juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
You can read it on toms new.

Via will have the right to produce X86 cpu intel compatible buit not socket compatible or bus compatible.C3 use Socket 370 and P3 bus so i guess the next architecure will be a new socket and bus or they will use AMD socket A.

Via have the right to produce chipset compatible bus for intel cpu.

Intel will receive a lot of cash from via like it does with SIS AMD ALI.Ati is a exception to cross patern from is GPU.You know I845G is not 4X faster for nothing (vs I815 graphic card)

[-peep-] french

eden

Champion
Well finally things have settled. Now to see if VIA's legal presence in the P4 chipset market, will let them be creative, or once again be nothing but another chipset manu like all the others so far that have tried against Intel.

And that'll shut the anti-VIA people when it comes to arguments like this to why VIA sucks!

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And that'll shut the anti-VIA people when it comes to arguments like this to why VIA sucks!
Hell no!

VIA sucks because their firmware programmers are half-trained monkeys that just keep hacking away and releasing betas until something finally (and usually accidentally) works.

Well, that and they're just plain bad at what they do. Their CPUs suck compared to low-voltage mobile Celerons. Their AMD motherboards suck compared to nVidia nForce2 motherboards. Their Intel motherboards suck compared to Intel chipset motherboards.

Frankly, VIA just simply can't beat anyone at anything. All that they're good for is low-cost alternatives to <i>rea</i> manufacturers. (Well, and for laughs.)

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No. Actually yesterday while I was driving to work at 45mph along a 65mph highway (because of the horrible snowfall) I was passing a semi-truck doing 40mph. The semi decided that my life wasn't interesting enough, and so swerved at me and changed lanes into my lane. Being in only a Mercury Sable, the semi won.

And needless to say, on a two lane highway, that left me rather out of lanes to drive in...

So a spin out through a snow-covered ditch of a median with me hoping that I somehow manage to control the skid enough to not cross over the median into oncoming traffic while hurdling backwards, I somewhere found the source for eternal jitters.

At least so far they appear to be eternal. You ever read those Cyberpunk books where 'wired' folk can't stop twitching slightly...

So anywho, I think my adrenal gland is stuck on permanent overload. Needless to say, that's left me in a rather ... abrupt state. Sorry if I seem a little spastic, but I can at least honestly say it's a chemical imbalance. Hopefully I can find some way to actually relax sooner or later or I might end up burning out.

So again, sorry if I'm a little off from my usual game. I think the logic sections of my brain that have been previously useful for computer programming have (hopefully only) temporarily shorted out.

then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I spent months debugging a VIA problem, gave up, and a patch was released a year later. The rest of the bugs were fixed within one more year. Two years to get a VIA chipset system to run right is not too bad a record.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I spent months debugging a VIA problem, gave up, and a patch was released a year later. The rest of the bugs were fixed within one more year. Two years to get a VIA chipset system to run right is not too bad a record.
I've had about as much luck with VIA. My system here at work is a P3-750 with PC100 running on an Asus P3V4X. (Despite my request at the time for a P3-733 with PC133 running on an 815 mobo. Supervisors who <i>think</i> that they know something about computers <b>suck</b>.)

Anywho, it's the old famous VIA Apollo Pro133A PoS chipset, and had the infamous VIA AGP bug, where basically <i>any</i> video card that reserved system memory (such as my Matrox Millenium G400 ... which I'm <i>required</i> to use because our customers do) has a rather high likelihood of having that memory corrupted at some point by VIA's AGP controller and thus causing a complete system lockup. (Along with many pretty colors.)

VIA wouldn't even admit that the problem existed in anything but their <i>Athlon</i> chipsets at the time. (Even though my Intel system quite clearly was affected by the very same bug.) I'm not sure if they ever did finally admit that their Intel chipsets were just as affected. But anywho, even then, it took three months just for a driver patch that <i>reduced</i> the occurance of the problem. It took another four months after that before the problem was actually fixed.

Meanwhile every chance that VIA had, they tried to blame the graphics card for the problem, no matter how many perfectly in-AGP-spec graphics cards were affected by the problem and worked just fine with any chipset <i>but</i> a VIA chipset.

I found it rather amusing that on a nearly daily basis at the time VIA would release a driver update, and in the same breath claim that it wasn't <i>their</i> fault, it was the graphics card manufacturer's fault. And with almost daily driver updates, it still took VIA a total of seven months to actually correct the bug, and three months just to reduce the occurance of the bug.

Needless to say, my experience with VIA is that their tech support is just a bunch of liars and their engineers are just a bunch of unskilled monkeys.

Maybe they've gotten better since then, but with all of the experience that they should have by now, it's still amazing at how poorly their products perform in comparison to the competition. So why even bother with VIA when other, <i>better</i>, solutions exist? That's how I see it anyway.