Sign in with
Your question

Building First PC -- Please Advise

Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2003 4:30:50 AM

I am buying components to build my first PC. I intend to use the system for general purposes, some graphic and web design and a little gaming. Some components I have already purchased and others I am waiting on. This is what I am considering or have already bought...

ASUS A7V8X motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ or 2200+
Zalman CNPS3100+ Heatsink
Kingston 512MB 333MHz DDR PC2700
BFG Asylum GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB DDR (Purchased)
WD 80GB 7200rpm Hard Drive (Purchased)
Plextor 48x24x48 CD-RW Black (Purchased)
Hitachi-LG 48x CD-ROM Black (Purchased)
Viewsonic E70fb 17" 1280x1024 PerfectFlat CRT Black (Purchased)
Antec Performance II Model# SX635BII

After reading reviews of the listed Antec case, I am disappointed to learn it is not really black. After going to the expense of acquiring blank components I would like a case that is truly black. What would you guys recommend? I would prefer something traditional -- no windows, LEDs or other accessories.

Any recommendations on what I should buy would be very welcomed. I would like to finish this project up soon. Thank you.

Conrad

More about : building advise

April 9, 2003 5:09:27 AM

buy abit mobo with nforce2 chipset, buy volcano 7 or 11 hs and make sure you have a good psu. remember a good psu is one of the main things.

as far as cpu, if you don't mind ocing, get axp 1700+ (week 9 of 2003, tbred b, jiuhb stepping)

<font color=orange><b>these days every one knows how small your penis is, and they are dying to help you with many many penis enlargement emails.
April 9, 2003 8:29:49 AM

Get a Nforce2 chipset mobo instead. If you aren't overclocking the stock HSF on a retail CPU is fine.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>
Related resources
April 9, 2003 11:15:06 AM

Look at Antec cases for a nice black one. Look for the True Power PSU in it for the machine your building. 1080 AMG is a great case but I couldn't find it in black on their web site.

I just bought a black Antec 1040BII on sale for $79.95 after rebate for a client @ CompUSA, but it's got the 400 w Smart Power PSU. Whit your machine I don't think it would do in the long run. Great looking case though.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!
April 9, 2003 12:14:06 PM

Is Antec SmartPower really that bad? I have higher rig then him and I'm using Antec SL400 400W SmartPower, with 8 fans running in my system together I don't find any problem at all. So what's the "long run" problem will arise?

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
April 9, 2003 3:48:59 PM

No, I didn't mean to say they were a bad PSU at all. I've heard of some of them that are bad right off the bat. Other wise than that they are fine. I just feel that with the type of system specs. that were posted the True Power is the one to get. It has 3 transformers 1 for each rail. The Smart Power has 1 Transformer for the 3 rails. I just think with a high end vid card, good CPU chip, & a good MOBO with burners & all, you get better consistent, clean power to all the rails. That's all. Well 1 other thing is with the True Power you get the Smart Fan set up so that makes for a super quiet case.

Like I said I just bought a 1040BII Antec with a Smart Power 400w for my Daughter in Laws Dad. He doesn't need much of a machine so it's on the low mid. end. It will be just fine for that machine. Shoot, he's Family & I wouldn't want to start a feud. I like them & use them also. Sorry I sounded that negative.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!
April 9, 2003 4:01:52 PM

I advise NOT to buy a volcano 11, it's just a waste of money.
April 9, 2003 8:13:05 PM

clamp problems eigh.. lmao

<font color=orange><b>these days every one knows how small your penis is, and they are dying to help you with many many penis enlargement emails.
April 9, 2003 9:43:05 PM

Why do you recommend a Nforce2 chipset motherboard? What makes it a better motherboard?

I don't plan on overclocking. So if I don't need anything but the stock HSF then I won't get the Zalman flower I was looking at. Thanks for the suggestion.
April 9, 2003 10:22:30 PM

what about the fact that its the best socket a chipset yet? would that do? you can see the difference between all the socket 462 chipsets in the mobo section of thg.

April 9, 2003 10:25:26 PM

well..one thing to look at, if you are buying XP2100+ or 2200+, make sure you got the T-Bred B version, much cooler version than the A and Palomino
I personnaly have a KT333..not bad, but nForce2 board has the best performance among all the chipsets now, such as KT400 or KT333, KT266A, SiS745... whatever it exists now can't beat nForce2, if you wish, search in THG and you will see some benchmarks that how nForce2 beat them
also, it included a onboard sound card which is very nice.
The upcoming KT400A might be able to beat nForce2 or at least same performance.. ( I hope?)
and yes, Stock HSF is enough, but I don't know what's that Zalman Flower is, is that the thing that runs without a Fan and take a lot of place? if that's so, then it is very very quiet..if you want a silence PC, Get it, otherwise, if you are not planning to Overclock, stock HSF is enough
if I said wrong thing, anyone are welcome to correct me~
have fun with your new PC~~
April 10, 2003 1:02:11 AM

Quote:
I don't know what's that Zalman Flower is, is that the thing that runs without a Fan and take a lot of place? if that's so, then it is very very quiet

damn right rofl

you can put a fan on it too, but it does take up some room like you said

April 10, 2003 1:47:57 AM

nForce2 is the fastest Atholon chipset now.

Buy MSI K7N2-L instead of ASUS A7V8X. It's the fastest of all athlon mobos and costs only $95

Someday Microsoft will use safedisc copy protection on Windows, and we have to insert the Windows CD evertime we boot pc.

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>
April 10, 2003 4:29:21 AM

Good answer. ;) 
April 10, 2003 4:31:55 AM

That Antec is a nice case. But I think I prefer to have something without a door. I think a door which just get in the way. I guess a door which help keep some dust out. What is the general opinion on cases with doors?

Does anyone know of any other good, black cases?
April 10, 2003 4:35:08 AM

Thank you for the post, I think you are right on the mark. Appreciate the help.
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2003 4:51:47 AM

Antec cases are available in two versions of black, the cheaper color is a dark grey "black" and the more expensive one is "blacker".

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
April 10, 2003 5:02:21 AM

Oh, I see. That is funny.

Where is the best place to shop for cases online? newegg.com usually has good pictures and an equally good selection. But are there other recommended sites?
!