Help a newbie with Optiplex GX1p memory problem?

Well, I'm a newbie by the standards of this group, anyway. I can usually pop
a case open and tell what's what, but I'm a little stumped here.

At work, our accounting-type person is working on an old Optiplex Gx1p,
Pentium II 450, with 128 MB ECC SDRAM (according to the setup utility).

We'd like to upgrade the memory on it to 256 or even 512 MB, if possible, to
avoid the frequent crashes that happen when there are four or five programs
open on it at once.

I opened the case this morning, and couldn't ... uh ... find the memory. The
CPU seems to be contained in a large black plastic sub-case, and there is
something that MIGHT be the memory clipped in flush to the motherboard, but
it's lying flat against the mobo and doesn't look like any memory I've ever
seen before -- very short (1.5 inches) and, like I said, flush to the
motherboard instead of perpendicular to it.

I was in a hurry, only having five minutes to poke around before the person
in question came in. Googling Optiplex GX1p gives me indications that there
should be three memory slots there, but like I said, I couldn't see them.

Am I going nuts?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Matt Shepherd

"Matt Shepherd" <matthewshepherd@hotmail.com> wrote in message

New question:

How fussy is Dell with memory? I'd like to order from a Canadian source, and
I see memory on TigerDirect (manufacturer PNY) that matches in all
what-I-think-are-important categories:

Memory Size 128MB
Memory Speed 100MHz PC100
Memory Type ECC SDRAM
Pins 168

I'd hate to wind up with a chunk of expensive plastic because Dell doesn't
like this memory. PNY says "We have the largest variety of upgrades with
Guaranteed Compatibility. PNY Memory is 100% Quality Registered. ISO-9001
It's guaranteed!"

Can I be pretty sure this stuff will work?

Thanks again.

- Matt Shepherd
http://www.man-man.org

"Karl Shaw" <karlshaw4@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I own a Dell Dimension 2350 and have recently upgraded the RAM from 256MB,
> to 512MB using a PNY chip. On first boot with the new chip, it was
> recognized and screamed through the sequence. So the Optiplex you have
> should find it and run fine.

Brill. Just wanted some reassurance before hitting the "PLEASE TAKE ALL MY
MONEY" button.

Thanks.

- Matt

"Matt Shepherd" <matthewshepherd@hotmail.com> wrote:

>New question:
>
>How fussy is Dell with memory? I'd like to order from a Canadian source, and
>I see memory on TigerDirect (manufacturer PNY) that matches in all
>what-I-think-are-important categories:
>
>Memory Size 128MB
>Memory Speed 100MHz PC100
>Memory Type ECC SDRAM
> Pins 168

You can confirm your selection, if you want, by going to
http://www.crucial.com, which has a neat, by mfgr/model selector
that'll pop-up memory chip selection(s) for the model entered.
Apparently, the GX1 had a couple of categories,

>I'd hate to wind up with a chunk of expensive plastic because Dell doesn't
>like this memory. PNY says "We have the largest variety of upgrades with
>Guaranteed Compatibility. PNY Memory is 100% Quality Registered. ISO-9001
>It's guaranteed!"
>
>Can I be pretty sure this stuff will work?

I've bought mine from crucial and never had a problem. Others
here have their favorite vendors, but any reputable chip meeting
the specs should work fine. Since PNY seems to guarantee
compatibility, you should be OK. Dunno about the GX1s, but IME,
Dells are very user-friendly for such things as adding cards,
drives, and memory. [Aside from having to remember, with some
models, to unlatch the PS and rotate it out of the way. ;->]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

> "Matt Shepherd" <matthewshepherd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> New question:
>
> How fussy is Dell with memory? I'd like to order from a Canadian source,
and
> I see memory on TigerDirect (manufacturer PNY) that matches in all
> what-I-think-are-important categories:
>
> Memory Size 128MB
> Memory Speed 100MHz PC100
> Memory Type ECC SDRAM
> Pins 168
>
> I'd hate to wind up with a chunk of expensive plastic because Dell doesn't
> like this memory. PNY says "We have the largest variety of upgrades with
> Guaranteed Compatibility. PNY Memory is 100% Quality Registered. ISO-9001
> It's guaranteed!"
>
> Can I be pretty sure this stuff will work?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> - Matt Shepherd
> http://www.man-man.org

Matt,

I own a Dell Dimension 2350 and have recently upgraded the RAM from 256MB,
to 512MB using a PNY chip. On first boot with the new chip, it was
recognized and screamed through the sequence. So the Optiplex you have
should find it and run fine.

Hope this helps,

Karl.