athlon xp1800+ "guaranteed" to 2600+

wigwam

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
overclockers in the UK are selling a modified Athlon xp1800+ which they guarantee overclocked to 2600+
it is at a very attractive price!
as it is the same price as a thoroughbred b 2100+, is it better to get this modified chip or get the stock 2100+? what i mean to ask is does the 2100+ "routinely" overclock to 2600+ equivalent or higher?
I confess i still havent got a complete handle on equating "+" ratings with actual clock speeds yet so wisers counsel much appreciated!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Operative term... "Modified".

I'd view anything that's "modified" with great suspicion, if I were you.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Look around the overclocking forum, there's a huge thread on Thoroughbred-B overclocking. 98 % of those CPUs can make it past 2.0 GHz in a breeze.

Those guys are just trying to cheat gubile overclocker wannabes off their money.

I don't think AMD would appreciate if they found out, there used to be a big market for remarked 486 & 586 back then, CPU manufacturers, along with interpol closed the chip remarkers for good.

Overclocking a chip on your own is nobody's business, but selling a remarked or modified overclocked CPU is not only bad, it's illegal.

Fok Speling Misstake

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its really nothing special.

Probably most likely a XP1700+ thats a TbredB.
most of which naturally obtain very high overclocks, particuarly the AIUHB stepping.

<b>When life hands you lemons, ask for a bottle of tequila and salt</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
So they are "guarantee" to be able to overclocked. Do these CPU come with warranty? If you have read the warranty statement clearly AMD will NOT be responsible to burnt overclocked CPU. So, this kind of claiming should be illegal and void your warranty. (though it may not be the case.)

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

TRENDING THREADS