Localhost IP resolves to [::1] instead of [127.0.0.1] on s..

Hi there.

When we 'ping localhost' some of our pcs resolve to [::1] instead of
[127.0.0.1] . This is causing problems because IIS is used on each pc,
and some cannot access local ISS webpages using the url
http://localhost/ whereas http://127.0.0.1/ does work.

What can be going on here?

Googling this is difficult because one cannot google for "::1".

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
grolschie
4 answers Last reply
More about localhost resolves

    "grolschie" <grolschie@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    |>Hi there.
    |>
    |>When we 'ping localhost' some of our pcs resolve to [::1] instead of
    |>[127.0.0.1] . This is causing problems because IIS is used on each pc,
    |>and some cannot access local ISS webpages using the url
    |>http://localhost/ whereas http://127.0.0.1/ does work.
    |>
    |>What can be going on here?
    |>
    |>Googling this is difficult because one cannot google for "::1".

    Found this
    http://www.mcse.ms/archive62-2005-4-1584912.html

    Doing this:
    google: "ping localhost" some of our pcs resolve to "[::1]"
    --

    Ten years of the internet http://tinyurl.com/7cjue

    "grolschie" <grolschie@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there.
    >
    > When we 'ping localhost' some of our pcs resolve to [::1] instead of
    > [127.0.0.1] . This is causing problems because IIS is used on each pc,
    > and some cannot access local ISS webpages using the url
    > http://localhost/ whereas http://127.0.0.1/ does work.
    >
    > What can be going on here?
    >
    > Googling this is difficult because one cannot google for "::1".
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > grolschie

    Forgot to mention that the hosts file shows: 127.0.0.1 localhost

    <Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
    > "grolschie" <grolschie@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > |>Hi there.
    > |>
    > |>When we 'ping localhost' some of our pcs resolve to [::1] instead of
    > |>[127.0.0.1] . This is causing problems because IIS is used on each
    > pc,
    > |>and some cannot access local ISS webpages using the url
    > |>http://localhost/ whereas http://127.0.0.1/ does work.
    > |>
    > |>What can be going on here?
    > |>
    > |>Googling this is difficult because one cannot google for "::1".
    >
    > Found this
    > http://www.mcse.ms/archive62-2005-4-1584912.html
    >
    > Doing this:
    > google: "ping localhost" some of our pcs resolve to "[::1]"

    Many thanks. I googled for "::1" and it come up with only "1"s. I will
    check that out.

    regards,
    grol

    <Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
    > "grolschie" <grolschie@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > |>Hi there.
    > |>
    > |>When we 'ping localhost' some of our pcs resolve to [::1] instead of
    > |>[127.0.0.1] . This is causing problems because IIS is used on each
    > pc,
    > |>and some cannot access local ISS webpages using the url
    > |>http://localhost/ whereas http://127.0.0.1/ does work.
    > |>
    > |>What can be going on here?
    > |>
    > |>Googling this is difficult because one cannot google for "::1".
    >
    > Found this
    > http://www.mcse.ms/archive62-2005-4-1584912.html

    Wonderful!!!! It was because someone installed IPv6 and the localhost
    for IPv6 is now ::1.
    Uninstalling IPv6 fixed it!!!

    Many thanks! :-)
    grol