I have an XP pro that will only start to the Compact logo, then it goes away.
No post beeps. F8 goes to menu screen but no selection works.

You mean Compaq?

This also happened to me with my HP( HP and Compaq have the same bootup type
of loading the name and then the OS). Just keep pressing F8 while on the
Compaq screen and just keep going. You should get to the options. Just choose
Back to OS choices menu.

Maybe it is something with your OS. The most frequent problem is the
'hal.dll'.

Reply and tell me what is the problem with your computer when starting up.
--
Microsoft Beta Tester
Member since 2005