Mac/Palm password manager

October 24, 2004 7:52:51 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Can anyone recommend a password manager for the Palm that syncs with the
Mac OSX keychain? Preferably reasonably secure (!).

How secure is the keychain anyway?

-z-

--
"I didn't expect the voice of karma to be called Bob."
-- Giles, uk.comp.sys.mac

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 24/10/04 3:52 pm, in article 1gm63pa.1vzkhlgqo5k3hN%me3@privacy.net,
"zoara" <me3@privacy.net> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a password manager for the Palm that syncs with the
> Mac OSX keychain? Preferably reasonably secure (!).
>
> How secure is the keychain anyway?

DES-128 I think. So pretty secure unless you use a dumb password.
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 3:54:47 AM

On 2004-10-24 08:52:51 -0600, me3@privacy.net (zoara) said:

> Can anyone recommend a password manager for the Palm that syncs with the
> Mac OSX keychain? Preferably reasonably secure (!).
>
> How secure is the keychain anyway?
>
> -z-

I don't know of one that syncs with the keychain.

I use Web Confidential for all my passwords, PINs, email account,
software serials, etc. You can get them separately or as a bundle. One
for the Palm, one for the Mac.

<http://www.web-confidential.com/&gt;

--
Walt Basil
www.basilweb.net

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <BDA18688.7F7F7%bingbong@spamcop.net>, Bonge Boo!
<bingbong@spamcop.net> wrote:

> On 24/10/04 3:52 pm, in article 1gm63pa.1vzkhlgqo5k3hN%me3@privacy.net,
> "zoara" <me3@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a password manager for the Palm that syncs with the
> > Mac OSX keychain? Preferably reasonably secure (!).
> >
> > How secure is the keychain anyway?
>
> DES-128 I think. So pretty secure unless you use a dumb password.

No such thing. DES is 56-bit, and crackable (if you have enough
monkeys and typewriters). The keychain uses triple-DES, which is
effectively 168 bit, and very secure (if slow).

Phil Taylor
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 8:23:12 AM

<me3@privacy.net> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a password manager for the Palm that syncs with the
> Mac OSX keychain? Preferably reasonably secure (!).
>
> How secure is the keychain anyway?

For convinence, I'd highly recommend SplashID. I have tried a number of
others on the Palm but never got happy with the others until SplashID.
It has a Mac OS X desktop apps and can be hotsync'ed with your Palm.
It's the best IMHO.

There's nothing that'll sync with OS X's Keychain.

October 26, 2004 1:21:29 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:23:12 GMT, Whytoi <whytoi@hotmail.com> said:
> In article <1gm63pa.1vzkhlgqo5k3hN%me3@privacy.net>, zoara
><me3@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a password manager for the Palm that syncs with the
>> Mac OSX keychain? Preferably reasonably secure (!).
>>
>> How secure is the keychain anyway?
>
> For convinence, I'd highly recommend SplashID. I have tried a number of
> others on the Palm but never got happy with the others until SplashID.
> It has a Mac OS X desktop apps and can be hotsync'ed with your Palm.
> It's the best IMHO.

Second that.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:07:32 AM

Phil Taylor <nothere@all.invalid> wrote:

> In article <BDA18688.7F7F7%bingbong@spamcop.net>, Bonge Boo!
> <bingbong@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > On 24/10/04 3:52 pm, in article 1gm63pa.1vzkhlgqo5k3hN%me3@privacy.net,
> > "zoara" <me3@privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone recommend a password manager for the Palm that syncs with the
> > > Mac OSX keychain? Preferably reasonably secure (!).
> > >
> > > How secure is the keychain anyway?
> >
> > DES-128 I think. So pretty secure unless you use a dumb password.
> >

> No such thing. DES is 56-bit, and crackable (if you have enough
> monkeys and typewriters). The keychain uses triple-DES, which is
> effectively 168 bit, and very secure (if slow).

OK - reassured now.

-z-

--
!