I'd like to install my old hard drive as a slave drive on new computer but
there's no middle connector on IDE cable and I can't get new IDE 'till
Monday. Is it possible to connect it to Dvd drive?

Sorry if this topic shouldn't be here (seeing how it's hardware question),
but I'm using XP and thought someone could help.

Thank you

Hello,

Your DVD drive is most probably connected to the secondary IDE channel. You can disconnect the DVD
drive (the IDE cable and the power cable) and connect your hard drive instead. Make sure the jumper
settings are set as 'slave' on the hard-drive .

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"TheRookie" <TheRookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to install my old hard drive as a slave drive on new computer but
> there's no middle connector on IDE cable and I can't get new IDE 'till
> Monday. Is it possible to connect it to Dvd drive?
>
> Sorry if this topic shouldn't be here (seeing how it's hardware question),
> but I'm using XP and thought someone could help.
>
> Thank you

Thanks Anando, you've been really helpful.

One more thing;

No jumpers is the slave setting, so do I just remove jumper pins and leave
it like that or do I have to connect it to something? There's IDE connector,
power cable, jumpers?

Thanks again

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Your DVD drive is most probably connected to the secondary IDE channel. You can disconnect the DVD
> drive (the IDE cable and the power cable) and connect your hard drive instead. Make sure the jumper
> settings are set as 'slave' on the hard-drive .
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>

> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "TheRookie" <TheRookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like to install my old hard drive as a slave drive on new computer but
> > there's no middle connector on IDE cable and I can't get new IDE 'till
> > Monday. Is it possible to connect it to Dvd drive?
> >
> > Sorry if this topic shouldn't be here (seeing how it's hardware question),
> > but I'm using XP and thought someone could help.
> >
> > Thank you

There should be a label on the hard-drive describing the various jumper settings. Many drives have
'no-jumper' as the slave setting. If thats the case, you can leave the jumper out.

--

> Thanks Anando, you've been really helpful.
>
> One more thing;
>
> No jumpers is the slave setting, so do I just remove jumper pins and leave
> it like that or do I have to connect it to something? There's IDE connector,
> power cable, jumpers?
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Your DVD drive is most probably connected to the secondary IDE channel. You can disconnect the
>> DVD
>> drive (the IDE cable and the power cable) and connect your hard drive instead. Make sure the
>> jumper
>> settings are set as 'slave' on the hard-drive .
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>

>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "TheRookie" <TheRookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'd like to install my old hard drive as a slave drive on new computer but
>> > there's no middle connector on IDE cable and I can't get new IDE 'till
>> > Monday. Is it possible to connect it to Dvd drive?
>> >
>> > Sorry if this topic shouldn't be here (seeing how it's hardware question),
>> > but I'm using XP and thought someone could help.
>> >
>> > Thank you

If you are to place a hard drive as the "sole" drive on the second IDE
channel, would it be better to set it as "master" instead of "slave"? Each
IDE channel requires one master drive.

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> There should be a label on the hard-drive describing the various jumper
> settings. Many drives have 'no-jumper' as the slave setting. If thats the
> case, you can leave the jumper out.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>

> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "TheRookie" <TheRookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Anando, you've been really helpful.
>>
>> One more thing;
>>
>> No jumpers is the slave setting, so do I just remove jumper pins and
>> leave
>> it like that or do I have to connect it to something? There's IDE
>> connector,
>> power cable, jumpers?
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Your DVD drive is most probably connected to the secondary IDE channel.
>>> You can disconnect the DVD
>>> drive (the IDE cable and the power cable) and connect your hard drive
>>> instead. Make sure the jumper
>>> settings are set as 'slave' on the hard-drive .
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Anando
>>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>> http://www.mvps.org
>>>

>>> Folder customizations
>>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>>
>>> Protect your PC!
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>>

>>> "TheRookie" <TheRookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Sole drive on an IDE channel IS the Master.

Yves Leclerc wrote:

> If you are to place a hard drive as the "sole" drive on the second IDE
> channel, would it be better to set it as "master" instead of "slave"? Each
> IDE channel requires one master drive.
>

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>There should be a label on the hard-drive describing the various jumper
>>settings. Many drives have 'no-jumper' as the slave setting. If thats the
>>case, you can leave the jumper out.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Anando
>>Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>>http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>http://www.mvps.org
>>

>>Folder customizations
>>http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>>Protect your PC!
>>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>>"TheRookie" <TheRookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Thanks Anando, you've been really helpful.
>>>
>>>One more thing;
>>>
>>>No jumpers is the slave setting, so do I just remove jumper pins and
>>>leave
>>>it like that or do I have to connect it to something? There's IDE
>>>connector,
>>>power cable, jumpers?
>>>
>>>Thanks again

Hello,

If only one drive is being used in a IDE channel, it should be set as a 'master'. I quote:

"When using only a single drive on a channel, there are some considerations to be aware of. Some
hard disks have only a jumper for master or slave; when the drive is being used solo on a channel it
should be set to master. Other manufacturers, notably Western Digital, actually have three settings
for their drives: master, slave, and single. The last setting is intended for use when the drive is
alone on the channel. This type of disk should be set to single, and not master, when being used
alone."

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confJumpering-c.html

Hope that helps.