Sign in with
Your question

Amd's version of hyperthreading??

Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2003 3:33:17 AM

i read in a interview with someone in Nvidia (i got the article off the inquier or AMD zone) he said the Nvidia is work with AMD on something call hyper transport of something?? could this be AMD's responds to hyper threading??
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2003 3:38:24 AM

No, hypertransport is a bus technology that improves transfer rate, it's being used on some chipsets to allow the northbridge and southbridge to communicate and might be used on future CPU buses.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
April 8, 2003 4:11:16 PM

Quote:
No, hypertransport is a bus technology that improves transfer rate, it's being used on some chipsets to allow the northbridge and southbridge to communicate and might be used on future CPU buses.

Yeah. It's supposed to be how the Athlon64 and Opteron CPUs talk to each other and the northbridge. It's also supposed to be used between the northbridge and the southbridge for I/O communication in Athlon64 and Opteron motherboards. Supposedly it supports PCI-X quite nicely. (Of course we have to take AMD's word on that.)

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2003 5:15:14 PM

It should support any PCI extensions, including the higher performance PCI-X and PCI Express, simply by adding a controller to the Hyper Transport bus.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
April 8, 2003 6:02:29 PM

Oh yeah, it <i>should</i> be easy enough. That's what standards are for. :) 

I just like to be a pessimist until I have full proof. And since the hardware isn't officially out yet, that leaves me with a little time still to grumble. ;) 

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>
!