Another irritating Page File size question

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I have just finished a new build with a Samsung 830 256 GB SSD for OS and some programs, a WD Caviar Black 500 GB secondary HDD for Data and other stuff and 8 GB DDR3 1600 SDRAM. I did most of the recommended Win 7 settings for optimizing use on a SSD.

New to SSDs so I did a fair amount of research on optimizing Win 7 for SSD. One recommendation was to reduce the Page File size. I have mine set to 1024 MB. Currently I show a No paging file option which is selected for the E drive (secondary drive) in the Virtual Memory configuration window. I did not set it that way.

I think the page file size for the SSD is OK for my usage but should I have a page file size set for the secondary HDD and if so what size would be recommended? System use is general, no gaming, some MS Office work, some Photoshop work (both of these will be installed on the SSD).

RealBeast

Titan
My opinion, and I know they vary widely: With 8Gb of ram MS would recommend the same size page file size, but it is unlikely that you will use it often or ever, so I would put it on the HDD. That saves SSD space and in the unlikely event that it is needed (based on your uses) it is available. Also I usually set it to a specific size and do not allow it to dynamically change, so 8192Mb upper and lower size limit.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

OK, does that mean removing it entirely (selecting No page file) from the C drive (SSD) and put it all on the E drive (WD HDD)?