Williams Blackout backglass

Just purchased Blackout, games plays good, playfield in good shape, but it
has the backglass from a Flash pin. I'm looking for the Blackout backglass
and will trade/sell the Flash backglass.

I looked for a Blackout backglass for about a year before giving up.

Larry Noska was selling a "translite" for Blackout at one time. I say
"translite" because it's really a high-quality print of a hi-res scan
on photo paper, but it looks great. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Replace the "over the plunger" flipper spring with the small WPC kind -
you'll be amazed at the difference.

John

Jeff Dieterle wrote:
> Just purchased Blackout, games plays good, playfield in good shape, but it
> has the backglass from a Flash pin. I'm looking for the Blackout backglass
> and will trade/sell the Flash backglass.

brianc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002

Jeff, Larry Noska advertises on Mr. Pinball parts for sale. Do a
search and you will find him. I think the translight looks good, but
I am having trouble installing mine because of the extra width of the
two pieces of glass I had to sandwich the translight in.

Good Luck, Brian

John,
Thanks for info. How do I contact Larry Noska ? Regarding the flipper
spring,is it the spring that returns the flipper and what is a WPC kind of
spring ?

Thanks
Jeff
"jschlarb" <john@schlarb.com> wrote in message
>I looked for a Blackout backglass for about a year before giving up.
>
> Larry Noska was selling a "translite" for Blackout at one time. I say
> "translite" because it's really a high-quality print of a hi-res scan
> on photo paper, but it looks great. I'm pretty happy with mine.
>
> Replace the "over the plunger" flipper spring with the small WPC kind -
> you'll be amazed at the difference.
>
> John
>
> Jeff Dieterle wrote:
>> Just purchased Blackout, games plays good, playfield in good shape, but
>> it
>> has the backglass from a Flash pin. I'm looking for the Blackout
>> backglass
>> and will trade/sell the Flash backglass.

Scott

Instead of using 2 pieces of glass, can't you use black electrical tape
to secure all 4 edges of the "translite" to the glass -OR- better yet
use the edge guards used on games with Translites as that's how they
are secured to the plastic (ie glass in your case).

"Jeff Dieterle"
> Regarding the flipper
> spring,is it the spring that returns the flipper and what is a WPC kind of
> spring ?

Yes- it's the tapered spring that normally goes around the coil plunger-
returns it to the rest position. (Only spring on the assembly).

To replace this with the modern spring/design, you have to add a spring
mounting tab to the flipper crank bolt. This allows the spring to be
attached to the crank. Then you have to mount the other end of the spring
probably under the front EOS switch screw. Normally it mounts in a hole on
the metal tab that the EOS mounts to, but in these older games, that
mounting tab is only as high as the top of the EOS switch, so no room above
it to drill a hole and mount the spring.

Springs mounted under the front EOS screw tend to break after a while- won't
last as long as if it were installed on the correct (newer) flipper
assembly- but you will get a much better performance from the flipper with
the newer style spring.

The spring is Wms # 10-364. I don't have parts or # for the tab.

See: www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm for pictures of a newer flipper
assembly/rebuild to see what it looks like.

Ray J.

--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

> "jschlarb" <john@schlarb.com> wrote in message
> >I looked for a Blackout backglass for about a year before giving up.
> >
> > Larry Noska was selling a "translite" for Blackout at one time. I say
> > "translite" because it's really a high-quality print of a hi-res scan
> > on photo paper, but it looks great. I'm pretty happy with mine.
> >
> > Replace the "over the plunger" flipper spring with the small WPC kind -
> > you'll be amazed at the difference.
> >
> > John
> >
> > Jeff Dieterle wrote:
> >> Just purchased Blackout, games plays good, playfield in good shape, but
> >> it
> >> has the backglass from a Flash pin. I'm looking for the Blackout
> >> backglass
> >> and will trade/sell the Flash backglass.

2 panes of window glass (1/8" I think) did the trick for me. I used
electrical tape around the whole thing, and it seems pretty solid. No
problem with the width.

2 panes of window glass (1/8" I think) did the trick for me. I used
electrical tape around the whole thing, and it seems pretty solid. No
problem with the width.

Thanks for the help, I've also contacted L. Noska about the translight