Is Dual Processor Worth it?

Smee32

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
In reviews on this site, as well as others, they often show that dual processor systems do not add considerable speed, with the exception of certain optimized programs. However, I am under the impression that where multi-processor really shines is in multi-tasking, which most reviews i have found seem to gloss over.
I am a college student, and most of the time I have my email, AIM, several IE windows, an MP3 player and an word doc. open. However, i am also a gamer, so performance here is important as well.

Which would you guys recommend? Dual 2600 MP's with the old 760MPX chipset, or a 2800 XP with nforce2 / 3.06 P4 (kind of halfway to dual) with canterwood/springdale?

Common to all configs is a Radeon 9700/9800, premo sound, etc.

Thanks for you help!
ps hope this isnt too old hat...

you would not benefit at al lfrom dual processing. You barely touch the processing power of a 2ghz pentium4.

The only people who benefit from dual processing are people that do intense video editing and encoding, 3d animation and modeling, and running a server using windows 2000 server.

For you a pentium 4 2ghz or an amd 2000+ with 512MB of RAM and your gaming hardware would be sufficient. Anything more is up to you but dual processing will actually degrade your performance because you don't do anything that would even remotely be used that is optimized for dual processing.

You don't do anything with your computer to warrant dual processing.

As far as performance, the only thing you need as a gamer is a decent screen, very good video card, and decent cpu speed. a 2.4ghz 533fsb would be more then you need.

to answer your question, no it isn't worth it for you for what you do.

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I'm pretty much with the crowd on this one. I use a dual cpu rig and love it, but as mentioned I do video encoding and editing a fair bit. For me, 2 cpus really was needed.

dual cpu machines are much 'nicer' to use - they run more smoothly and you spend less time with apps. fighting and such (difficult to describe) however you pay a lot of money if all you get is nice-ness. If you are not a heavy encoder or a graphic designer I'd spend the money on fast RAM, decent video and a good monitor instead.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Ever watch the CPU utilization bar while you use your PC? You'll notice that the CPU barely rises to 15% for opening, closing, and operation of most normal Apps. Therefore like PeteB was saying when different Apps were calling on the CPU simultaneously (spiking) you'd benefit from the dual.

While I am admitedly intrigued by the prospect of having a dual CPU box, I don't think you'd really benefit from it like you would with that P4 3.06 and Canterwood combo for what you plan on using it for.

That combination will SMOKE the 760MPX for any non-REALLY intensive Apps (intensive being video editing and encoding). I too have my IM, multiple IE windows, Excel files open at the same time and the greatest factor involved is memory. Good RAM (512mb is awesome) with that combo will give you the best machine for you.

I use a T-bred 2100 clocked at 2340 (13x180) paired with 512mb's of PC2700 Samsung and it's great with multiple normal Apps. For intensive games like RTCW and UT2003 I typically close most other programs anyway, like IM which can cause instability (at least in my box).

<font color=purple><i>If I had a notch on my belt for every PC I'd destroyed, I'd have a really crappy looking belt</i></font color=purple>