Sign in with
Your question

IPS or TN @ True 120Hz or wait for LED LCD?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 30, 2010 2:40:47 PM

Primarily for gaming, allthough may eventually also be used for regular tv & Blue-ray. Which LCD should I choose? (XFX 5970)
a b 4 Gaming
January 31, 2010 6:09:04 AM

IPS. Definitely. Which models were you considering?
January 31, 2010 11:07:07 AM

The Acer gd245hq (120Hz), for the IPS haven't found any that I like except a Hazro which seems to be unavailable. Generally 24" 1920*1200 5ms response max for IPS, for around £300-400. Just stumbled onto www.prad.de so will be looking somenmore.
Related resources
January 31, 2010 2:24:43 PM

I'm thinking of the Dell U2410 or HP LP2475w.
a b 4 Gaming
January 31, 2010 2:47:47 PM

Arguably, the best large monitor for gaming is the 26" Planar PX2611w since it uses a H-IPS panel and has very low input lag (<8ms). It also has awesome colors (once properly calibrated), I recommended it to a friend who does professional graphic design.

Alas, it's price tag is close to $800...
January 31, 2010 3:06:31 PM

Ugh they are both wide gamut the Dell more so.
a b 4 Gaming
January 31, 2010 3:42:28 PM

There are very few normal gamut monitors, but they are out there. I only know of one, the NEC LCD2490WUXi, but it is over $1,000.

There are less expensive ones, but I just don't know which ones they are.
a b 4 Gaming
January 31, 2010 6:58:21 PM

cw64 said:
Ugh they are both wide gamut the Dell more so.

Is there any reason why you specifically don't want wide gamut?
February 2, 2010 12:32:10 PM

cjl said:
Is there any reason why you specifically don't want wide gamut?

Oversaturation :non: 
a b 4 Gaming
February 3, 2010 2:29:01 AM

You do know how to properly calibrate your monitor, right? Wide gamut doesn't automatically oversaturate everything.
February 3, 2010 9:00:24 AM

From what I can gather calibration may improve the effects of oversaturation, but it will still be there. I also don't fancy shelling out for a calibrator. Besides (viewing angle aside) is TN + HiFRC really that bad?
a b 4 Gaming
February 3, 2010 2:52:19 PM

^^^

Depends on what your expectations are. I pretty much have high expectations. However, high expectations generally translates to high prices. My 26" NEC and 26" Planar monitors cost me about $2,100 - $2,200 combined. They are worth far more than my primary PC.

On the other hand, I also have a 24" Asus VK246H TN panel monitor which I bought for around $220 - $230 that is connected to my HTPC. It is a monitor that is very lightly used (0 - 5 hours per week) to monitor some processes from time to time. Therefore, no real need for me to dish out $$$ for a monitor to meet my high expectations.

The Asus turns out to be a good gaming monitor because of less than 2ms of input lag. It's a nice monitor for the average consumer with less stringent standards.
a b 4 Gaming
February 4, 2010 8:43:11 PM

cw64 said:
From what I can gather calibration may improve the effects of oversaturation, but it will still be there. I also don't fancy shelling out for a calibrator. Besides (viewing angle aside) is TN + HiFRC really that bad?

Another option then is that some of the wide-gamut monitors have a setting in the menu to reduce their color space. I don't know about which other models have it, but I know the Dells have an option to reduce their color gamut to straight SRGB if you want.

Out of curiosity, have you ever used a wide gamut monitor, or are you basing this entirely off of reviews and other people's opinions?
February 5, 2010 4:02:13 PM

cjl said:
Out of curiosity, have you ever used a wide gamut monitor, or are you basing this entirely off of reviews and other people's opinions?

No I haven't. Everywhere I look it sais the same thing. Wide gamut + non colour aware apps = bad colours and oversaturation. Anyways it's pretty much a dead issue now, having ordered the NEC EA231WMi.

Cheers all
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2010 5:51:52 AM

That should be an excellent choice, and you should be quite happy.
March 9, 2010 2:06:16 AM

Yes 6 bit controller + HiFRC on a TN panel is really that bad. You won't notice the difference if you never seen a IPS panel but the difference is clear.

I have a wide gamut monitor and it is fine. Oversaturation isn't a problem. Then again what do you consider oversaturation. Compared to my TN panel which had undersaturation then you could say this is over.
April 18, 2010 6:46:58 AM

HP ZR24W 24" H-IPS (H2-Ips) ~400$
1920x1200 max res, 16:10, 5ms (grey to grey), 1000:1 Contrast ratio, 400 cd/m2 Brightness, 178° Angle, Not wide gamut. DVI, VGA, DisplayPort

NEC EA231WMI 23" e-IPS ~350$
1920x1080 max res, 16:9, 14ms (white to black), 270 cd/m2 Brightness, 178° Angle, 0.265 Pixel Pitch. DVI, D-Sub, DisplayPort

Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA 22" e-IPS ~220$
1680x1050 max res, 16:10, 6ms (grey to grey), 1000:1 Contrast Ratio, 300 cd/m2 Brightness, 178° Angle, Not Wide Gamut. DVI-D, VGA, 4 USB Port.

In my opinion, those 3 are the best price/quality monitors you can buy.
April 19, 2010 6:37:45 PM

What a coincidence. I've been researching this forum quite a bit and had narrowed my options down to these 3. As it will be used for primarily gaming, I've been trying to distinguish which of these 3 would have the least amount of ghosting, preferably none at all. Any expert opinions? Great suggestions btw Takeshi.

-I'm leaning on the HP as of now.
April 21, 2010 6:59:01 PM

After much deliberation I've purchased the HP ZR24W. Will be my first IPS so I'm really looking forward to it.
April 25, 2010 2:57:04 PM

do some monitor tests and see how the specs do.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

This site offers the best set of LCD tests available. Makes every TN panel look like crap lol.
April 27, 2010 6:03:48 PM

@chaponius

Im pretty much in the same boat as you. So do you like your new HP ZR24W? I was thinking of going for a Dell U2410 but the HP looks just as good and costs less.

Is IPS worth it for a guy like me that does mostly gaming and movie watching? I wont be doing any professional graphic work or anything.

What do you guys think IPS quality is worth it for gamers and the ghosting isn't really a problem anymore?
April 27, 2010 10:32:03 PM

The only complaint I have is that even with the brightness all the way down I still find my eyes still trying to adjust to it. I think the problem is the IPS glow, and the fact that my eyes are VERY sensitive to light, IPS glow is common and from the reviews its no worse on the HP than any other IPS. I also still have some fiddling to do with the RGB settings, I could probably get them lower to hopefully reduce the harsh effect on my eyes. However this doesnt stop me from using the monitor 10 hours a day. There is very minor blacklight bleeds in the corners which isn't very noticeable at all. The only time I notice it is in a transition black screen in the bottom left, but it doesn't bother me and I'm pretty picky about these types of things.

I've been watching DVDs, the picture is excellent, I dont see the big problem with the black levels as stated in the reviews, which seems to be the turn off when it comes to purchasing this monitor(hard forum-zr24w has an 85 page ongoing thread). But overall I'm very pleased with this monitor at this price point. My backgrounds look like real life portraits. A couple professional reviews just got released so you might want to look them up. (I dont have them on hand) All of this is based on 51 backlight hours. It is my first IPS. And for games, I noticed no ghosting at all, I play BFBC2 Which is a pretty fast FPS and noticed nothing unusual. I use it for gaming and movies almost exclusively.

I hope this was helpful, I even think this monitor wouldnt be bad at all for professional graphic work however this is my first IPS panel. With all of this being said, if money isnt an issue and you wouldnt mind exchanging your monitor due to the green/pink tint problem the Dell is having I would say go for that one as it seems the reviewers like it a bit more.(Keep in mind professional reviewers are most likely given a product with no tint/blacklight problems). So far there has been far fewer issues with the HP. Sorry for rambling, I tried to touch all the bases.

Oh and one more thing, I believe its TFTCentral that did a side by side review of the two monitors, pictures included. Good info there.
a c 212 4 Gaming
April 28, 2010 12:12:40 AM

Anyone whose interest is gaming, won't be looking for an IPS monitor... IPS strengths of wide and accurate color as well as wide viewing angles don't really come to the forefront in gaming. Now a graphics professional, photo buff yes....IPS is definitely the way to go and if you also want to spend a good amount of time gaming, the Dell U2410 is the entry point to monitors that do very well on both fronts.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/57224-3-dell-u2410

I am typing from one now (my son's).....no black or green / pink issues on this unit. My son is minoring in photography in college and games 12-16 hours a week and finds it well suits both needs. At the bargain price in the link above, it's a steal .... you have 2 more days to take advantage of it..
April 30, 2010 3:28:26 AM

Thanks for the update chaponius. I wonder if I'll also find the IPS too bright. Probably just take some getting used to.

@Jack

I'd love to get that U2410 but since I live in Canada I cant get that awesome deal. I don't know anyone in the us so I'm forced to skip the one sadly... I'm no graphic professional but like u said for an IPS monitor its great for gaming not to mention watching movies (even more if your with a friend or two).

Sry for the very late comment.
!