A7M266 & XP2100 CPU - Now PC doesn't boot

tomalone

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
Hi everybody!

I changed my CPU yesterday: I'm using an ASUS A7M266 MB and put in an AMD XP 2100. Previous CPU was XP1600.
My BIOS is updated to 007, the recommended version.

Problem is: PC boots as normal with the old CPU, when XP2100 is inserted, the fans start moving but the screeen remains black. No beep code, nothing.

My MB is set to Jumper free mode, but I can't use Jumper mode as I don't find the info on how to set the jumpers for an XP 2100 (XP 1400 is the fastest mentioned by Asus).

Couldn't find help on Asus website, so you guys are my last hope...

Any suggestions?

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
1. Ask Asus technical support to check whether your 2100+ is supported by your mobo.
2. Check PSU if you got enough power.
3. Your mobo manual should contain the info on how to set FSB. But 1600+ and 2100+ is both 266FSB so this shouldn't be a problem.
4. Make sure your mobo is not grounded.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

tomalone

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
Cheers, I already checked some of the stuff you suggested:

1. Ask Asus technical support to check whether your 2100+ is supported by your mobo.

=> Their website says, XP 2100 is okay with BIOS 007. Problem is: There are 2 types of XP2100 around. Is it possible, that one of them is not supported, only the other one?

2. Check PSU if you got enough power.
=> 350W, hope so!

3. Your mobo manual should contain the info on how to set FSB. But 1600+ and 2100+ is both 266FSB so this shouldn't be a problem.
=> Manual mentions only CPUs up to XP 1400, same with website.

4. Make sure your mobo is not grounded.
=> How do I check this? I think my MOBO is okay, as it boots when I insert my old CPU.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
One more thing to try...

Turn off power at the back of the computer.

Put in your new CPU and install the heatsink. (NEVER turn on an AMD system without the heatsink installed!)

Hold down the INSERT key above the arrow keys on your keyboard. (On some BIOSs it's the END key or the ESC key... so you may have to try them all.)

Turn on the power while still holding the key down.

This should bypass the POST tests and take you into the BIOS in safe mode where you can set up for your new chip.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
check your xp2100 for core damage... (just in case)

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Tomalone,

Based upon everything I've read, here's what I think: Assuming (no offense, just being logical here) that you put the new CPU in correctly, applied the paste or tape and put the HSF on tight...there's no reason that CPU should't boot.

Regardless of whether it's the .18 Palomino or the .13 T-Bred core, it would boot into the BIOS. Are any of the pins on the new CPU bent? Is there another computer somewhere (maybe a buddies?) that you could test the CPU on?

Power should not make a difference, the CPU's are so similar. Even if it is a new T-Bred, the voltage needed is actually LOWER than Palomino's, so it couldn't be the reason.

Try it in another PC if you can, otherwise RMA the sucker.

<font color=purple><i>If I had a notch on my belt for every PC I'd destroyed, I'd have a really crappy looking belt</i></font color=purple>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
That's what I'm thinking right now, bad CPU. So Thoroughbred's power consumption (VCore=1.6V) is lower than Palomino (VCore=???V), that's new to me, I always thought higher CPU = higher power consumption. So how much the VCore of Palomino?

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>