Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unwanted Web Pages keep opening up on IE

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:46:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi guys,
don't know what I have done but, web pages keep opening up when I haven't
clicked a link. When I am on my computer not on IE, web pages keep opening
up, the main ones are http://ad.yeildmanager.com and www.screensavers.com
how do I get rid of them. I have ad aware and spybot s&d, but do not seem
to stop them, your help is appreciated
Thanks and Regards
Bob

More about : unwanted web pages opening

August 12, 2005 10:46:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

BH2 wrote:

> Hi guys,
> don't know what I have done but, web pages keep opening up when I
> haven't
> clicked a link. When I am on my computer not on IE, web pages keep
> opening up, the main ones are http://ad.yeildmanager.com and
> www.screensavers.com
> how do I get rid of them. I have ad aware and spybot s&d, but do not
> seem to stop them, your help is appreciated
> Thanks and Regards
> Bob

Go through the following malware removal steps systematically, doing
everything with updated tools in Safe Mode:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:46:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Download, install, update and run all of the following. The current version
of AdAware is 106r and spybot is 1.4 if you do not have the current version
then download them.

Ad-Aware
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

Ewido Security Suite Trial version
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it, save
a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
I can analyze it.

HijackThis
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"BH2" <furness850@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uxCJdsynFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi guys,
> don't know what I have done but, web pages keep opening up when I haven't
> clicked a link. When I am on my computer not on IE, web pages keep
> opening up, the main ones are http://ad.yeildmanager.com and
> www.screensavers.com how do I get rid of them. I have ad aware and spybot
> s&d, but do not seem to stop them, your help is appreciated
> Thanks and Regards
> Bob
>
Related resources
August 12, 2005 10:46:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

BH2 wrote:

> Hi guys,
> don't know what I have done but, web pages keep opening up when I haven't
> clicked a link. When I am on my computer not on IE, web pages keep opening
> up, the main ones are http://ad.yeildmanager.com and www.screensavers.com
> how do I get rid of them. I have ad aware and spybot s&d, but do not seem
> to stop them, your help is appreciated
> Thanks and Regards
> Bob
>
>

Contrary to pcbutts1 advice, which he has been told many times by many
folks here not to give, please don't post HiJackThis logs here. There
are other forums for this with the experts in malware removal.

Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:46:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You are not the boss, You do not moderate this group, you do not own this
group, you have no say so what I do or anybody does so stop trying. How many
times do I have to tell you that. Stop confusing the user. Stop sending
users to other groups for issues that can be fixed right here. You are not
helping.

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o 8Pr651nFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> BH2 wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>> don't know what I have done but, web pages keep opening up when I haven't
>> clicked a link. When I am on my computer not on IE, web pages keep
>> opening up, the main ones are http://ad.yeildmanager.com and
>> www.screensavers.com how do I get rid of them. I have ad aware and
>> spybot s&d, but do not seem to stop them, your help is appreciated
>> Thanks and Regards
>> Bob
>
> Contrary to pcbutts1 advice, which he has been told many times by many
> folks here not to give, please don't post HiJackThis logs here. There are
> other forums for this with the experts in malware removal.
>
> Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:
>
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
August 12, 2005 10:46:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

pcbutts1 wrote:

> You are not the boss, You do not moderate this group, you do not own this
> group, you have no say so what I do or anybody does so stop trying. How many
> times do I have to tell you that. Stop confusing the user. Stop sending
> users to other groups for issues that can be fixed right here. You are not
> helping.
>

I am helping the OP, saving them from listening to your bad advice.
Many of the posters in here including people who are experts in malware
removal have told you the same thing. This is not the forum for HJT logs.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 13, 2005 12:24:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"
> up, the main ones are http://ad.yeildmanager.com and www.screensavers.com
> how do I get rid of them. I have ad aware and spybot s&d, but do not seem

Try running the above in safe mode.......
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:49:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It's not the place for that stick up your ass yet there it is.

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o 15I0Y5nFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> pcbutts1 wrote:
>
>> You are not the boss, You do not moderate this group, you do not own this
>> group, you have no say so what I do or anybody does so stop trying. How
>> many times do I have to tell you that. Stop confusing the user. Stop
>> sending users to other groups for issues that can be fixed right here.
>> You are not helping.
>>
>
> I am helping the OP, saving them from listening to your bad advice. Many
> of the posters in here including people who are experts in malware removal
> have told you the same thing. This is not the forum for HJT logs.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
August 13, 2005 4:49:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

pcbutts1 wrote:

> It's not the place for that stick up your ass yet there it is.
>

Grow up and do what everyone has asked of you. Follow the conventions
in this newsgroup. You loose credibility with every post - actually you
lost all of it some time ago.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:51:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

BH2 wrote:
> Hi guys,
> don't know what I have done but, web pages keep opening up when I haven't
> clicked a link. When I am on my computer not on IE, web pages keep opening
> up, the main ones are http://ad.yeildmanager.com and www.screensavers.com
> how do I get rid of them. I have ad aware and spybot s&d, but do not seem
> to stop them, your help is appreciated
> Thanks and Regards
> Bob
>
>


To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware," such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter, Bonzai
Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but
without understanding the consequences) installed, two products that
are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even possible
to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system against most
future intrusions. I use both and generally perform manual scans every
week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

More information and assistance is available at these sites:

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The Parasite Fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm




--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 8:53:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

BH2 wrote:
>
> don't know what I have done but, web pages keep opening up when I haven't

You installed a trojan that calls webpages. It was included in a crack,
some free offer to get an ipod free, or whatever. Put 2 anti-virus
programs on a cd using another pc and then copy them, unopened, to a
folder on the infected pc.

Boot to safe mode and install and run both anti-virus programs. That
should get rid of most of the stuff. Then boot to standard mode so you
can update the anti-virus programs, get the update and run both of them
again.

> clicked a link. When I am on my computer not on IE, web pages keep opening
> up, the main ones are http://ad.yeildmanager.com and www.screensavers.com
> how do I get rid of them. I have ad aware and spybot s&d, but do not seem
> to stop them, your help is appreciated
> Thanks and Regards
> Bob

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:55:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:51:46 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

(on patches)

>You are missing a very important one:

>Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot and HijackThis:
>http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

>Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

Was this with reference to patching? Updates for scanners like
AdAware and Spybot (or traditional av) aren't patches as such; more
like fresh data necessitated by changes in thier target material.
They certainly do need to be as up to date as possible, and I update
mine just before going on site or doing a "bench" scan.

OTOH, "updates" for the more "static" defensive tools, such as
firewalls, HiJackThis and other intgration watchers, are greyer. What
they do should be static and thus not require reactive changes, in
that something written to list startup axis points should know what
all the startup entry points are.

But they may need to be genuinely patched, should malware attack them
or exploit defects within them.



>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
"If I'd known it was harmless, I'd have
killed it myself" (PKD)
>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
August 16, 2005 4:01:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Sorry, Chris....was speaking to the original poster. :o )

Besides, I stay away from your posts. <w> If I wanted to get into
something that deep, I'd rather it be a jambalaya iron kettle pot at
suppertime.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:57a1g152r08c2ij0gulef4752ctnj1b4s8@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:51:46 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> (on patches)
>
>>You are missing a very important one:
>
>>Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot and HijackThis:
>>http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>
>>Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.
>
> Was this with reference to patching? Updates for scanners like
> AdAware and Spybot (or traditional av) aren't patches as such; more
> like fresh data necessitated by changes in thier target material.
> They certainly do need to be as up to date as possible, and I update
> mine just before going on site or doing a "bench" scan.
>
> OTOH, "updates" for the more "static" defensive tools, such as
> firewalls, HiJackThis and other intgration watchers, are greyer. What
> they do should be static and thus not require reactive changes, in
> that something written to list startup axis points should know what
> all the startup entry points are.
>
> But they may need to be genuinely patched, should malware attack them
> or exploit defects within them.
>
>
>
>>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> "If I'd known it was harmless, I'd have
> killed it myself" (PKD)
>>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
!