Sign in with
Your question

First Time Building

Last response: in CPUs
April 6, 2003 9:00:23 AM

So here's what I have in mind...
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500 (Retail Heatsink + Fan)
Corsair 2x256 Twin Pack 2700LL 333mhz
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128
Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM HD
Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW
Lite On 16x DVD-ROM
KDS 19" CRT VS-190IS Monitor
Antec Solution Series SLK2600AMB w/Antec Smart Power 300w Power Supply
2 Antec 80mm Antec Case Fans

This is going to be a gaming machine.
Do I need the Corsair twin pack to take advantage of the dual channel memory interface?
I'm looking for a cheap 19" monitor, someone said KDS was a good brand without the shadow mask...but a few customer reviews said they tend to fail, and the company's warranty policy leaves something to be desired. ??
Is 300w enough? When do you need more than 300 watts?
I think I will overclock this eventually, I am not very sure about how to go about it, or if I can start with the fans I've got and just overclock a little bit and buy better cooling stuff (ThermalRight SLK-800/ThermalTake SmartFan)...is there anything I need to do to prep my machine building it if I want to overclock it in the future?
If anyone can offer any advice or answer any of these nagging questions I'd sure appreciate it =)

More about : time building

April 6, 2003 9:14:11 AM

I would spend a few extra bones to buy a 350W or 400W powersupply. I just love building a computer and knowing that the backbone of the whole system is not going to cause problems. If you're going to overclock the extra juice might be nice.

Make sure you understand what a 40GB drive will do for you. 40GB is not very much, especially if you're doing P2P. I find my 120GB drive rather cramped.

Those twin packs don't cost more than buying two sticks seperately do they? They better not.

I have bought a couple 19" KDS monitors and been pretty happy. Somebody here might have a better suggestion though so look for that. I haven't bought a new monitor in several years.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>
April 6, 2003 12:50:54 PM

The corsair twinX is more expensive than buying 2 seperate DIMMS because they are supposed to be verified for dual channel. I very much doubt there is any difference myself. Unless they have tested the 2 DIMMS seperate to make sure they overclock to the same speed.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
Related resources
April 6, 2003 2:13:43 PM

Case go with Antec Performace Plus 1080 AMG with True Power 430w PSU. Plus 3 80 mm fans. You can add two more if needed. I bought mine at New Egg for $128.00 The PSU sells for $100.00 Since your doing a lot of gaming the more power the better. Plus if you OC later.
April 6, 2003 3:09:06 PM

I would vouch for that, Antec PSU's are AWESOME! They are even underrated in their power specs. But a good recommendation from me as well would still be to pick a 400 watt PSU.

Corsair TwinX modules are this far not known to offer any performance or stability advantages. (as far as I know)
So you might as well go for two un-matched sticks of memory.
April 7, 2003 4:03:10 AM

Since your gaming why not buy TI 4600 or ATI 9700 PRO or the new 9800 Pro thats supports Directx 9.0.
April 7, 2003 5:15:10 AM

i think the 9500 pro is a fine choice, considering you're probably on a budget
the advice to go with something other than a smart power is smart. a true power 430W is probably what you want. i got mine for ~$75
i'd buy the corsair sticks separately and bet they work, not go for the matched pair. if they didn't, i'd just suck it up and send em back and get a matched pair. UNLESS the difference is $20 or less. but i've heard of $100 differences which is just ridiculous.
it's up to you to decide if 40GB is enough, and while other people will tell you differently, i've had and heard about more problems with maxtor drives than western digital ones, so i'd go with WD instead, or seagate

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=1..." target="_new">WinXP tweak guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=1..." target="_new">WinXP tweak guide 2</A>
April 8, 2003 2:08:13 PM

Quote:
the advice to go with something other than a smart power is smart. a true power 430W is probably what you want

I'd have to back that up. I've heard a lot of good things about Antec's TruePower line. However, I've also heard enough bad things about their SmartPower line to make me think that perhaps the quality control on that line isn't quite worth the Antec name. So I'd support the suggestion to avoid the SmartPower line, <i>especially</i> if you plan on OCing in the future.

The case and power supply often don't seem like important features of the computer. They don't directly translate into speed, so they often end up being the least of priority for spending. Yet the power supply often means all of the world of difference between a stable computer and an annoying PoS. And a good case can mean an awful lot to whoever has to assemble and maintain the beast. Further, a good case can reduce noise, reduce electronic interference, and improve your hardware's running temperatures.

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>
April 8, 2003 2:25:22 PM

What bad things you heard about SmartPower? I have Antec SL400, is it a SmartPower line?

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
April 8, 2003 2:28:26 PM

Screw the Asus board if you're going to overclock, get an Abit Nf7-s revision 1.2, or an Epox 8rda+ motherboard for some serious overclocking. Additionally, as others said, beef up your power supply to a big name brand, Antec or Enermax. I currently use a 17 inch KDS flatscreen for my internet/pr0n/kazaa computer, and they work pretty well for a good cost, reccomended

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
April 8, 2003 5:39:45 PM

Quote:
What bad things you heard about SmartPower?

You know, the typical customer rants. Generally the complaints all run along the same lines that some are prone to delivering noticably less power than their ratings. I've even heard of one burning out when it was pressed to run close to (but still under) its rating for an extended period of time without being turned off.

It all seems to indicate that the quality control is bad on them. Some are fine. Some aren't. That's usually a quality control problem.

Quote:
I have Antec SL400, is it a SmartPower line?

Yep. Even just a two second search on Antec's website would have told you that much.

then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>
April 8, 2003 5:42:42 PM

Quote:
Additionally, as others said, beef up your power supply to a big name brand, Antec or Enermax.

Quetzacoatl, SmartPower <i>is</i> Antec. It's one of their two main lines of power supples. The SmartPowers are the cheap ones that ship in the low-cost Antec cases. The TruePower supplies are the higher-quality Antec supplies that are in the good Antec cases.

April 8, 2003 7:47:00 PM

uhm yeah so? I never once said they didnt make the smartpower line

April 8, 2003 8:35:14 PM

Quote:
uhm yeah so? I never once said they didnt make the smartpower line

Alrighty... If you <i>want</i> to play that card...

You said "<font color=blue>beef up your power supply to a big name brand, Antec or Enermax</font color=blue>" after Jovial said he was getting a SmartPower. Since SmartPower <i>is</i> an Antec product line, that means that you're suggesting Jovial exchange his Antec PSU for ... another Antec PSU.

Surely I'm not the only one who found that a rather odd suggestion to make, with the most likely sensible derivation being that you didn't realize SmartPower was an Antec line. (And the second-most likely being that you work for the Department of Redundancy Department.)

April 9, 2003 12:40:54 AM

My internet quota is almost finish so I try not to use extra money on my network because my campus network charge every single KB I download/upload from the internet. So I have to ask around instead go to Antec site.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
April 9, 2003 3:09:28 AM

LTBlue where did you get the 430W True Power for $75? Thats a great price.
April 9, 2003 3:56:36 AM

im reinforcing the answer, stop critizing me and get back to your ranting in another thread

April 9, 2003 1:34:53 PM

Quote:
LTBlue where did you get the 430W True Power for $75? Thats a great price.

Try checking <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">Pricewatch</A>.

<font color=blue><pre>I'm proud to be an American,
who served my country in the US Air Force,
to protect the rights of my fellow Americans,
to hold protests against others like me.</pre><p></font color=blue>
April 9, 2003 1:42:14 PM

Quote:
im reinforcing the answer, stop critizing me and get back to your ranting in another thread

Hey, <i>you're</i> the one getting pissy at someone who was just trying to help. So why don't you stop being an arse and get back to whatever it is that you do around here?

<font color=blue><pre>I'm proud to be an American,
who served my country in the US Air Force,
to protect the rights of my fellow Americans,
to hold protests against others like me.</pre><p></font color=blue>
April 9, 2003 8:43:50 PM

I have a quite similiar config and am quite pleased with it.

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ Tbred-b OEM CPU
ThermalTake 80mm Case Fan
(2) Thermal Take Smart Fan 2 (1 for side panel intake, one for HS)
Thermalright SLK800(A)
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard Retail.
TWINX512-2700LL PT
80 gb WD 8mb Cache HD
Optorite52x24x52 CW5202BK
BK sony floppy
CHIEFTEC FS710 Black Case (w/ 2 fans)
TT-420APD(D-FAN) PFC
2 enermax thermal sensor fans (shipped)
gf4 4200 asus

win xp home full
monitor FE990-BK w shipping
Mitsumi Keyboard BK
Logitech Optical MX 500
Speakers Creative 2.1

All cost me about 1200$.

Runs 12x185 @ 1.65v without pushing it too hard.
41 C (According to mobo monitor) under max load from 3dmark2001se for 2 hrs, ambient temp 74.

I'd recommend getting the PC-3200ll ram, according to the voice reporter that is what fails if I try to run it higher, so spend the extra money and get it. The power supply is quiet, and has consistant voltage but puts out hot air, I suppose I should have gotten a Enermax...

I love the monitor, it was 221$ with free shipping from Amazon.com if I remember correctly.

Look for the mouse, speakers and HD at bestbuy or whatever, they have rebates often and you can save about 100$.
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2003 4:39:41 AM

No, it's not that their True Power supplies are underatted, it's that their basic supplies were so grossly overrated that they gave other companies a lot of leeway to do the same thing. I have older OEM units that are as "underated" as the newer True Power supplies.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
!