TECH: Control Source for Modification to Pin (Off in attra..

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can help me out, I am working on a Enhancement
for my HSII which someone has already conceived however I want to make some
changes to the way it works.

The Enhancement is the adding of a real traffic light to the pin to work
with the one inside the game, I have the schematic from the designer on how
to control it however his design has it working in attract mode which I
don't want.

What I would like to know is can someone tell me of a point in a WPC-95
where I can get a signal from to drive a Optocoupler (MOC3010) to in turn
drive a Triac to switch the Enhancement Off during Attract Mode and On
during Play Mode, I am sure there is a part of the Machine that powers down
in Attract but I have been going over and over my Schematics and cant seem
to find anything and I don't really want to start probing around my boards
because I really don't know where to begin looking.

If anyone has some ideas I would like to hear them, thanks in advance.

Kevin
9 answers Last reply
More about tech control source modification attra

    Sojourner353 wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just wondering if someone can help me out, I am working on a Enhancement
    > for my HSII which someone has already conceived however I want to make some
    > changes to the way it works.
    >
    > The Enhancement is the adding of a real traffic light to the pin to work
    > with the one inside the game, I have the schematic from the designer on how
    > to control it however his design has it working in attract mode which I
    > don't want.
    >
    > What I would like to know is can someone tell me of a point in a WPC-95
    > where I can get a signal from to drive a Optocoupler (MOC3010) to in turn
    > drive a Triac to switch the Enhancement Off during Attract Mode and On
    > during Play Mode, I am sure there is a part of the Machine that powers down
    > in Attract but I have been going over and over my Schematics and cant seem
    > to find anything and I don't really want to start probing around my boards
    > because I really don't know where to begin looking.
    >
    > If anyone has some ideas I would like to hear them, thanks in advance.
    >
    > Kevin

    Hi Kevin.

    You can use the flipper relay enable signal on the power driver board as
    the replay is only enabled during game-play. The signal is designated
    'T7' and leaves the board at J111 pin 3. Since is is a TTL level signal,
    put a small gate or small signal transistor between T7 and the optocoupler.

    Clive
    ---
    Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

    The Coin-Op Cauldron
    405 Wild Wing Way
    Easley, SC 29642
    (864)238-1707
    http://www.coinopcauldron.com

    That's a tough one. I was thinking maybe you could hook it to the GI
    circuit with a comparator to sense the GI powersaver. That would
    unfortunately turn it off during the game too if the GI is ever dimmed.

    (is HS2 WPC-95?)

    John

    You might try contacting Joel at the Pinball Lizard:

    http://www.pbliz.com/id20.htm

    He did this very mod quite some time ago. Also
    designed a board, but it wasn't offered for sale.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "Sojourner353" <sojourner@dodo.com.au> wrote in message news:42bf1c57$1@news.comindico.com.au...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just wondering if someone can help me out, I am working on a Enhancement
    > for my HSII which someone has already conceived however I want to make some
    > changes to the way it works.
    >
    > The Enhancement is the adding of a real traffic light to the pin to work
    > with the one inside the game, I have the schematic from the designer on how
    > to control it however his design has it working in attract mode which I
    > don't want.
    >
    > What I would like to know is can someone tell me of a point in a WPC-95
    > where I can get a signal from to drive a Optocoupler (MOC3010) to in turn
    > drive a Triac to switch the Enhancement Off during Attract Mode and On
    > during Play Mode, I am sure there is a part of the Machine that powers down
    > in Attract but I have been going over and over my Schematics and cant seem
    > to find anything and I don't really want to start probing around my boards
    > because I really don't know where to begin looking.
    >
    > If anyone has some ideas I would like to hear them, thanks in advance.
    >
    > Kevin

    No, it's WPC-89

    --
    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    "PT" <zeecarr1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > That's a tough one. I was thinking maybe you could hook it to the GI
    > circuit with a comparator to sense the GI powersaver. That would
    > unfortunately turn it off during the game too if the GI is ever dimmed.
    >
    > (is HS2 WPC-95?)
    >
    > John

    My mistake sorry, WPC not WPC-95

    "PT" <zeecarr1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > That's a tough one. I was thinking maybe you could hook it to the GI
    > circuit with a comparator to sense the GI powersaver. That would
    > unfortunately turn it off during the game too if the GI is ever dimmed.
    >
    > (is HS2 WPC-95?)
    >
    > John

    Would I not be able to drive a Triac directly using this source for
    control.

    Sojourner353 wrote:
    > Would I not be able to drive a Triac directly using this source for
    > control.

    No. I would suggest refering the control signal information back the
    original designer of your triac circuit and have them make a suitable
    interface (with some added protection for the driver board logic).

    Clive

    > "Coin-Op Cauldron (Clive)" <Clivejonesen@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Sojourner353 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Just wondering if someone can help me out, I am working on a
    >>>Enhancement for my HSII which someone has already conceived however I
    >>>want to make some changes to the way it works.
    >>>
    >>> The Enhancement is the adding of a real traffic light to the pin to
    >>>work with the one inside the game, I have the schematic from the designer
    >>>on how to control it however his design has it working in attract mode
    >>>which I don't want.
    >>>
    >>> What I would like to know is can someone tell me of a point in a
    >>>WPC-95 where I can get a signal from to drive a Optocoupler (MOC3010) to
    >>>in turn drive a Triac to switch the Enhancement Off during Attract Mode
    >>>and On during Play Mode, I am sure there is a part of the Machine that
    >>>powers down in Attract but I have been going over and over my Schematics
    >>>and cant seem to find anything and I don't really want to start probing
    >>>around my boards because I really don't know where to begin looking.
    >>>
    >>> If anyone has some ideas I would like to hear them, thanks in
    >>>advance.
    >>>
    >>> Kevin
    >>
    >>Hi Kevin.
    >>
    >>You can use the flipper relay enable signal on the power driver board as
    >>the replay is only enabled during game-play. The signal is designated 'T7'
    >>and leaves the board at J111 pin 3. Since is is a TTL level signal, put a
    >>small gate or small signal transistor between T7 and the optocoupler.
    >>
    >>Clive
    >>---
    >>Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...
    >>
    >> The Coin-Op Cauldron
    >> 405 Wild Wing Way
    >> Easley, SC 29642
    >> (864)238-1707
    >> http://www.coinopcauldron.com

    --
    ---
    Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

    The Coin-Op Cauldron
    405 Wild Wing Way
    Easley, SC 29642
    (864)238-1707
    http://www.coinopcauldron.com

    These are the threads that make RGP worthwile :-)
    > My mistake sorry, WPC not WPC-95
    >
    > "PT" <zeecarr1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > That's a tough one. I was thinking maybe you could hook it to the GI
    > > circuit with a comparator to sense the GI powersaver. That would
    > > unfortunately turn it off during the game too if the GI is ever dimmed.
    > >
    > > (is HS2 WPC-95?)
    > >
    > > John

    Ok thanks, I will send him some info and see what he comes up with.

    > Sojourner353 wrote:
    >> Would I not be able to drive a Triac directly using this source for
    >> control.
    >
    > No. I would suggest refering the control signal information back the
    > original designer of your triac circuit and have them make a suitable
    > interface (with some added protection for the driver board logic).
    >
    > Clive
    >

    >> "Coin-Op Cauldron (Clive)" <Clivejonesen@netscape.net> wrote in message

    >>>Hi Kevin.
    >>>
    >>>You can use the flipper relay enable signal on the power driver board as
    >>>the replay is only enabled during game-play. The signal is designated
    >>>'T7' and leaves the board at J111 pin 3. Since is is a TTL level signal,
    >>>put a small gate or small signal transistor between T7 and the
    >>>optocoupler.
    >>>
    >>>Clive
    >>>---
    >>>Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...