ASUS MS238H numerous issues

SnakeTheFox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I recently purchased the ASUS MS238H and installed it just an hour ago, upgraded from my old 18.5" 16:9 Samsung. I am hooked up via VGA, not HDMI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236075
(see the specifications tab if you need any technical information about it)
Model
Brand ASUS
Model MS238H
Cabinet Color Glossy Black
Display
Screen Size 23"
Widescreen Yes
Recommended Resolution 1920 x 1080
Viewing Angle 170°(H) / 160°(V)
Pixel Pitch 0.265mm
Display Colors 16.7 Million
Brightness 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 10000000 :1 (ASCR)
Response Time 2ms(GTG)
Horizontal Refresh Rate 30 ~ 85 KHz
Vertical Refresh Rate 55 ~ 75 Hz
Connectivity
Input Video Compatibility Analog RGB, Digital
Connectors D-Sub, HDMI
D-Sub 1
DVI No
HDMI 1 x HDMI , 1 x AV Audio HDMI
Power
Complies with Energy Star
Power Consumption < 33 W
Saving Mode: < 1 W
Convenience
User Controls SPLENDID Video Preset Mode Selection
Auto. Adjustment
Brightness Adjustment
Contrast Adjustment
Input Selection
Regulatory Approvals UL/cUL, CB, CE, FCC, CCC, BSMI, Gost-R, C-Tick, MEPS, VCCI, PSE, J-MOSS, PSB,China Energy Label, RoHS, WEEE, WHQL
Stand Adjustments Tilt
Built-in TV Tuner No
HDCP Support Yes
Features Kensington lock

Ultra-slim 16.5mm Profile

LED backlight

Ring Stand with Ergo-Fit Technology

LED Touch-Sensor Buttons

Cool Star Blue Rear Bezel

Care for the Earth

Video Features:
Trace Free Technology
SPLENDID Video Intelligence Technology
SPLENDID Video Preset Modes (5 modes)
Skin-Tone Selection (3 mode)
Color Temperature Selection(5 modes)
Dimensions
Dimensions 22.30" x 16.02" x 5.94"
Weight 8.38 lbs.

Here's my setup:
Intel E7200
Nvidia Zotac 9800GT 512mb
2x2gb (4gb) generic DDR2 RAM
Windows XP 32-bit SP3
650w Earthwatts PSU
Gigabyte motherboard (unsure of exact model)
All @ stock settings/frequencies/speeds.

So far I've had 3 major problems, which I'm sure are all somehow related.

Issue one: Lots of white/gray colors seem yellow or tan-ish. For example this topic window I'm typing in is a blurry almost greenish gray and the "Topic" "Category" and "Sub-category" boxes are nearly yellow. The screen is ever so slightly fuzzy and blurry which makes me think it's a refresh rate problem; it's set at 60Hz but from the technical specs I thought it could go slightly higher (see the refresh rates in the Newegg specs). Everything seems to case a faint "shadow" for lack of a better word. This is easier seen with white text on gray background, as the text emits a faint "shadow" or "ghost" a millimeter to the right.

Issue two: FIXED (EDIT: partially fixed this issue by resetting the monitors settings a few times. I'll leave this issue here in case anybody reaches here via googling my same issue)
When set at the native resolution (1920x1080), about an 6mm (0.2in) of the viewable area on the left and right side just falls off the screen. To put that simpler I can't see part of my start menu or part of the "M" in 8:00 PM on windows clock, or almost the entire "x" at the top right of this window.

Issue three: Where the hell are the drivers? I've scoured google and ASUS website and I can't find any. If this is plug'n'play, the play part isn't working so there should be some sort of contingency plan to fix this, e.g. drivers or official tuning software. The integrated options on the monitor aren't helping, and a lot of them are "locked out" from me altering, although pitching the X and Y settings all over didn't alleviate either problem.

I'd post this on ASUS forum but like 4 out of 5 of the threads on the MS238H don't have answers yet, and none of them pertain to my particular issue.

Any help would be seriously, seriously appreciated.