Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Internet Explorer Information Bar not working :-(

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:40:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

OK, new version of WindowsUpdate. Same problem as with OfficeUpdate.

It says that it cannot install the ActiveX and asks me to allow this
in the "Internet Explorer Information Bar", but that is not showing.

Further "*.microsoft.com" is in the "Trusted Zone" and all ActiveX
should be installed anyway. But I can't get it working.

Same thing with my office laptop (but my office desktop works :-)

Have disabled all anti-viruses, proxies etc. Can ZA interfer?
Can the "immunization" of Spybot S&D interfer (have tried removing,
but that didn't help anything either). And KB does not help :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:40:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ditto here - same problem with WindowsUpdate site and no
Information Bar appears to allow the ActiveX Controls to be
installed which says requires. Also put WinUpdate site in
Trusted Zone which didn't help, nor any of the troubleshooting
links suggested. Also, never see Information Bar lately to permit
or disallow downloads from any site. This has just recently occurred
and never had any problems with WindowsUpdate previously.

Any ideas why Information Bar doesn't show?


"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
news:iN0Le.2614$jA4.1543@amstwist00...
> OK, new version of WindowsUpdate. Same problem as with OfficeUpdate.
>
> It says that it cannot install the ActiveX and asks me to allow this
> in the "Internet Explorer Information Bar", but that is not showing.
>
> Further "*.microsoft.com" is in the "Trusted Zone" and all ActiveX
> should be installed anyway. But I can't get it working.
>
> Same thing with my office laptop (but my office desktop works :-)
>
> Have disabled all anti-viruses, proxies etc. Can ZA interfer?
> Can the "immunization" of Spybot S&D interfer (have tried removing,
> but that didn't help anything either). And KB does not help :-(
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:05:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What version of ZA? Does disabling ZA help?
--
Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> OK, new version of WindowsUpdate. Same problem as with OfficeUpdate.
>
> It says that it cannot install the ActiveX and asks me to allow this
> in the "Internet Explorer Information Bar", but that is not showing.
>
> Further "*.microsoft.com" is in the "Trusted Zone" and all ActiveX
> should be installed anyway. But I can't get it working.
>
> Same thing with my office laptop (but my office desktop works :-)
>
> Have disabled all anti-viruses, proxies etc. Can ZA interfer?
> Can the "immunization" of Spybot S&D interfer (have tried removing,
> but that didn't help anything either). And KB does not help :-(
Related resources
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:38:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Fizzikal skrev:

> links suggested. Also, never see Information Bar lately to permit
> or disallow downloads from any site. This has just recently occurred
> and never had any problems with WindowsUpdate previously.

Exacly same as on 2 out of 3 of my computers :-)

And when I download programs (like .exe files) I get a standard
warning dialog box (not an information bar as I should, right)

Seems like the information bar has stopped working.

We need a way to reinstall the information bar!

> Any ideas why Information Bar doesn't show?

Nope. Hope someone else have some ideas.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:26:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

PA Bear skrev:

> What version of ZA? Does disabling ZA help?

6.0.631.003

It's a standard ZA, firewall only, all else off.
Also tried disabling Avast! antivirus and WebWasher
(*.microsoft.com is routed passed any proxies anyway)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:28:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

PA Bear skrev:

> What version of ZA? Does disabling ZA help?

BTW: Disabling firewall didn't help.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 11:21:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Sent on-line message about WinUpdate error message to Microsoft
& received reply back with instructions of what to check. 1st suggestion
worked which was - Open Internet Explorer>Tools>Certificates>
Untrusted Publishers. Remove any entries listed there.

Microsoft was listed and removed (have no idea why there). Went back
to WindowsUpdates and now working as should with no error messages.
Posted earlier had same problem & perhaps above might be of help to you
also.


"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
news:iN0Le.2614$jA4.1543@amstwist00...
> OK, new version of WindowsUpdate. Same problem as with OfficeUpdate.
>
> It says that it cannot install the ActiveX and asks me to allow this
> in the "Internet Explorer Information Bar", but that is not showing.
>
> Further "*.microsoft.com" is in the "Trusted Zone" and all ActiveX
> should be installed anyway. But I can't get it working.
>
> Same thing with my office laptop (but my office desktop works :-)
>
> Have disabled all anti-viruses, proxies etc. Can ZA interfer?
> Can the "immunization" of Spybot S&D interfer (have tried removing,
> but that didn't help anything either). And KB does not help :-(
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:28:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Fizzikal skrev:

> Microsoft was listed and removed (have no idea why there). Went back
> to WindowsUpdates and now working as should with no error messages.

I also have two outdated (expired 2002) Microsoft sertificates there.
But they are there to stop sites pretending to be Microsoft I guess.
Why would MS use sertificates that expired in 2002 anyway :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:31:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> Microsoft was listed and removed (have no idea why there). Went back
> to WindowsUpdates and now working as should with no error messages.
> Posted earlier had same problem & perhaps above might be of help to you

Didn't help, still no "Information bar". Anywhere. Doesn't appear at
all. And then I can't dwonload any ActiveX'es, and can't use neither
the new Microsoft Update, or Office Update. Windows Update works, but
that probably is because the ActiveX allready is on my system...

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:46:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Following was 2nd suggestion to check if removing all entries under
Untrusted Publishers didn't work. Even though Windows Update and
Microsoft Update (now includes Office Updates) all ok now, I did the 2nd
suggestion and all succeeded. Also have noticed InfoBar does show up now
for some other downloads and not necessary for others.

This was 2nd suggestion got from MS to try if 1st hadn't worked. Hope
helps.

- Register Windows Update components.
- 1. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL" (without the
quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
- 2. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 INITPKI.DLL" (without the
quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
- 3. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 MSSIP32.DLL" (without the
quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
- 4. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL" (without the
quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
- 5. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 WINTRUST.DLL" (without the
quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded

..



"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
news:nYFLe.140$ME1.72@amstwist00...
>> Microsoft was listed and removed (have no idea why there). Went back
>> to WindowsUpdates and now working as should with no error messages.
>> Posted earlier had same problem & perhaps above might be of help to you
>
> Didn't help, still no "Information bar". Anywhere. Doesn't appear at
> all. And then I can't dwonload any ActiveX'es, and can't use neither
> the new Microsoft Update, or Office Update. Windows Update works, but
> that probably is because the ActiveX allready is on my system...
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:50:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Fizzikal skrev:

> - Register Windows Update components.
> - 1. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL" (without the
> quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
> - 2. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 INITPKI.DLL" (without the
> quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
> - 3. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 MSSIP32.DLL" (without the
> quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
> - 4. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL" (without the
> quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
> - 5. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 WINTRUST.DLL" (without the
> quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded

Got this from Microsoft as well :-(

Got some new desription now, havn't tried that yet

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 4:35:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi all,

I have exact the same problem with info bar:
It pops up, als a line in top of IE, as it does usual.
But when I click on it - can't select anything except "Information Bar
HELP"

what have I done so far:
I've reset the IE security settings to "Default".
And I've registered all those mentioned DDL's... successfuly.

ANY HELP is welcome - luky@gmx.ch

Thanks in advance - your help is highly apprechiated!

Lukas from Switzerland, Basel
March 28, 2009 2:56:50 AM

go to tools>manage add-ons and find some from microsoft that are disabled, make them enabled. be careful that you know they are from microsoft. they may be spyware, so you are taking a risk.. but anyway... this solved my problem of no info bar when no other advice worked.
April 14, 2009 6:50:54 PM

Tried all three recommended fixes in IE7. Third one worked! After enabling MUWebControl Class add-on, Microsoft Update worked without re-starting IE and without prompting to install an ActiveX control. It was as if the control had been installed, IE knew it, but kept prompting without displaying the Information Bar. Thanks for the help!

-J
November 10, 2009 6:56:35 PM

I discovered the same problem when trying to install Windows XP Service Pack 3.
Have tried all of the suggestions above. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
June 4, 2011 11:54:36 PM

Same thing here. I NEED to download Adobe Flash Player 10 but it says to wait for the information bar to show up, and it didn't.I remembered a small pop up thing on the bottom-left of my computer screen,and it said that I've disable the pop-up bar and to undisable it,I need to press Ctrl and a letter..I think t was D or some other buttons on the keyboard.

(By the way, I'm using 32-bit Internet explorer to download the Flash Player so I can watch videos,I tried to download it,but it didn't worked. It said that the Instalation had failed, something like that. Can anyone help me on this!?If you can help me,PLEASE DO!)





!