Drexel

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
Just showing some facts...
AMD 2002 Revenue: $2.7 Billion
INTEL Revenues: $26.7 Billion (2002)

Thats from their websites...

I gotta say, for making 10% of what Intel makes, AMD is amazing for being able to make processors that keep up with Intel.

Just a plug, discuss ;-)

dhlucke

Polypheme
Competition is always nice. Those figures only tell a small part of the story though since the bottom line is profit.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

I will agree, what they have done over the last few years, keeping up with Intel, has been DEFINITELY amazing, and fun to follow.

But, I don't know that I would be so bold to make the statement that AMD is currently keeping up with Intel. Maybe a year ago this statement was true, but I couldn't agree now.

Intel is moving along with more and more different technologies to their processors, while AMD is having a problem, regarding their line of Athlons aging, with no obvious line of processor that will be as impressive. Barton does not seem to provide the "performance" that Athlons are noted for. Then again, this could be that the technology in Barton has not come of age yet, much like the P4. Early on, the P4 was a joke...but now, as it has matured...nobody is laughing at it.

AMD came upon a good thing with the Athlons, but they seem to be lagging behind, as Intel's future is looking very interesting, and AMD just can't seem to get many new things out in time...

Another thing, is that Intel is becoming more competitive pricewise. Already, the difference in price/performance in the high-end processors is negligible, and as the current high-end processors become standardized, the price/performance curve will only go to serve Intel, as AMD's current line of Athlons is phased out.

Example: Currently, you can buy Athon XP 1700+-2200+ for good price, but this time next year, what will they be selling? XP 2400+, 2600+?Will these new processors have such a good price/performance edge over the competition? If AMD does drop prices to maintain the edge, then it cuts into their profits. Who wins there?

And you do have to admit, you can do a LOT more with 20 Billion, than you can with 2 Billion....the question is, what is Intel going to do with that money? Are they going to make the proverbial "AMD Killer"? 20 Billion would go a LONG way to making that happen...OR...
Would Intel prefer just to stay just above AMD, and milk the consumer for more money, while keeping AMD from going bankrupt and avoiding a monopoly situation?

<font color=blue> Computer fans are really cooling fans for the user. When they run, the user is cool, but whenever they break, the user starts sweating!! </font color=blue>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I agree with you. AMD has done the "keeping up" bit quite nicely in the past, but seems to be in some trouble right now.
Early on, the P4 was a joke...but now, as it has matured...nobody is laughing at it.
Absolutely. Willamette-cored CPUs were laughable... But I can´t laugh about a 3.2Ghz, 800Mhz HT-enabled Northwood at all. I can smile, but I can´t laugh.
you can do a LOT more with 20 Billion, than you can with 2 Billion....
Also, that´s why rumors like Yamhill get around... Intel could do so if they wanted to, couldn´t they?... They´re not limited in resources... At least not the way AMD is. And if they do get x86-64 out the door and it´s a respectable performer... That would be impressive. (would have been even more if things went as smoothly as scheduled, but whatever)