
    > > I rebooted & Task Manager started up w/the rest I realized what I wanted
    > > it
    > > to do is to be able to close it from showing in the bottom bar & yet
    > > still
    > > have the TM graph showing in the task tray. Is this possible?
    > > --
    > > Thanks, meadowmuffin
    > >

    > > FIGHT THE POWER
    > > "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night and
    > > day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    > > any
    > > human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    > > ee cummings
    > > (1894-1962)
    > >

    > > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Start | All Programs | Startup is the folder you want. I have no idea why
    > >> you can not copy and paste to there.
    > >>
    > >> Go to your Windows/System32 folder
    > >>
    > >> Find the file taskmgr.exe. Right click | sent to | desktop (create
    > >> shortcut). This will place a shortcut on your desktop. Now copy that
    > >> shortcut to your Start | All Programs | Startup folder
    > >>
    > >> You can then delete the shortcut from your desktop.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Richard Urban
    > >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> Quote from: George Ankner
    > >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    > >>
    > >> "meadowmuffin" <meadowmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You're welcome! (-:

    --

    > Works perfect. Thanks. I'm always doing stupid things like that &
    > getting
    > to gung ho & jumping the gun.
    > --
    >
    > meadowmuffin
    >
    > FIGHT THE POWER
    > "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night and
    > day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    > any
    > human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    >
    > ee
    > cummings (1894-1962)
    >

    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Re-read my first reply to you and follow "all" of the instructions!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "meadowmuffin" <meadowmuffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank You Richard Urban. That was simple enough. Last nite I wasn't
    >> > OPENING the Startup folder & that's why I couldn't paste the shortcut.
    >> > After
    >> > I rebooted & Task Manager started up w/the rest I realized what I
    >> > wanted
    >> > it
    >> > to do is to be able to close it from showing in the bottom bar & yet
    >> > still
    >> > have the TM graph showing in the task tray. Is this possible?
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks, meadowmuffin
    >> >

    >> > FIGHT THE POWER
    >> > "To be nobody but myself-in a world which is doing its best, night
    >> > and
    >> > day, to make you everybody else-means to fight the hardest battle which
    >> > any
    >> > human being can fight, and never stop fighting"
    >> > ee cummings
    >> > (1894-1962)

Task Manager Windows XP