Suppressing SYSPREP At Startup?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Could someone please tell me how to suppress SYSPREP at startup?

My machine was successfully set up and configured weeks ago and is
running fine. However, this annoying screen pops-up every time I boot.

I don't think my network admins fully understand how this utility
works, as they instructed me to just 'X' it out. They say if I hit any
other button in the box, I'll lose my IP and destroy the world.

I found sysprep.exe & sysprep.ini in the /I386/ folder. Can I just
delete them?

Thanks in advance,

A_C
16 answers Last reply
More about suppressing sysprep startup
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    José Gallardo wrote:
    > Start > Run and type in "msconfig" without the quotes. Go to "Startup"
    > tab and see if there is an entry related to "Sysprep". If so, uncheck it
    > and reboot.

    Nothing under msconfig/startup, or under Services. If it were that
    simple, I wouldn't have bothered asking.

    A_C
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    From: "Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com>

    | Could someone please tell me how to suppress SYSPREP at startup?
    |
    | My machine was successfully set up and configured weeks ago and is
    | running fine. However, this annoying screen pops-up every time I boot.
    |
    | I don't think my network admins fully understand how this utility
    | works, as they instructed me to just 'X' it out. They say if I hit any
    | other button in the box, I'll lose my IP and destroy the world.
    |
    | I found sysprep.exe & sysprep.ini in the /I386/ folder. Can I just
    | delete them?
    |
    | Thanks in advance,
    |
    | A_C

    There is NO reason why SYSPREP should be running. Once Sysprep is executed it will cause a
    Mini Wizard to run when rebooted. Once that is completed the running sysprep folder and
    files are self deleted. Removing the fiiles from a i386 folder will not help.

    I suggest contacting you administration/network support personnel.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    www.fermu.com

    "Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Could someone please tell me how to suppress SYSPREP at startup?
    >
    > My machine was successfully set up and configured weeks ago and is
    > running fine. However, this annoying screen pops-up every time I boot.
    >
    > I don't think my network admins fully understand how this utility
    > works, as they instructed me to just 'X' it out. They say if I hit any
    > other button in the box, I'll lose my IP and destroy the world.
    >
    > I found sysprep.exe & sysprep.ini in the /I386/ folder. Can I just
    > delete them?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > A_C

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    OK, so the OP says he doesn't think his sysadmins understand the
    utility, so he seeks help here. Respondent says:

    >I suggest contacting you administration/network support personnel.

    Gee thanks.

    If you don't work for Microsoft, you should… and to think I could
    have paid $35 for that answer!

    A_C
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Agent_C wrote:

    > OK, so the OP says he doesn't think his sysadmins understand the
    > utility, so he seeks help here. Respondent says:
    >
    >>I suggest contacting you administration/network support personnel.
    >
    > Gee thanks.
    >
    > If you don't work for Microsoft, you should… and to think I could
    > have paid $35 for that answer!

    It's not the OP's responsibility to setup and run the
    sysprep utility. It is the support personnel who have that
    responsibility. He/she HAS to go back to them. If he/she
    still doesn't get satisfaction the he/she should go to their
    manager.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:05:54 +1200, Enkidu <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com>
    wrote:

    >It's not the OP's responsibility to setup and run the
    >sysprep utility. It is the support personnel who have that
    >responsibility. He/she HAS to go back to them. If he/she
    >still doesn't get satisfaction the he/she should go to their
    >manager.

    In a perfect world, yes; but I don't want to make a federal case out
    of this, I just want to put this annoying pop-up window to bed.

    I have administrative rights to my machine, so I don't absolutely
    _have_ to go through them - Particularly if they don't know what
    they're doing.

    A_C
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Looks like you don't know what you are doing either.
    Tell you support personnel to remove your local admin rights.

    By the way, what makes you think it is the Sysprep windows that magically
    popup?

    Ever thought it could be a spyware or a viruses.....you do have admin
    rights, so you are expose to those threats...

    "Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:05:54 +1200, Enkidu <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It's not the OP's responsibility to setup and run the
    >>sysprep utility. It is the support personnel who have that
    >>responsibility. He/she HAS to go back to them. If he/she
    >>still doesn't get satisfaction the he/she should go to their
    >>manager.
    >
    > In a perfect world, yes; but I don't want to make a federal case out
    > of this, I just want to put this annoying pop-up window to bed.
    >
    > I have administrative rights to my machine, so I don't absolutely
    > _have_ to go through them - Particularly if they don't know what
    > they're doing.
    >
    > A_C
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    AN dto get this back on track

    take a look at qb 287506
    "Hugo" <Hugo@videotron.com> wrote in message
    > Looks like you don't know what you are doing either.
    > Tell you support personnel to remove your local admin rights.
    >
    > By the way, what makes you think it is the Sysprep windows that magically
    > popup?
    >
    > Ever thought it could be a spyware or a viruses.....you do have admin
    > rights, so you are expose to those threats...
    >

    > "Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:05:54 +1200, Enkidu <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>It's not the OP's responsibility to setup and run the
    > >>sysprep utility. It is the support personnel who have that
    > >>responsibility. He/she HAS to go back to them. If he/she
    > >>still doesn't get satisfaction the he/she should go to their
    > >>manager.
    > >
    > > In a perfect world, yes; but I don't want to make a federal case out
    > > of this, I just want to put this annoying pop-up window to bed.
    > >
    > > I have administrative rights to my machine, so I don't absolutely
    > > _have_ to go through them - Particularly if they don't know what
    > > they're doing.
    > >
    > > A_C

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:01:18 +0200, "Mats" <matsmcp@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >AN dto get this back on track

    Well, it turned out to be a simple matter to put this thing to bed.

    I just deleted the sysprep.* files and pulled all the entries out of
    the registry. Rebooted and it's gone.

    I just wish I could have gotten a straight answer from the get-go.
    Instead, all I got was a lot of misinformation and a couple of
    pinheads remarks.

    I can't remember when a Microsoft.public.* newsgroup was less helpful.

    A_C
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    With the information you gave us first....I was really hard for us to
    troubleshoot your problem.

    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:01:18 +0200, "Mats" <matsmcp@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>AN dto get this back on track
    >
    > Well, it turned out to be a simple matter to put this thing to bed.
    >
    > I just deleted the sysprep.* files and pulled all the entries out of
    > the registry. Rebooted and it's gone.
    >
    > I just wish I could have gotten a straight answer from the get-go.
    > Instead, all I got was a lot of misinformation and a couple of
    > pinheads remarks.
    >
    > I can't remember when a Microsoft.public.* newsgroup was less helpful.
    >
    > A_C

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hunter1 wrote:
    > Not to mention that with that complete lack of any conciseness as to the
    > problem it didn't help when he arrogantly replied to people trying to
    > guess at his vague problem with comments like "if it was that simple I
    > wouldn't have bothered to ask".

    Let it go sweetheart...

    A_C
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hunter1 wrote:
    > You're the one huffing and puffing and flinging around blood-drenched
    > tampons [...]

    ROTFLMAO - Does your mother know you're such a potty mouth?

    A_C
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hugo wrote:
    > With the information you gave us first....I was really hard for us to
    > troubleshoot your problem.
    >
    > "Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Well, it turned out to be a simple matter to put this thing to bed.
    >>
    >>I just deleted the sysprep.* files and pulled all the entries out of
    >>the registry. Rebooted and it's gone.
    >>
    >>I just wish I could have gotten a straight answer from the get-go.
    >>Instead, all I got was a lot of misinformation and a couple of
    >>pinheads remarks.
    >>
    >>I can't remember when a Microsoft.public.* newsgroup was less helpful.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Agent_C wrote:
    > Hunter1 wrote:
    >
    >>Not to mention that with that complete lack of any conciseness as to the
    >>problem it didn't help when he arrogantly replied to people trying to
    >>guess at his vague problem with comments like "if it was that simple I
    >>wouldn't have bothered to ask".
    >
    > Let it go sweetheart...

    You're the one huffing and puffing and flinging around blood-drenched
    tampons all because you didn't have a clue what you were doing. Only one
    pinhead I can see in this thread.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Agent_C wrote:
    > Hunter1 wrote:
    >
    >>You're the one huffing and puffing and flinging around blood-drenched
    >>tampons [...]
    >

    > ROTFLMAO - Does your mother know you're such a potty mouth?

    You should hear her, she puts me to shame!
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Let it go Hunter1

    As you can see, we are dealing with a kid here....

    "Hunter1" <hunter1@arach.net.au> wrote in message
    > Agent_C wrote:
    >> Hunter1 wrote:
    >>
    >>>You're the one huffing and puffing and flinging around blood-drenched
    >>>tampons [...]
    >>

    >> ROTFLMAO - Does your mother know you're such a potty mouth?
    >

    > You should hear her, she puts me to shame!

Microsoft Windows XP