coloring of file names

When I open a folder, some of the file names are listed in blue and some are
in standard black. It seems, the blus ones are ones that I have not accessed
in awhile. How do I turn off this feature? XP SP2, Office 2003SP1
3 answers Last reply
More about coloring file names

    Blue indicates compressed folders & files. It's a function of Disk
    Cleanup. By turning off - do you mean the color shown or the
    compression of the folders/files themselves ?

    The color option is found in Explorer's Tools, Folder Options,
    View (TAB) Scroll to the end of the options listing and uncheck
    "Show Encrypted or compressed NTFS files in Color".

    To disable Disk Cleanup requires addition of a Registry Key
    called "NoRun" and a value of 1 added to the Desktop/CleanupWiz
    in your User Profile.

    Old Bob wrote:
    > When I open a folder, some of the file names are listed in blue and some are
    > in standard black. It seems, the blus ones are ones that I have not accessed
    > in awhile. How do I turn off this feature? XP SP2, Office 2003SP1

    What feature do you want to turn off? Blue files are compressed files.
    Old files get compressed by the disk cleanup wizard. So do you want
    to turn off the feature that makes compressed files show in a different
    color, or do you want to stop compressing old files?

    If the latter, don't run disk cleanup or if you do run it, remove the
    check from Compress old files.

    If the former, open Explorer and select Tools, Folder Options. Go to
    the View tab and scroll down in the list of Advanced settings and remove
    the check from "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color."
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    I just did not want them to show in color..I opened MY COMPUTER to find the
    options you said and unchecked--all fine now..Thank You.

    "Tom Porterfield" wrote:

    > Old Bob wrote:
    > > When I open a folder, some of the file names are listed in blue and some are
    > > in standard black. It seems, the blus ones are ones that I have not accessed
    > > in awhile. How do I turn off this feature? XP SP2, Office 2003SP1
    >
    > What feature do you want to turn off? Blue files are compressed files.
    > Old files get compressed by the disk cleanup wizard. So do you want
    > to turn off the feature that makes compressed files show in a different
    > color, or do you want to stop compressing old files?
    >
    > If the latter, don't run disk cleanup or if you do run it, remove the
    > check from Compress old files.
    >
    > If the former, open Explorer and select Tools, Folder Options. Go to
    > the View tab and scroll down in the list of Advanced settings and remove
    > the check from "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color."
    > --
    > Tom Porterfield
    > MS-MVP Windows
    > http://support.telop.org
    >
    > Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Microsoft Windows XP