coloring of file names

August 12, 2005 9:17:25 AM

When I open a folder, some of the file names are listed in blue and some are
in standard black. It seems, the blus ones are ones that I have not accessed
in awhile. How do I turn off this feature? XP SP2, Office 2003SP1

More about : coloring file names

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:24:52 PM

Blue indicates compressed folders & files. It's a function of Disk
Cleanup. By turning off - do you mean the color shown or the
compression of the folders/files themselves ?

The color option is found in Explorer's Tools, Folder Options,
View (TAB) Scroll to the end of the options listing and uncheck
"Show Encrypted or compressed NTFS files in Color".

To disable Disk Cleanup requires addition of a Registry Key
called "NoRun" and a value of 1 added to the Desktop/CleanupWiz
in your User Profile.

"Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I open a folder, some of the file names are listed in blue and some
> are
> in standard black. It seems, the blus ones are ones that I have not
> accessed
> in awhile. How do I turn off this feature? XP SP2, Office 2003SP1
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:29:16 PM

Old Bob wrote:
> When I open a folder, some of the file names are listed in blue and some are
> in standard black. It seems, the blus ones are ones that I have not accessed
> in awhile. How do I turn off this feature? XP SP2, Office 2003SP1

What feature do you want to turn off? Blue files are compressed files.
Old files get compressed by the disk cleanup wizard. So do you want
to turn off the feature that makes compressed files show in a different
color, or do you want to stop compressing old files?

If the latter, don't run disk cleanup or if you do run it, remove the
check from Compress old files.

If the former, open Explorer and select Tools, Folder Options. Go to
the View tab and scroll down in the list of Advanced settings and remove
the check from "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color."
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

August 12, 2005 12:29:17 PM

I just did not want them to show in color..I opened MY COMPUTER to find the
options you said and unchecked--all fine now..Thank You.

!