Internet Explorer Information Bar not working :-(

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

OK, new version of WindowsUpdate. Same problem as with OfficeUpdate.

It says that it cannot install the ActiveX and asks me to allow this
in the "Internet Explorer Information Bar", but that is not showing.

Further "*.microsoft.com" is in the "Trusted Zone" and all ActiveX
should be installed anyway. But I can't get it working.

Same thing with my office laptop (but my office desktop works :-)

Have disabled all anti-viruses, proxies etc. Can ZA interfer?
Can the "immunization" of Spybot S&D interfer (have tried removing,
but that didn't help anything either). And KB does not help :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Ditto here - same problem with WindowsUpdate site and no
    Information Bar appears to allow the ActiveX Controls to be
    installed which says requires. Also put WinUpdate site in
    Trusted Zone which didn't help, nor any of the troubleshooting
    links suggested. Also, never see Information Bar lately to permit
    or disallow downloads from any site. This has just recently occurred
    and never had any problems with WindowsUpdate previously.

    Any ideas why Information Bar doesn't show?

    "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    > OK, new version of WindowsUpdate. Same problem as with OfficeUpdate.
    >
    > It says that it cannot install the ActiveX and asks me to allow this
    > in the "Internet Explorer Information Bar", but that is not showing.
    >
    > Further "*.microsoft.com" is in the "Trusted Zone" and all ActiveX
    > should be installed anyway. But I can't get it working.
    >
    > Same thing with my office laptop (but my office desktop works :-)
    >
    > Have disabled all anti-viruses, proxies etc. Can ZA interfer?
    > Can the "immunization" of Spybot S&D interfer (have tried removing,
    > but that didn't help anything either). And KB does not help :-(
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    > WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    What version of ZA? Does disabling ZA help?
    --
    Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    > OK, new version of WindowsUpdate. Same problem as with OfficeUpdate.
    >
    > It says that it cannot install the ActiveX and asks me to allow this
    > in the "Internet Explorer Information Bar", but that is not showing.
    >
    > Further "*.microsoft.com" is in the "Trusted Zone" and all ActiveX
    > should be installed anyway. But I can't get it working.
    >
    > Same thing with my office laptop (but my office desktop works :-)
    >
    > Have disabled all anti-viruses, proxies etc. Can ZA interfer?
    > Can the "immunization" of Spybot S&D interfer (have tried removing,
    > but that didn't help anything either). And KB does not help :-(
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Fizzikal skrev:

    > links suggested. Also, never see Information Bar lately to permit
    > or disallow downloads from any site. This has just recently occurred
    > and never had any problems with WindowsUpdate previously.

    Exacly same as on 2 out of 3 of my computers :-)

    And when I download programs (like .exe files) I get a standard
    warning dialog box (not an information bar as I should, right)

    Seems like the information bar has stopped working.

    We need a way to reinstall the information bar!

    > Any ideas why Information Bar doesn't show?

    Nope. Hope someone else have some ideas.

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    PA Bear skrev:

    > What version of ZA? Does disabling ZA help?

    6.0.631.003

    It's a standard ZA, firewall only, all else off.
    Also tried disabling Avast! antivirus and WebWasher
    (*.microsoft.com is routed passed any proxies anyway)

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    PA Bear skrev:

    > What version of ZA? Does disabling ZA help?

    BTW: Disabling firewall didn't help.

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Sent on-line message about WinUpdate error message to Microsoft
    & received reply back with instructions of what to check. 1st suggestion
    worked which was - Open Internet Explorer>Tools>Certificates>
    Untrusted Publishers. Remove any entries listed there.

    Microsoft was listed and removed (have no idea why there). Went back
    to WindowsUpdates and now working as should with no error messages.
    Posted earlier had same problem & perhaps above might be of help to you
    also.

    "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    > OK, new version of WindowsUpdate. Same problem as with OfficeUpdate.
    >
    > It says that it cannot install the ActiveX and asks me to allow this
    > in the "Internet Explorer Information Bar", but that is not showing.
    >
    > Further "*.microsoft.com" is in the "Trusted Zone" and all ActiveX
    > should be installed anyway. But I can't get it working.
    >
    > Same thing with my office laptop (but my office desktop works :-)
    >
    > Have disabled all anti-viruses, proxies etc. Can ZA interfer?
    > Can the "immunization" of Spybot S&D interfer (have tried removing,
    > but that didn't help anything either). And KB does not help :-(
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    > WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Fizzikal skrev:

    > Microsoft was listed and removed (have no idea why there). Went back
    > to WindowsUpdates and now working as should with no error messages.

    I also have two outdated (expired 2002) Microsoft sertificates there.
    But they are there to stop sites pretending to be Microsoft I guess.
    Why would MS use sertificates that expired in 2002 anyway :-(

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Microsoft was listed and removed (have no idea why there). Went back
    > to WindowsUpdates and now working as should with no error messages.
    > Posted earlier had same problem & perhaps above might be of help to you

    Didn't help, still no "Information bar". Anywhere. Doesn't appear at
    all. And then I can't dwonload any ActiveX'es, and can't use neither
    the new Microsoft Update, or Office Update. Windows Update works, but
    that probably is because the ActiveX allready is on my system...

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Following was 2nd suggestion to check if removing all entries under
    Untrusted Publishers didn't work. Even though Windows Update and
    Microsoft Update (now includes Office Updates) all ok now, I did the 2nd
    suggestion and all succeeded. Also have noticed InfoBar does show up now
    for some other downloads and not necessary for others.

    This was 2nd suggestion got from MS to try if 1st hadn't worked. Hope
    helps.

    - Register Windows Update components.
    - 1. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL" (without the
    quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
    - 2. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 INITPKI.DLL" (without the
    quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
    - 3. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 MSSIP32.DLL" (without the
    quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
    - 4. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL" (without the
    quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
    - 5. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 WINTRUST.DLL" (without the
    quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded

    ..

    >> Microsoft was listed and removed (have no idea why there). Went back
    >> to WindowsUpdates and now working as should with no error messages.
    >> Posted earlier had same problem & perhaps above might be of help to you
    >
    > Didn't help, still no "Information bar". Anywhere. Doesn't appear at
    > all. And then I can't dwonload any ActiveX'es, and can't use neither
    > the new Microsoft Update, or Office Update. Windows Update works, but
    > that probably is because the ActiveX allready is on my system...
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    > WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Fizzikal skrev:

    > - Register Windows Update components.
    > - 1. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL" (without the
    > quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
    > - 2. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 INITPKI.DLL" (without the
    > quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
    > - 3. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 MSSIP32.DLL" (without the
    > quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
    > - 4. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL" (without the
    > quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
    > - 5. Click on Start, Run and type "REGSVR32 WINTRUST.DLL" (without the
    > quotations). You should see a popup message that this process succeeded

    Got this from Microsoft as well :-(

    Got some new desription now, havn't tried that yet

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Hi all,

    I have exact the same problem with info bar:
    It pops up, als a line in top of IE, as it does usual.
    But when I click on it - can't select anything except "Information Bar
    HELP"

    what have I done so far:
    I've reset the IE security settings to "Default".
    And I've registered all those mentioned DDL's... successfuly.

    ANY HELP is welcome - luky@gmx.ch

    Thanks in advance - your help is highly apprechiated!

    Lukas from Switzerland, Basel
  12. go to tools>manage add-ons and find some from microsoft that are disabled, make them enabled. be careful that you know they are from microsoft. they may be spyware, so you are taking a risk.. but anyway... this solved my problem of no info bar when no other advice worked.
  13. Tried all three recommended fixes in IE7. Third one worked! After enabling MUWebControl Class add-on, Microsoft Update worked without re-starting IE and without prompting to install an ActiveX control. It was as if the control had been installed, IE knew it, but kept prompting without displaying the Information Bar. Thanks for the help!

    -J
  14. I discovered the same problem when trying to install Windows XP Service Pack 3.
    Have tried all of the suggestions above. Any other ideas?

    Thanks in advance!
  15. Same thing here. I NEED to download Adobe Flash Player 10 but it says to wait for the information bar to show up, and it didn't.I remembered a small pop up thing on the bottom-left of my computer screen,and it said that I've disable the pop-up bar and to undisable it,I need to press Ctrl and a letter..I think t was D or some other buttons on the keyboard.

    (By the way, I'm using 32-bit Internet explorer to download the Flash Player so I can watch videos,I tried to download it,but it didn't worked. It said that the Instalation had failed, something like that. Can anyone help me on this!?If you can help me,PLEASE DO!)
  16. No Information Bar to enable ActiveX for Updates.
    It finally appeared (whole afternoon fiddling in vain) when I clicked "Security Updates"
    at http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.aspx
    ?? worth a try....

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP